[2.1] Caustic Arrow MF Guide 340+ IIR/45+ IIQ [HC/SC Viable]

Now that caustic arrow is enhanced with the new poison skills and gems, should I still wait until around 55 to 60 to switch? I hated leveling with fire totem even when I had fire damage passive, I'd love to switch as early as possible :(

Unless perhaps there's a good bow skill you'd recommend leveling on?
Last edited by vampwar on Dec 16, 2015, 7:08:21 PM
"
vampwar wrote:
Now that caustic arrow is enhanced with the new poison skills and gems, should I still wait until around 55 to 60 to switch? I hated leveling with fire totem even when I had fire damage passive, I'd love to switch as early as possible :(

Im currently lvl 58, I lvled with split arrow(later tornado shot) and caustic arrow.

It was slow as f***, and I dont recommend it.
"
consca wrote:
Noob question from a person who's never played PA before. What's the purpose of having the Frenzy charges in this build?

Frenxy charges simply adds a "more" damage multiplier, increasing the damage of your Caustic Arrow =)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
"
Noob question here also. I have watched the old video you have for the this build and you show your armour with 6 gems a 4 link and 2 link. The new updated guide only show "Vulnerability, Vaal Lightning Trap, Multiple Traps & Blood Magic". Do you want to run this in a 4 link only using just what the new guide show for Gems or follow the video?

Use the new setup =)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
"
Frenxy charges simply adds a "more" damage multiplier, increasing the damage of your Caustic Arrow =)

Thanks LNB. Another question, this time about Vaal Lightning Trap. Perhaps I'm not doing it correctly, but I don't get much utility out of it as the shocked ground doesn't last for very long, and Multiple Traps just uses up all the Souls at one go. Is it worth the trouble or are there similar alternatives, e.g. Spell Totem + Wither?
"
xmirin wrote:
"
vampwar wrote:

Im currently lvl 58, I lvled with split arrow(later tornado shot) and caustic arrow.

It was slow as f***, and I dont recommend it.

At first I was agreeing with you, but after spending a few chaos for a decent weapon, i went from middle of act 4 to finishing act 2 in 3 hours, which is easily a record for me on any build, as I don't skip tons of mobs then spend a long time doing docks/ledge/lake

In the end, I'd say split/caustic with a decoy totem is fast enough, for now. Running a 32 bow, i'll keep the same one as long as i can 2 shot a whole screen with split.

Speaking of caustic, i havent put anything yet into chaos damage/dot and the poison cloud is already beginning to be noticeable in damage, I love this build so far, I'm happy I took the plunge.

The only change I'll do is take survivalist as well as cloth and chain at first to help with resists until I can afford to cap them, then gradually refund them and get straight life as my gear improves.
I don't know why they are complaining. I made half way on white items. Build is easy to navigate for newbs - and I am playing for the first time. Maybe there are faster killing machines but for horse crap gear its doing fine. As I am softcore I even think I'll divert some of the life specs to more damage. Thx for taking the time to share it with us.
I have a few questions for the experienced Scion-Rangers:

1. Where is the video guide mention is the original post?

2. What bow is preferable for low, mid, and high levels?

3. What bow is good to level up in general?

4. What is a good set up of gems to have on Tabula Rasa just for leveling up purposes (Until 60+-), say perhaps with Rain of Arrows or Lightning Arrows.
"
gotischer wrote:
I have a few questions for the experienced Scion-Rangers:

1. Where is the video guide mention is the original post?

2. What bow is preferable for low, mid, and high levels?

3. What bow is good to level up in general?

4. What is a good set up of gems to have on Tabula Rasa just for leveling up purposes (Until 60+-), say perhaps with Rain of Arrows or Lightning Arrows.

1) The videoguide can be found on youtube under the name poison arrow in his youtube channel. In an earlier page, he mentioned that it's not included anymore in the page because it's not updated.

2 and 3) there's 2 choices here. One is to use flame totem either with tabula, or with a red socket night's hold, the level 10 added chaos socket makes it extreely powerful until your 40's, some say 50's. I tried the tabula, and when i found out about night's hold i was already level 50 so I couldn't test it out anymore.

The other option is to level as bows. I leveled both with flame totem and bows, fuck flame totem, even with a tabula rasa. What I did was use split for crowds, and caustic for single target. I bought a cheap craghead quiver, and a quill rain for level 6. At level 14, I switched to a 60+ dps bow, got it for 1 chaos beginning of league so it should be cheap now, that's 50% more damage. At 23, I switched to a 125dps bow, then at 38 I switched for a 215dps decurve bow. Split arrow cleared everything in the screen in 1 or 2 casts, CA did well against single targets due to the 25% physical damage converted to poison.

As for links, I had CA, SA, PPAD, slower projectile, added fire (scales off physical, which itself is buffed by the "more" bonus, then itself is being buffed from the "more" bonus again), and Faster attack/chain. I used chain for levels clearing, faster attack for bosses, switching. It cleared everything extremely easily until around level 60. Then, I switched to CA, leeched a few docks/lake runs, damage started becoming good enough to solo lake at reasonable speeds around 67. Oh, I also kept a crap 25% physical damage talisman, that heped a lot, and 2 iron rings with +damage on them.

I bought all my bows in advance so I wouldn't waste time at every step as well, and leveled with a hatred aura, since it scales off physical. I made it to merciless act 4 around 15 hours played, which is a new record for me, so I think it went great.

I also saved the bows on a separate tab with other leveling gear, that way future toons will level easier and faster.
Last edited by vampwar on Dec 22, 2015, 9:45:57 PM
hi there

i am level 42 (just finished Normal difficulty) and the dps is awful with the 4L.

i wanted to switch the AOE with slower projectiles, is that worth it ?
(while waiting for a 5 or 6L)

thanks
Last edited by frenchlion on Dec 24, 2015, 6:08:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info