Increased Critical Strikes

Based on base crit. EK base crit is 5%. Double 5% = 10%.
IGN: Troheim

Item Shop: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/368180
The quality bonus on this is underwhelming. It seems absurd additional accuracy quality would gives twice the amount of critical chances of this one. And elemental hit or dual strike, four times? Ugh...
This gem is way, way underpowered. In passive tree, a common critical strike chance passive gives +15% bonus, and common critical strike multiplier passive gives +10% bonus (ratio 1.5:1). But 20/20 increased critical multiplier gem gives +149% bonus, and increased critical strikes gem gives just 127% - much lower ratio, than we could expect... And it's too small bonus to be useful.
I think that critical strike chance, given by this gem, should be increased, up to 180% approximately for 20/20 gem (considering it costs a bit less than increased critical multiplier).
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Considering this gem, at level 20 with 20 quality gives 125% increased critical strike chance, and using a power charge on crit gem, at any point where you have enough crit chance to sustain 3 charges gives you 150% critical strike chance, this gem fails miserably at its own job.

My suggestion is completely change the idea of this gem. instead of increasing the critical strike chance let this gem ADD critical strike chance to the base of the attack. lets say level 1 gem zero quality adds 1% to the base critical strike chance (aka freezing pulse base crit chance is 6%, with this gem attacked it would be 7%) at level 20 with 20 quality have the gem give around 3% base crit chance to the ability. I think this would create an entirely new opportunity for crit based builds, while taking a 2hand mace from 5% or 6% crit to 8 or 9% crit would be absolutely huge taking a 12% dagger to 15% wouldn't have as massive of an impact, I don't think it would push any of the current crit based talents in to the realm of absurd damage but it would let some previously ignored abilities step up to the crit chance plate, crit ice nova maybe?

"
Elijahph wrote:
Considering this gem, at level 20 with 20 quality gives 125% increased critical strike chance, and using a power charge on crit gem, at any point where you have enough crit chance to sustain 3 charges gives you 150% critical strike chance, this gem fails miserably at its own job.

My suggestion is completely change the idea of this gem. instead of increasing the critical strike chance let this gem ADD critical strike chance to the base of the attack. lets say level 1 gem zero quality adds 1% to the base critical strike chance (aka freezing pulse base crit chance is 6%, with this gem attacked it would be 7%) at level 20 with 20 quality have the gem give around 3% base crit chance to the ability. I think this would create an entirely new opportunity for crit based builds, while taking a 2hand mace from 5% or 6% crit to 8 or 9% crit would be absolutely huge taking a 12% dagger to 15% wouldn't have as massive of an impact, I don't think it would push any of the current crit based talents in to the realm of absurd damage but it would let some previously ignored abilities step up to the crit chance plate, crit ice nova maybe?

I think it should add to the final critical strike chance, just like critical weakness curse does. Then, with correct numbers, it could be useful when you want to have some crit, but dont have enough to use "power charge on critical" well, or/and if your skill has inferior base critical strike chance.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Yeah, just echoing the general sentiment in here that this gem is undertuned. It struggles to find a place in almost any build, as far as I can tell - it's not that extra crit chance isn't bad, but that it offers too little to be worth the opportunity cost in almost all cases.
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

I think it should add to the final critical strike chance, just like critical weakness curse does. Then, with correct numbers, it could be useful when you want to have some crit, but dont have enough to use "power charge on critical" well, or/and if your skill has inferior base critical strike chance.

really like this idea. hope they tweak this gem, it is quite close to being useless, the way it is.
@GrimBandit
I feel this support gem is underpowered as well. I think it would be very interesting if it would increase the base crit chance of the attack it is linked to by 1%. Each level would increase the global crit chance.

For example Fireball has a base critical strike chance of 6%. Linked with this version of increased critical strike, this would increase to a base of 7%. It would work in a similar way for weapon related skills.
No nagging for over 7 months? Something should be done about this gem. More crit chance then the base 3 power charges would be a good start. 125% at 20/20 is not worth the gem slot in almost any case. Maybe buff it up to 200% at max gem level/quality.
I agree with most of what has been said already. This gem was already weak as increased crit chance (at max 120%) for a gem slot is not really worth giving up an extra link compared to using more damage supports. Now that power charge on crit has been released, this support has become even more embarassing since any crit build will get way more utility out of power charge on crit just from the three base power charges (150%, or 200% if you get Alira).

I'd actually be more interested in giving this gem not increased chance to crit, but rather additional chance to crit, kind of like what assassin's mark does. I think that, especially since power charge on crit has been released, the gem would be a lot more interesting this way. In particular this would really help in giving low crit weapons/items a way to beef up their crit chance more effectively.
@Moylin (Beyond)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info