Increased Area of Effect

I don't feel this gem does nearly enough for a support gem, especially given its high mana cost multiplier. I think it deserves a much more noticeable area increase, similar to the impact of supports like LMP and Chain.

So I'd propose something like:
20% less damage
60% more Area of Effect (gemlvl 1)
79% more Area of Effect (gemlvl 20)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
yeah unless youve stacked some increased aoe passives the gem is pretty lackluster.
right now it goes from 14-33%+upt to 10% from quality.
i would totally support a change to scaling from say 18% to 38%.
60% increased aoe would be out of control though.
its have to be 50% less damage then.

12% is very lackluster for 140%mana mult.
needs early increase to say 15% or 18%,
or maybe scaling mana mult from 130-150%.
Increase AoE gem MUST be buffed x3-x4 times, its not worth a lot with weak bonus of AoE that use SOME players, most think (and its true) that its pretty week and useless as it now.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
Please give some love to this gem. The mana multiplier is huge for an admittedly minor effect. I see two possible avenues for this gem:

1) Give no mana multiplier and keep the current form. This would function as a utility support, giving spells a quality of life upgrade since giving up a gem link is a huge sacrifice.

2) Buff the amount of AOE, as the current amount just isn't worth giving up a link. If the increase was larger, then the skill could really help out some skills to be better at AOE clearing. As it is, I don't think it will really improve it that much.

There's a problem with needing "enough to get everything". Namely, if you can't clear an entire group with one ability, then the area modifiers you spent aren't so useful. It's like if you do 99 damage but the enemy has 100 HP. You might as well just as had 50 damage since it still takes two hits to kill them. This is the same thing with this skill, only with area. I think as a result of this effect this gem is much less useful than it could be.

I think the common theme here is that this support just isn't worth the link. So the real question to answer is what needs to happen for this gem to be worth (at least sometimes) giving up a link.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Does anyone know if this gem interacts with melee splash? It says it's an aoe in the melee splash gem, but do support gems support support gems that are supporting active gems?
"
ebouw wrote:
Does anyone know if this gem interacts with melee splash? It says it's an aoe in the melee splash gem, but do support gems support support gems that are supporting active gems?
yes but this is how it works:

first, active skill gets all effects of linked supports even if they may or may not apply.
next, all new relevant effects are boosted where able.

people have been boosting the AoE size of proliferation with increased AoE on a single target skill (burning arrow for example). this works because burning arrow gains the ability to apply a debuff with an AoE duration limited by the status effects caused. because this debuff is within the active skill, the increased AoE can now "work".
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I think it deserves a much more noticeable area increase, similar to the impact of supports like LMP

This is a pretty good point. LMP increases coverage 300%, shotguns with some skills (giving them a ~2.1 multiplier to damage), and is resistant to Desync.

Area is a circle, so:

Without Increased AoE: 3.14
With Increased: 1.4 ^ 2 * 3.14 = 6.15

To be comparable with LMP the area would have to be around 9.4, so the radius would need to be the square root of three. Which is ~1.73.

I'm not advocating for it to be changed to that full 73% increased radius number; honestly I'd be happy with it in the 50 to 60% range.

Honestly radius feels like a stat that's been a little too conservative in balance. That an entire stat point only gets you +4%, compared to the +100 life or +200 to +800 dps that point could have been instead... eh. It's a powerful stat that could do great things if it were possible to accrue a lot of it, but compared to every skill being Split Arrow... eh.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Sep 22, 2014, 2:11:05 AM
Been using this in a few builds, my opinion, it shouldnt have a multiplier, if it does it should it should be brought down to like 110% and the quality should be brought up or the base % by 20 percent or soo (1% per quality or quality kept at .5 but the base percent changed to be increased overall).

Its on par with stun and knockback, its really not very helpful but it added a separate play style.

Id really like to see this changed soo it has no mana multiplier.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Oct 8, 2014, 11:56:18 PM
"
Avelice wrote:
Please give some love to this gem. The mana multiplier is huge for an admittedly minor effect. I see two possible avenues for this gem:

1) Give no mana multiplier and keep the current form. This would function as a utility support, giving spells a quality of life upgrade since giving up a gem link is a huge sacrifice.

2) Buff the amount of AOE, as the current amount just isn't worth giving up a link. If the increase was larger, then the skill could really help out some skills to be better at AOE clearing. As it is, I don't think it will really improve it that much.

There's a problem with needing "enough to get everything". Namely, if you can't clear an entire group with one ability, then the area modifiers you spent aren't so useful. It's like if you do 99 damage but the enemy has 100 HP. You might as well just as had 50 damage since it still takes two hits to kill them. This is the same thing with this skill, only with area. I think as a result of this effect this gem is much less useful than it could be.

I think the common theme here is that this support just isn't worth the link. So the real question to answer is what needs to happen for this gem to be worth (at least sometimes) giving up a link.
Yeah, its a very artificial DPS boost. You hit more targets for significanly less damage (because with that single socket you could be doing significantly more damage by simply replacing it).

I like to think of it as a play style. Sometimes people add knockback/stun just for fun, i see increased aoe the same way. Its a fun way to spice up a skill, its simply utility.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Oct 8, 2014, 11:58:33 PM
The other downside of this gem is that it's useful only when it has high level AND quality.

I generally like the idea of increased AoE, but the numerical values for this gem are just too low. Either AoE boost should be increased, or mana multiplier lowered (or both).

IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info