Increased Area of Effect

Exactly how is "Increased Area of Effect" calculated?

is it diameter of a skill +XX%
or
is it radius of a skill +(XX%*diameter)
reason i ask?

Cyclone have "lets say" 10 range. from edge to edge.

when adding 20% to this, it will have 12range. correct?

this will be added as +1 range from the center to the edge ending up whit a 12 range edge to edge.

some people i have talked to, are convinded that this +2 added in range is added from center to the edge. giving it a 7 range from mid to edge. (total of 14 range edge to edge)

my best guess is the first one i presented.
witch one is the right one?
can you (a mod) post the calculations made on a "simple" skill like Sweep or Cyclone.

IGN: Nivius
Ty for scam <3
Last edited by Nivius on Mar 24, 2013, 11:49:23 AM
"edge to edge" is diameter which is double that of radius, so isn't used in terms. all skills with an AoE uses radius as the size measurement.

melee weapons have 4 radius for 1 handed and 5 radius for 2 handed. cyclone uses weapon range for its AoE size. 5 * 120% = 6
cyclone is affected by Master of the Arena passive node, which gives +2 to melee range. lets say someone has +50% to AoE size this time and one handed weapons and that passive, so : (4 +2) * 150% = 9

radius is from, center to edge.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Mar 24, 2013, 1:21:41 PM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"edge to edge" is diameter which is double that of radius, so isn't used in terms. all skills with an AoE uses radius as the size measurement.

melee weapons have 4 radius for 1 handed and 5 radius for 2 handed. cyclone uses weapon range for its AoE size. 5 * 120% = 6
cyclone is affected by Master of the Arena passive node, which gives +2 to melee range. lets say someone has +50% to AoE size this time and one handed weapons and that passive, so : (4 +2) * 150% = 9

radius is from, center to edge.

Are you sure that this is how it works?

So unarmed have 3 range, 1h weapons 4 range and 2h weapons 5 base range.

Then can somebody explain me why I noticed significantly less area of effect while using Cyclone skill with my 2h sword than while using Cyclone skill unarmed?

With 2h sword I'm using:

Cyclone 20% quality gem ( 20% inc area of effect radius )
Concentrated Effect gem ( -30% inc area of effect radius )
Amplify node ( 12% inc area of effect radius )
2 x Area of effect nodes ( 2x4%=8% Area of effect nodes )
Master of the arena node ( +2 melee weapon range )

which in total = 10% skill area of effect radius increase

So according to you I should have (5+2) * 110% = 7.7 range

With Unarmed:

Cyclone 20% quality gem ( 20% inc area of effect radius )
Concentrated Effect gem ( -30% inc area of effect radius )
Amplify node ( 12% inc area of effect radius )
Blast Radius node ( 8% inc area of effect radius )
5 x Area of effect nodes ( 5x4%=20% Area of effect nodes )
Master of the arena node ( +2 melee weapon range )
Carcass Jack Unique Chest ( 20% inc area of effect radius )

which in total = 50% skill area of effect radius increase

So according to you I should have (3+2) * 150% = 7.5 range

Can any MOD answer our questions? I would appreciate that!
ign: Xeplion
unarmed is range 4, same as 1 handed.
and the reason why your 2h is less is because your AoE passives are different too.

6 *1.5 = 9

9 > 7.7
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
unarmed is range 4, same as 1 handed.
and the reason why your 2h is less is because your AoE passives are different too.

6 *1.5 = 9

9 > 7.7

Are you sure that unarmed range is 4? Any1 else can confirm that?
well... for one you yourself proved it... i only fixed your math which also happened to match and answer your initial statement of:
"
Texazon wrote:
Then can somebody explain me why I noticed significantly less area of effect while using Cyclone skill with my 2h sword than while using Cyclone skill unarmed?

i'm extremely certain i read a post from mark when someone was asking about the master of arena passive, he said 1h and unarmed were one range (4) and 2 handed was another (5).
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Apr 8, 2013, 7:35:27 PM
I've noticed that a lot of AoE builds don't use this support, choosing instead ones that up their damage, or in some cases getting radius bonuses from quality or from talents. I think it would be nice to give this gem a little bit of a boost. Compared to the effect of faster projectiles or LMP/GMP the amount of extra stuff you get to hit by adding this gem feels low.

So my suggestion is to keep the current numbers, but change it from "increased" to "more," so that people who already have increased AoE from other sources will still find this gem attractive.
"
I've noticed that a lot of AoE builds don't use this support, choosing instead ones that up their damage, or in some cases getting radius bonuses from quality or from talents. I think it would be nice to give this gem a little bit of a boost. Compared to the effect of faster projectiles or LMP/GMP the amount of extra stuff you get to hit by adding this gem feels low.

So my suggestion is to keep the current numbers, but change it from "increased" to "more," so that people who already have increased AoE from other sources will still find this gem attractive.

This is actually a very good idea.
"

+
IGN: Smegacore
I agree, this gem seems a bit underpowered and out of place. Most AoE builds prefer to get AoE nodes from the tree, and use a gem, that adds MORE damage. All curses and auras have innate AoE increase from leveling and quality (for auras), so there is no point to link this gem with them.
More area of effect, or just better scaling should help...
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info