Concentrate Area of Effect

does it work with curses?
"
DenzelW wrote:
does it work with curses?

Unavailable

The support boosts the damage of AoE abilities while decreasing their area. It can't boost the damage of a curse because curses don't do any damage on their own. So it would probably just reduce the radius to no good effect.

Edit: I just tested it to make sure, and it does decrease the area. I didn't notice any difference between curses with and without the support, other than area.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jan 26, 2012, 12:46:08 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
I have a question regarding Poison Arrow that is modded by this support.

* Does it work?
* If so, does it modify the dot only aspect, i.e. the cloud?

When I use it with my poison arrow, it shoots the mana way up, but I have no idea if the actual benefit is there to warrant it.
From the very brief testing I did, I did not notice any difference in the total damage between poison arrow and poison arrow linked with concentrated AoE. It seems to decrease the AoE without any benefit.

A few of us inquired about it in the poison arrow thread as well, so I have no idea if it's intended behavior. Given the roundabout method by which poison arrow does damage (creating a projectile that creates an AoE that creates a debuff), I would guess that it might be tricky to fix, if it is unintended.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
From the very brief testing I did, I did not notice any difference in the total damage between poison arrow and poison arrow linked with concentrated AoE. It seems to decrease the AoE without any benefit.

A few of us inquired about it in the poison arrow thread as well, so I have no idea if it's intended behavior. Given the roundabout method by which poison arrow does damage (creating a projectile that creates an AoE that creates a debuff), I would guess that it might be tricky to fix, if it is unintended.
It's known and unintended - concentrate effect should only be able to support skills which do damage in an area, but currently due to the way restrictions are done it affects anything with an area. It can also be used on curses the same way. This will be fixed in future.
It doesn't seem to do anything but hinder Fireball (less area, no damage change on char sheet or tooltip).

Is this correct? It hits in an AoE...I would assume it would affect the damage and add to things like burning...
"
sanddemon wrote:
It doesn't seem to do anything but hinder Fireball (less area, no damage change on char sheet or tooltip).

Is this correct? It hits in an AoE...I would assume it would affect the damage and add to things like burning...
It does increase damage on the explosion (because that is area damage) but not the pierce (which only hits the one pierced enemy).
It doesn't show on the tooltip because the base damage of fireball isn't considered area damage because it's applied in both area and non-area forms - the 'area' attribute is applied at the point explosion damage is calculated, which makes the concentrated effect apply to it.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
sanddemon wrote:

It does increase damage on the explosion (because that is area damage) but not the pierce (which only hits the one pierced enemy).
It doesn't show on the tooltip because the base damage of fireball isn't considered area damage because it's applied in both area and non-area forms - the 'area' attribute is applied at the point explosion damage is calculated, which makes the concentrated effect apply to it.

So the guy getting hit will take less, than those around the explosion. That kinda sucks for burning though - the idea was to take concentrated AoE and focus on the burn but with what you said the burn wouldn't actually increase because it's not the pierce.

Right?
Last edited by sanddemon on Feb 28, 2012, 8:34:07 PM
"
sanddemon wrote:
So the guy getting hit will take less, than those around the explosion. That kinda sucks for burning though - the idea was to take concentrated AoE and focus on the burn but with what you said the burn wouldn't actually increase because it's not the pierce.
If you hit a guy with fireball and it explodes, he (and everyone close to him) takes explosion damage. If you have pierce chance then it might go through him damaging him with non-area damage, and explode against a later target.

Burning damage is based on how much fire damage you dealt in the initial hit, so anyone caught in the explosion will take more burning damage than someone it just pierces through and moves on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info