Concentrate Area of Effect

"
Vipermagi wrote:
As always, all sources of Increased and Reduced are additive. More and Less are multiplicative.
+14 + -30 = -16% Radius

Your math, first off, doesn't seem to match the quote.

Second, I have no idea where the OP got those numbers, so I wanted this clarified.

Increased AoE Support would be 30% increased AoE at level 1.
Concentrated Effect Support would be 30% less AoE at level 1.

Therefore, the AoE should be:
(1 [base AoE]+.30 [Inc AoE]) * (1-.30 [total multiplier for Conc Effect])

1.3 * .7 = .91 = 91% of base AoE.

This is correct, isn't it?

Edit: Whoops, necro'd. That radius probably did work correctly back then.
Last edited by Altemeus on Mar 30, 2019, 7:51:40 AM
"
Altemeus wrote:
This is correct, isn't it?

You are indeed correct :) As the post you quoted mentions, More and Less are multiplicative modifiers, and these days Concentrated Effect is actually a Less-type modifier. This makes it a separate multiplier from the Inc AoE Support and other related Increased Radius modifiers.

(and yes, a lot has changed in four years, hahah)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 31, 2019, 7:50:08 AM
My feedback is about concentrated effect and essence drain / soulrend.

Lets start with example that I understand: death aura + arcane surge + less duration. Death aura has no duration and has no duration tag. Arcane surge adds duration tag, but aura still has no duration. Less duration support literally "Supports any skill that has a duration". And it works on death aura without any duration but with a duration tag. Tags matters. Gem description not.

Lets move to ED/SR, AoE tag and concentrated effect support. Concentrated effect support "Supports any skill with an area of effect, regardless of whether that skill deals damage". Both ED and SR has some kind of area of effect, right? CF support and this spells has AoE tag. But CE does not work with them. Tags and gem description does not matter at all.

I can see a bad realization in here. Looks like programmer who was making ED and SR forgot to add area parameter to them and just hardcoded that area. And things that should affect area parameter just can't do that and only dirty hack here is to disable them for that gems.
This support does work with those skills, it's just those skills don't do area damage so this support has no positive effects. There is no mistaken programming here.
Oooooh, I've got it. So applying dot to all targets in some area is something else and not actually dealing damage in that area? Or if that skills would damage all targets in that area while they are in that area, that would be area damage, but applying dot debuff is not. So if some skill would apply a debuff to all targets in some area, that instantly hits, that also would no be considered as area damage because spell itself deals no damage...

That is a bit weird for me. Like "ED deals no damage, it is harmless spell. Debuff that ED applies to target in the area is harmful, but ED itself is totally harmless" o)

But thank you, I've got the idea.
"
LordOmni wrote:
Oooooh, I've got it. So applying dot to all targets in some area is something else and not actually dealing damage in that area?

I think the more correct answer to this is that Area Damage is hit-only. As an example, the old ailment system allowed you to stack AoE damage on the initial hit, and then double dip in providing the DoT increased initial damage and a second stack as increased AoE for the ailment. This meant a 30% increased area damage would effectively give 30% increased hit damage and 69% increased ailment damage, or something else of similar scaling. The way they fixed it was by deciding that area damage was hit-only, which ultimately gave 30% increased initial hit damage, but now does absolutely nothing for the ailment, since it doesn't really behave like an AoE at that point, I suppose.

So, overall, if it isn't instant on-hit damage, Area Damage (and the other modified types: Melee, Projectile I think were the only others that now have zero effect on the DoT portion) will not effect damage over time. Some others will still effect those ailments, but not a double dip like before (poisons are effected by Chaos, Trap, Minion, Totem, and General damages, if the type fits the damage dealt).
So im confused, i want to use concentrated effect with detonate dead but in only adds the smaller area part to the description. When i link concentrated effect to something else (like zombies) it adds both the damage and the area part to the description. So is the damage working with detonate dead or is not?!? Thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info