Caustic Arrow

does concentrated effect work with the dot portion of the ability?

also ... +buff duration and increased duration add time to the dot on mobs correct?
IGN: @Chopatron
can someone that knows make a list of things that increases poison arrows damage and which increase which duration please? im pretty sure ive already wasted a couple passive points ... its kinda confusing.
IGN: @Chopatron
"
Chopatron wrote:
increased duration add time to the dot on mobs correct?

Yes, i can confirm this part.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
mirelitbab wrote:
If you use the Pierce support gem and/or the chance to pierce passives then when you aim at a monster with Poison Arrow, you might pierce the mob, leaving a cloud around the pierced target and the arrow will keep flying, potentially piercing more enemies (=more clouds) and leaving a last cloud on the final impact (max. range, didn't pierce or a wall). I realy like this feature, even if it wasn't intended to work like this.

It can also clear mobs behind corners with the corner bug.

It would be interesting if the Added Cold Damage gem worked with the cloud too. :D

Lvl 42 bow ranger with +bow dmg passives mainly. Works like a charm on normal monsters around the end of Act 2, Cruel. I might try the skill duration passives too, sounds realy good.
That's very strange, because other projectile skills with special on-hit effects DON'T work that way. Ice Spear doesn't get its additional crit chance if you add pierce chance to it, and Fireball doesn't deal any AoE damage if you give it pierce.
"
Strill wrote:
"
mirelitbab wrote:
If you use the Pierce support gem and/or the chance to pierce passives then when you aim at a monster with Poison Arrow, you might pierce the mob, leaving a cloud around the pierced target and the arrow will keep flying, potentially piercing more enemies (=more clouds) and leaving a last cloud on the final impact (max. range, didn't pierce or a wall). I realy like this feature, even if it wasn't intended to work like this.

It can also clear mobs behind corners with the corner bug.

It would be interesting if the Added Cold Damage gem worked with the cloud too. :D

Lvl 42 bow ranger with +bow dmg passives mainly. Works like a charm on normal monsters around the end of Act 2, Cruel. I might try the skill duration passives too, sounds realy good.
That's very strange, because other projectile skills with special on-hit effects DON'T work that way. Ice Spear doesn't get its additional crit chance if you add pierce chance to it, and Fireball doesn't deal any AoE damage if you give it pierce.
Fireball was specifically decided that the AoE is only when the fireball actually explodes.

Ice spear has nothing to do with pierce - it gets it's extra crit in it's second form and not in it's first, and the form is determined entirely by how far it's traveled and has nothing to do with whether it's pierced anything.
If you apply pierce support to ice spear then the second form can pierce and will have the increased crit chance for everything it hits.
"
Chopatron wrote:
does concentrated effect work with the dot portion of the ability?

I'm curious as to whether this is intended to work or not, because my testing would seem to indicate that it doesn't.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
I noticed the same results, Concentrated effect reduced the AoE radius of poison cloud, but the DoT ticked for same amount as without. Only method I can think of to increase the DoT damage would be cursing with Vulnerability.
"
Chopatron wrote:
im pretty sure ive already wasted a couple passive points ... its kinda confusing.

Are you referring to the small cluster of +15% increased skill duration nodes very close to the ranger's starting location on the passive tree? Do those not affect poison arrow at all? Do they increase the time enemies remain poisoned after they leave the cloud? Do they increase the time that the cloud remains? None of the above?

Edit: Well, I've done a little bit of testing on this, and it does seem that increases to skill duration do lengthen the time enemies remain poisoned. It does not increase the duration of the cloud though. To test this, I found an enemy with fast natural movement (a hellion) and fired a poison arrow at it and then began running directly away from it before it could close the distance to melee range. Then I counted the time it took for the poison to wear off. I wanted a fast moving enemy so that it would move out of the cloud almost instantly. I was using a level 5 gem with 2.9 seconds on it and it took about 4.5 seconds of poison damage with all three nodes active (45% increase).

I assume the same would be true of an Increased Duration support gem. This being the case, one can use increased duration to increase Poison Arrow damage by lengthening the duration of the DoT.
Last edited by Shadowstorm on Feb 1, 2012, 7:39:12 AM
"
Shadowstorm wrote:
Are you referring to the small cluster of +15% increased skill duration nodes very close to the ranger's starting location on the passive tree? Do those not affect poison arrow at all? Do they increase the time enemies remain poisoned after they leave the cloud? Do they increase the time that the cloud remains? None of the above?
Skill duration increase increases both the cloud duration and the duration of the debuff it places on monsters. Buff durations applies only to the debuff, not the cloud.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Skill duration increase increases both the cloud duration and the duration of the debuff it places on monsters. Buff durations applies only to the debuff, not the cloud.

Thanks for the clarification. Measuring the length of the cloud was difficult because it was hard to tell exactly when the cloud was gone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info