Caustic Arrow

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jun 19, 2016, 8:24:17 PM
Last bumped on May 13, 2023, 7:59:51 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
ShadowUltra wrote:
While using Multiple Projectile on this skill, is it supposed to not spread poison clouds with the additional projectiles?
They will make extra clouds when they hit things, but turns out there was some weird behaviour going on with multipler projectiles on arrows which didn't hit anyone.
I've fixed it up now for 0.9.5
"
Tabesh wrote:
This leads me to believe the only thing affected by the gem stats would be the lingering poison. If this is the case, then why? The only thing I can think of is to reduce the effectiveness of support gems on the lingering poison, while allowing full benefit to the stationary cloud. Even so, why does it mention buff duration?

Curious to know what the actual effects and intentions are with regards to that line on the gem.
Because a skill can only have one base duration - there's one specific stat used for that. The reduction is so that the poison lasts less time than the cloud - otherwise they'd last the exact same time because they're coming from the same base duration.
"
Strill wrote:
"
mirelitbab wrote:
If you use the Pierce support gem and/or the chance to pierce passives then when you aim at a monster with Poison Arrow, you might pierce the mob, leaving a cloud around the pierced target and the arrow will keep flying, potentially piercing more enemies (=more clouds) and leaving a last cloud on the final impact (max. range, didn't pierce or a wall). I realy like this feature, even if it wasn't intended to work like this.

It can also clear mobs behind corners with the corner bug.

It would be interesting if the Added Cold Damage gem worked with the cloud too. :D

Lvl 42 bow ranger with +bow dmg passives mainly. Works like a charm on normal monsters around the end of Act 2, Cruel. I might try the skill duration passives too, sounds realy good.
That's very strange, because other projectile skills with special on-hit effects DON'T work that way. Ice Spear doesn't get its additional crit chance if you add pierce chance to it, and Fireball doesn't deal any AoE damage if you give it pierce.
Fireball was specifically decided that the AoE is only when the fireball actually explodes.

Ice spear has nothing to do with pierce - it gets it's extra crit in it's second form and not in it's first, and the form is determined entirely by how far it's traveled and has nothing to do with whether it's pierced anything.
If you apply pierce support to ice spear then the second form can pierce and will have the increased crit chance for everything it hits.
"
Shadowstorm wrote:
Are you referring to the small cluster of +15% increased skill duration nodes very close to the ranger's starting location on the passive tree? Do those not affect poison arrow at all? Do they increase the time enemies remain poisoned after they leave the cloud? Do they increase the time that the cloud remains? None of the above?
Skill duration increase increases both the cloud duration and the duration of the debuff it places on monsters. Buff durations applies only to the debuff, not the cloud.
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
"
LadyDevimon wrote:
Its the same problem with the minion instability non scaling. If the minion "explodes", it just uses this skill at 35% of its life. The minion spawns a invisible "cloud" and this cloud does instant dmg to all enemys in range.
This is not true. There is no relation between poison arrow and minion instability, they are completely different things. Minion instability absolutely does not work by using a skill or making a "cloud" which causes damage. The reason Minion instability doesn't deal a hit of actual damgae is because we can't make the minion use a skill at that point - only skills can actually deal damage in the game engine at the current point in time.

The question you asked later:
"
LadyDevimon wrote:
"does rarity/quantity work on killing blows by the DoT".
in fact explains exactly why it doesn't - the support gems apply only to killing blows - i.e. when you hit something and the damage of that hit kills it. The DOT never deals "killing blows", because it never deals blows of any kind in the first place, it's just degen reducing life over time.

The base stats for increased quantity/rarity of items found apply to all monsters you kill, and will apply to monsters which die from your poison arrow degen. However, the support gems apply only to items dropped by enemies killed by the supported skill hitting them for damage, so will not apply to monsters killed by the degen. I will look into updating those stat descriptions to make this more clear.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Apr 10, 2012, 8:06:58 PM
"
MurlockingQc wrote:
@Mark_GGG

I have a question, i saw that the Support Gem "Added Chaos Damage" had a +%Chaos Damage when the quality is increased.

Does it apply to Poison Arrow DoT if linked ?

Thanks!
No. adding damage to hits is not the same as increasing the rate of degen.
"
DutchRudder wrote:
I'm also finding the fact it targets the ground pretty frustrating, its got me killed a few times because some monsters can be hard to click on or move too fast

On the other hand I can also see it being too OP but lighting arrow or fire arrow are like that so not sure why this would be different in hitting off screen monsters
It's different because it's important to be able to place the poison clouds wherever you want, so you can make things walk through them. This requires the ability to shoot the arrow at a specific position on the ground and have it hit there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info