Blood Rage

"
Autocthon wrote:
It won't significantly change the low life use case for builds that benefit the most form the skill (phys weapon attackers), and the effects on other low-life builds using it will be questionable at best.

Why?

Because low life builds don't have to have a significant amount of "base" life to function because Shav's exists.

I realise my post is a wall of text, but I already covered this.

"
....Due to the mechanics of the skill, and having very high Energy Shield pool offset by a comparatively minuscule Life pool the degeneration these builds are subjected to is almost negligible. ......

I am of the opinion that any build attempting to use this skill with -60% Chaos Resistance should be punished severely for doing so. For Low-Life builds this is impossible unless, for example, they are subjected to some level of degeneration based on their Maximum Energy Shield values.

Given the current state of this skill there are VERY FEW viable low-life builds that cannot use it, and therefore benefit from it.
This Must Change.

(The only potential low life builds I can think of would be Totem's and Trappers, they would need Zealot's Oath)

Spoiler
I can just about guarantee any life-based build using blood rage will have some chaos resistance. CI have 100% chaos resistance. Low-life builds are literally the only builds using this skill where any resistance to chaos damage is an afterthought.

Edited for clarity.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Aug 16, 2014, 10:24:56 AM
"
"
Autocthon wrote:
It won't significantly change the low life use case for builds that benefit the most form the skill (phys weapon attackers), and the effects on other low-life builds using it will be questionable at best.

Why?

Because low life builds don't have to have a significant amount of "base" life to function because Shav's exists.

I realise my post is a wall of text, but I already covered this.

"
....Due to the mechanics of the skill, and having very high Energy Shield pool offset by a comparatively minuscule Life pool the degeneration these builds are subjected to is almost negligible. ......

I am of the opinion that any build attempting to use this skill with -60% Chaos Resistance should be punished severely for doing so. For Low-Life builds this is impossible unless, for example, they are subjected to some level of degeneration based on their Maximum Energy Shield values.

Given the current state of this skill there are VERY FEW viable low-life builds that cannot use it, and therefore benefit from it.
This Must Change.

(The only potential low life builds I can think of would be Totem's and Trappers, they would need Zealot's Oath)

Spoiler
I can just about guarantee any life-based build using blood rage will have some chaos resistance. CI have 100% chaos resistance. Low-life builds are literally the only builds using this skill where any resistance to chaos damage is an afterthought.

Edited for clarity.
Even if it degenerates some value of ES low lifers aren't going to have any issue regenerating it. You'd have to increase the degen to a crippling value in all builds before it became an issue for low life to combat simply because of the fact that the spell itself all but guarantees 20% life regen per second from leech.

So you could crank the degen up to like 10% base. Which will cripple pretty much any build trying to run it without benefiting form the leech because chaos resist is a bitch. But that's not going to fix the worst abuse cases (hello ST spam with good base phys and massive elemental scaling).

If the issue with the skill is the ridiculous benefit it gives to low life above and beyond its other considerable benefits fix that. Nix the AS boost on low life.

ie: low life already takes ZO or GR, which means they already have the sustain to overheal the chaos damage regardless of their resistances (getting the 7% regen to overcome -60% resistances isn't exceptionally hard and will be even easier post patch). If the issue is the AS buff fix the actual issue, because changing the degen rate isn't going to actually curtail the effect of the buff or have the low life builds thinking about whether or not to use it.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Last edited by Autocthon on Aug 16, 2014, 3:59:34 PM
"
Autocthon wrote:
If the issue with the skill is the ridiculous benefit it gives to low life above and beyond its other considerable benefits fix that. Fix the AS boost on low life.

ie: low life already takes ZO or GR, which means they already have the sustain to overheal the chaos damage regardless of their resistances (getting the 7% regen to overcome -60% resistances isn't exceptionally hard and will be even easier post patch). If the issue is the AS buff fix the actual issue, because changing the degen rate isn't going to actually curtail the effect of the buff or have the low life builds thinking about whether or not to use it.

You make a good point. However, I consider the problem to be more focused around the equilibrium of any benefit vs ease of use/investment. (This should be the case for everything in the game, not just Blood Rage)

"
Autocthon wrote:
....because changing the degen rate isn't going to actually curtail the effect of the buff or have the low life builds thinking about whether or not to use it.

Sorry, but this is where you are wrong. The degeneration is already the only feature of the skill that restricts (or attempts to restrict) accessibility. There really isn't anything more I can say in this regard. The negative aspect of this skill needs tuning so that all builds are appropriately invested for the benefits they receive.

It's not for me to say whether, for example, the attack speed buff, or the leech, or the degen, or the frenzy charges are overpowered/underpowered for any/all builds. The problem purely is that the decision to use this skill, or not use this skill, should be a meaningful choice. In it's current state this is 100% untrue.

Chaos Inoculation: CI is the easiest example. The skill is about as free as it gets for them, however, they generally only get out what they put in.
Life-Based: HP builds currently require the highest level of investment of any build in the form of passive skill points, auras, and items.
Low-Life: Currently require no investment outside of anything they would already have if Blood Rage did not exist. QED, skill is almost free to use and they receive vastly disproportionate benefits in the bargain.
Chaos Damage does not bypass Energy Shield
These items enable "Low-life" in the first place (order of operations, auras > bloodrage). The fact remains that a 5L Solaris Lorica is cheap, no getting around that.

=========================================================================
Refined Suggestion:
=========================================================================

% Energy Shield degeneration per second scales 1:1 with Physical Damage leeched as life.

WHAT?!?!? ES Chars will Degen 10% of ES per second?!? AM I CRAZY?
No, you are if you expect to be able to use this skill with -60% Chaos Res.

Obviously I am biased towards my own ideas, but in my mind scaling the degen with the life leech is the perfect solution because it will scale with an augmented (Enhance) Blood Rage as well.
More benefit + more risk = More investment required = Meaningful choices = Perfect.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Aug 17, 2014, 1:02:25 AM
They're definitely not going to make Quality increase Damage taken, so it'd be 6% Degen. Woo.

Additionally, leveling would be actively detrimental. Taking more Damage per Second just makes your Leech relatively less powerful. Currently you effectively regen 20-4 = 16%, if BR degens 10%, you're down to 10% effective Regen. That blows.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
They're definitely not going to make Quality increase Damage taken, so it'd be 6% Degen. Woo.

Additionally, leveling would be actively detrimental. Taking more Damage per Second just makes your Leech relatively less powerful. Currently you effectively regen 20-4 = 16%, if BR degens 10%, you're down to 10% effective Regen. That blows.

Not with sufficient resistance to Chaos damage you're not.

Effective Regen
Not sure about your expected regen, I would expect it is still 20% without any instant leech because you always leech at this rate regardless.

You make an excellent point about levelling the skill, a rather fatal flaw in my suggestion.

The point is the decision to use this skill, or not use this skill, should be a meaningful one. Currently this skill means nothing but "WIN MORE" for the vast majority of low life builds.

I don't believe everyone is fully aware of just how insanely strong Blood Rage can be.
Blood Rage vs Righteous Fire
Image courtesy of Krupen, original can be found here.

Without doing an in-depth mathematical analysis of both gems are their various interactions. The Blood Rage above provides 99% increased attack speed. No matter what attacks are being used the damage output is doubled*. This equates to 99% "more" damage. (Haven't even mentioned the immense buff to survivability the leech provides....oops, just did)

We should all be pretty familiar with Righteous Fire by now, I don't wish to discuss it too much in a Blood Rage topic, but basically it can provide similar improvements to spell damage output yet requires heavy investment in order to be a viable addition to a build.
Righteous Fire is a skill that lives and breathes Risk/Reward, Cost/Benefit.

Why does such a disparity exist?
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Aug 17, 2014, 10:15:34 AM
Oh, don't worry. I am aware of how ridiculous Blood Rage is. That's why I only responded to the completely broken suggestion, as opposed to the pretty reasonable suggestion (Chaos Degen based on Life+ES) :P
I find it amusing that the description on the wiki talks about Marauders, when the characters who actually use this skill have strayed about as far from the Karui Way as it is possible to go.

How about this:
- Blood Rage causes unresistable degeneration based on life+ES, but at a modest rate (say about 2%). The degeneration does not bypass Energy Shield
- Blood Rage disables life regen while active (like Vaal Pact); obviously you can't benefit from ES recharge either, as you are constantly taking damage
- Change the duration mechanics: while you are leeching, it stays active indefinitely, but then it wears off 5 seconds (base) after you stop leeching. This would make it less annoying to run out of monsters with BR up, without making it difficult to sustain in party play (when you're partying with a dedicated magic find culler).

This would be strong with Vaal Pact of course, but I think that fits the 'Blood Rage' theme better than making it a CI-friendly buff.
I feel this skill's attack speed shouldn't be limited to low life. Making it give half the speed bonus normally and full on low life would be a nice buff and would make builds normally don't use it consider it.
IGN: Smegacore
I don't understand the mindset of people asking for a nerf.
I have used like 10 char on low life, 1 templar coc 3 summoner and the rest are shadow flicker striker.

The commoners like me dont use bis gear like shav or atziri gautlet.
The need for blood rage is primary for the leeche it give freeing one socket slot on That 4L rarely 5L weaponnery.
Using the blood dance is a simple but not viable way to ovdrcome blood rage side effect:
On low life es based build BR prevent you es from recharging and so nullifying all these faster recharge node.
On theses build chaos res are maxed : 75 (85) at least and without flask. Thus preventing you to be oneshoted by the firstchaos mobs or field.

Usually I aim for 1500 to 2500 hp : 15 to 25 life regen to have on gears + vitality if no blooddance.

For life based low life build there is absolutely no downside due to the hudge regen and the absence of es.

For the previous, attack speed is what make them end game compatible bht still need a hudge investement:
Life node
Life regen
Life and es on gears...

And the 100% Moar damage...excuse me but due to damage reduction, unless you go elemental you wont clear 100 faster or deal 100 Moar damage ;)
You ARE my Bitch of burden!
"Stay Alive exile! Or you'll be the next zombie someone raises off the beach." - Altnaharra
" Be Excellent To Each Other" -MikeP_GGG
"If you die to yourself are you still the victor? " - BEX_GGG
I would really like to see the "on-kill" mechanic to be changed similar to Power Siphon, which is not having to actually get the last hit, just have to hit the enemy shortly before he dies. Right now it's impossible to play builds that rely on getting frenzy charges from Blood Rage in big parties (Flicker Strike for example).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info