Blood Rage

Why not just change the damage to a flat -% of max health degen that isn't affected by chaos resistance? That way low-life ES builds would still need to regen their life somehow because the degen would not be dumped into one's energy shield. Increased gem quality could reduce the overall damage.
It can't be a flat percent though :P 'Flat' already stands for 'not a percentage'.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 27, 2014, 10:14:50 AM
Well, if we're going to be pedantic, I'm going to go visit dictionary.com :

"
12. without modification or variation:
a flat rate.

:P

What I was trying to say is that the degen is currently affected by your chaos resistance and therefore it's always in flux. If the degen could not be affected by gear then it would become "flat" in this regard. And the degen could then be balanced a little more reasonably.

(Full disclosure: I'm not actually bothered by the fact that low-life builds can take advantage of the gem. What bothers me is that the chaos damage at lvl 1 is 4% and at lvl 20 is 3.6%. WTF, GGG? why even bother in the first place? However, I recognise that if the gem's degen is modified in any way, then obviously the impact it would have ES based builds needs to be considered too.)

Edit : Actually it's probably an unworkable idea. I forgot about Zealot's Oath. Although, if the "damage" from blood rage was considered a negative regeneration, perhaps taking ZO would cause the degen to apply to ES instead of life instead. That has some potential, I think.
Last edited by Xarog on Oct 27, 2014, 10:31:52 AM
That quote proves me correct though, because a percent-based rate inherently has variation: it inflicts a stronger drain on higher Life values. :) Hence, a percent-based rate is not flat.

The problematic thing about Blood Rage is permanent >70% IAS plus infinite Frenzy Charges (and a load of free Leech I guess) - the drain is easy to mitigate on just about any build. I rather like it being modifiable, personally. Gives CI something unique.
Just because the actual amount of life lost per second would scale relative to the total life pool does not mean that the percentage lost would also vary. This is distinct from having a percentage based life loss which can be varied (i.e. reduced) by adding a resistance modifier like chaos resistance. There are many usages in the English langauge where "flat" refers to a static percentage of an undetermined initial value. Notable examples would be a "flat tax" or a flat interest rate on a loan.

--

With regard CI builds, I do not see the problem. Their total health is 1, and I expect any percentage based degen would have to get very high before the game's engine would drop the 1 to a 0. And the attack speed buff is only an issue for low-life builds. CI never gets the attack speed boosts and high hp builds can't risk staying at "low life" for prolonged periods so the boost basically acts as a damage/leech steroid during difficult situations.

The point of my proposal wasn't to make it so that the health loss can't be mitigated; if one couldn't mitigate it then it would be worthless as a skill. The point is that the mitigation should not come for free as is currently the case if you have something like solaris lorica.

Imagine if Blood Rage did the opposite of a vitality gem and gave you a 2% health degen. Life builds would notice little to no difference, CI builds would notice no difference at all, and low-life builds using shavs or solaris would now have to make sure they have at least 2% health regen because should they use Zealot's Oath, that degen is going to eat into their energy shield as long as it's active.
Regeneration and degeneration are actually values on a per-minute basis. What is displayed as 50 Life/sec is 3000 Life/min to the game engine. Similarly, percent rates are used only to calculate the actual flat rate: you don't Regen x%/min, but x/min relative to Max Life.

Fun fact: Regen is a stored stat value, and thus rounds down as per usual. Degen on the other hand is only used 'on the fly', and does not round. You can degen 0.001 Life per minute, but cannot Regen less than 1 per minute (except zero, of course).

Any amount of Life degeneration that goes unmitigated will kill CI users once it ticks over to 1 total Life lost to degen. Flat Regen from gear can easily prevent all relative Degen, because CI only leaves you with 1 Life. Relying on relative Regen is a bit more awkward; due to it being a rounded (flat :P) value you need at least 1.67% to get anything out of it.

There'd be a lot of corpses :) But that's pretty much beside the point!

--------
The Attack Speed is only an issue for Low Life builds, yes. That is exactly what I'm getting at :P Making it mildly harder to out-Regen BR does little to make it less absurdly powerful (for Low Life builds). The Degen would be somewhat higher against Shavs, but there's a lot of percent Regen on the tree all the same, and ZO is already in the same area (because it'd be stupid anywhere else)... And they'd still be getting more IAS than god.
So why does linking this to quality blood magic globally increase attack speed but not cast speed, only the cast speed of the skill itself?
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
Last edited by OwVEmrkMLX on Nov 13, 2014, 3:04:10 AM
BM's Quality bonus is intended to be local (FCR is working as intended), however, Blood Rage already has a global IAS on Low Life modifier (kinda wonky).
So, with the upcoming frenzy buff in 2.0, can we expect to see a blood rage rework or nerf? Otherwise it will become staple in every build.
After watching the Q&A I came to realize that you Rory don't know that flicker strike will be useless for CI characters and CI characters will have another nerf if you plan to nerf this gem for ES builds.
My reasons for saying this:
1. ES builds need to have gear with lots of amount of ES on them to actually making them work, so Blood Dance Boots is not an option for them.
2. Its supposed to be free for them when they go CI since CI dosent have the life or Regen of other character builds, wich in its self is a nerf. (and no not every CI can afford to go ZO and try to get shit loads of regen to survive thats why they need BR for leech with Ghost Reaver)
3.They dont even get the full benefit of the skill gem when they go CI and low Life builds get them but still get the Degenso its balanced.

so if you read this Rory take note that the skill gem IS Balanced so stop trying to nerf it because that will just make a lot of builds just non existing and shadow builds barely have a choise there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info