[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker)

"
Soosi wrote:
What about things like increased dmg with swords? In the build you linked you did not pick a 24% increase (deadly dilettante). Was this an error or does it not have an effect on the aoe portion of the skill? I thought that the initial hit would be increased and thus the following effect would benefit through it.

Here's what I got from Ranger for a below lvl 90 char
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIBAF4FLQW1BiAILg-rFSAWvxmOGbQj9iSLJP0mlSoLLYMwcTB8Nj06Qkd-S1dLeE2SUUdVS1boVvpYdV-wYeJirGVNbIxtbG-ecFJw1XSgdO13B3fXeu99dYMJhMWE2YTvhxOHaonTjAuMNo19jb-QbJuNm7WcpJ2qn4KjiqknqZSv67VIuXy9Nr6nwOPBScM6yNzKStN-1CPawd0N3ajgledU53To1uyw7YPuDu968bPz6vaj_h3-uv_e

Wouldnt things like increased Melee / weapon dmg (gems or passives) increase the elemental dmg as well even if it is not considered melee dmg? It's calculated from the initial hit is it not and would increase that way. I'm sure I'm just not getting it but I need it to be hammered into my head.

hey its not an error im just missing the points for it thats why i said i will skill it ;)

"malee" only effects the intial hit... therefore it wont benefit anything ... i just using a jewel with it because 2 other stats on the jewel are nice to have
"
Damage with swords is considered attack damage. I do pick up DD, it's in the main tree in OP. I assume melee damage is separate from attack damage, so it wouldn't count everything in initial hit, just attack damage. Think of melee damage (which includes crit and crit multi) and attack damage as two separate things, if the ele effects don't have melee tag, then it cancels out any benefits from melee damage and only scales off the attack damage portion.

This is how I see it working but I do hate the logic. I think if the elemental portion, even a non-melee effect, scales off a portion of the initial hit, which is melee, then even a increase in melee physical damage should benefit the original physical base before any conversion takes place and through it would also strengthen the ranged portion. I feel this would be in line with how most things work in the PoE universe.

Nonetheless for me this is the beauty of PoE. Yes, the tooltips could always be clearer, but still gotta give credit where credit is due, other games are terrible at this!

The resistances would be nice. Aside from the better nodes I always hate to pick them from the tree since they are available through better gear, but I never have lots of wealth. Usually when I get to the end of a characters progression I get bored start testing their limits and eventually rip.
Last edited by Soosi on Sep 2, 2015, 2:42:57 AM
"
Soosi wrote:
"
Damage with swords is considered attack damage. I do pick up DD, it's in the main tree in OP. I assume melee damage is separate from attack damage, so it wouldn't count everything in initial hit, just attack damage. Think of melee damage (which includes crit and crit multi) and attack damage as two separate things, if the ele effects don't have melee tag, then it cancels out any benefits from melee damage and only scales off the attack damage portion.

This is how I see it working but I do hate the logic. I think if the elemental portion, even a non-melee effect, scales off a portion of the initial hit, which is melee, then even a increase in melee physical damage should benefit the original physical base before any conversion takes place and through it would also strengthen the ranged portion. I feel this would be in line with how most things work in the PoE universe.

Nonetheless for me this is the beauty of PoE. Yes, the tooltips could always be clearer, but still gotta give credit where credit is due, other games are terrible at this!

The resistances would be nice. Aside from the better nodes I always hate to pick them from the tree since they are available through better gear, but I never have lots of wealth. Usually when I get to the end of a characters progression I get bored start testing their limits and eventually rip.

Yah, its confusing but it has its charms I guess, makes solving issues and coming up with unique solutions a fun, sometimes infuriating, but still fun part of the game. And yes, always test and fiddle with stuff, it's what keeps me going and I've stumbled upon combinations which are quite fun to use,and even just more powerful than a straight normal route you would take a build. This entire build was just based off the fact that I bought a really great 470+ pdps katana semi-early in league for cheap, and that my actual planned build failed and just kind of morphed in this. I would like to make it more defensive, clear faster, while still being reasonably priced.

Sadly I don't have wealth to spread and test this stuff in a reasonable time frame like I'd like too either :/ It's been like 3 weeks since I've started and slowly been saving up for a 6-link for another build T-T
-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
Hey guys small update... level 81 so far and having a lot of fun with this build... did some uniques maps with it and a lot of map mods even vaaled 8mod maps... only downside of this build:
if a mapmod got xx% cold resistance
but that only slows the clearing speed down

depending on the map layout i would say i need around 10 mins to clear a map w/o backtracking, selling vendor stuff (chaos recipe/chrom stuff) included. saving for upgrades now.
cant tell how 74+ maps are working only found 1 so far :(
Hello
I like your build so much, and forlow it step by step, but in merciless, my char die so much, here is my character https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/chevrolet86/characters
Can you see it?
Srr for my english, but hope you can understand what i say! Thanks you so much!
Last edited by chevrolet86 on Sep 8, 2015, 9:52:24 AM
"
chevrolet86 wrote:
Hello
I like your build so much, and forlow it step by step, but in merciless, my char die so much, here is my character https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/chevrolet86/characters
Can you see it?
Srr for my english, but hope you can understand what i say! Thanks you so much!

Thanks! As for surviving, you are wearing abyssus, so by default it's squishier than it is. I actually didn't use abyssus until maybe high 78's where my damage was high enough to kill everything before I got killed, I still reached 56k with charges up. Even with mediocre 2h you should still reach 45k without abyssus (since you can use hatred + herald of ice which also grants power charges more often). My life was also higher. Blood Drinker with vaal pact should help with surviving a bit better though, instant life flask are your friend and remember to leap slam to keep fortify up always. I'd invest into an atziri's promise, and a granite/jade flask with extra recovery/charges to make tanking a bit better. You shouldn't be dying too much though in non-maps.

That's about as much as I can say towards that, you have everything the build uses. Honestly the build was a young build for me, and while it seemed great at the time having gone back to it it just seems alright. It should get you into at least 74 maps though so just keep chugging.
-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
I has remove abyssus, dps is 13k8 with hatred & HoI, and nothing change!
I realy realy love this skill, this sword, but it seem no way out for me! :(
Is this Atziri viable?
Any update for 2.6 passive tree?
Is this 2.6 viable?
Check my YouTube Channel if you want :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/LeoOliveAmar

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info