[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker)

"
Daishi_GD wrote:
Hey - Just wanted to say I'm also following your build!
Still pretty new to PoE and saw your Katana build and started a new character right away! I'm able to farm Voll Merci atm and trying to work on my gear. I was dying a lot till I read your Note about being squishy ^^
Up to 21k with my Wild Strike and slowly working on my Passives... I didn't follow your leveling guide so I'm a little behind in damage.

Any tips of what I should try to upgrade next would be appreciated! Or add me if you'd like to roll together :)

My current gear on a "Farmers" budget:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAAO4DlgYgDY0PqxR1FSAWvxjbGbQj0ySLJpUppSoLKjgqTSzpLYMwfDGwNZI2PTsoPydHfkp9SshLV04qUUxVS1WFVuhW-lh1W69fsGBDYeJirGVNbIxtbG49bqpvJ2-ecFJ0oHTxdwd3131bfyuDCYTFhNmGs4cTh2qHdohbjDaaapu1nKSdqp-CpcuplKxHsAu1SLXyvTa-gL6nwOPDOspKy_XUUti93L3dDeCV45_xs_Pq

Hey, thanks for giving the build a chance :) 1st upgrade would be to drop the helm, it does zero for the build so your literally wasting a helm slot. Get an armour helm with life, maybe 300+ accuracy, and res. Devoto's is an option but imo it sucks, it only gives me a meager 1k dps, maybe it'll give you more since you have flat ele, you'll have to test. For damage I'd say your actually doing okay, I'm at 30k in hideout without a helm.

2nd upgrade is the ammy, just get crit chance and multi on it, along with life and either accuracy or all resist. Weapon ele damage is nice too. Any combination, I'd say crit chance+multi is a must though. Agate base is best for attributes. Might be a bit pricey. Your sapphire ring could kick the can, get a diamond ring with life+accuracy to replace it, should cap resist since you can get resist helm. Your sword, despite lacking phys, is alright considering the high ele rolls and multi, it can stay like that for a while. Belt, toss it, get a rustic. You should only really need 90 int total for build, you don't need to max curse on hit or level it at all really.

The builds squishy only if you haven't gotten IR or use abyssus, it should be decently defensive against phys, with only spell/chaos users causing any real threat, which is the same for any 2h build that isn't phase acro. You can try without Vaal pact until you can use LL gem, since you will have 5+% life regen thanks to Blood dance. Otherwise quick flask fingers always keeps you alive :) I've actually hopped back on the build for fun, messed with some setups, found out that physical to lightning is better than added fire with WED. My lv12 PtL added more tooltip than my lv19 Added fire, since both are pure attack damage it means PtL does more in initial hit AND secondary effects + much larger chance to shock. So the official setup is now:

Wild Strike - Multistrike - Faster Attacks - Phys to Light - WED - LL

Makes ele reflect kind of scary, but makes phys reflect maps easier to run. I'm running abyssus atm, so I swapped out WED for LL atm on my 5-link, makes surviving way better and still do 35k in hideout (no buffs/charges).

Small general update: It occurred to me what I don't like about wild strike, aoe/clear speed. The damage is very impressive, melting mobs, sometimes, but the way the skill kills always urks me. Sometimes it'll do awesome lightning effect and kill most screen even around the corner, but then it'll just go "puff puff", and kill around 6 mobs standing near me. Aside my "theoretically" better DW version, all signs lead me to doing something fun with science :p But that will have to wait for leagues to end so I can respec my char.
-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
Last edited by TokyoToho on Aug 27, 2015, 10:26:27 AM
Hey thanks for the gear tips. I was saving up for a Abyssus but I ended up dumping all my Chaos into rerolling my armor.

I'm also not a fan of the Puff Puff... First using Wild Strike I was like "Who the hell is making that sound?"

In regards to my sword. I thought with its mods it was a great "bang for your buck". But even at 560 dps. How important is pDPS? Would I notice a big difference in game-play if I had a 400+ pDPS sword?
"
Daishi_GD wrote:
Hey thanks for the gear tips. I was saving up for a Abyssus but I ended up dumping all my Chaos into rerolling my armor.

I'm also not a fan of the Puff Puff... First using Wild Strike I was like "Who the hell is making that sound?"

In regards to my sword. I thought with its mods it was a great "bang for your buck". But even at 560 dps. How important is pDPS? Would I notice a big difference in game-play if I had a 400+ pDPS sword?

Well yah I've found a solution to the lack of consistent aoe, but its a totally different build basically so I won't talk about it here.

As for the sword, pdps is important, because most of your passives are phys passives. A 420+ pdps sword would beat out your hybrid sword I think. With stuff like added fire/phys to light, hatred/hoa, these % based things raise and are based off only your physical, the more you have, the better those things are too. Unfortunately there's never any goddamn swords for sell on poetrade with people online :/ http://poe.trade/search/ninaomaramarey

Perhaps the biggest gripe with the build is this, if only disemboweling worked well with wild strike secondary effect I would have chosen talon axe in a heartbeat as main weapon.
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
heyho currently level 74
acrobatic version with 50+% critchance
Skilltree

gear
Spoiler

around 20k dps
48%dodge and 40%evade
"
XRacKS wrote:
heyho currently level 74
Skilltree

gear
Spoiler

around 20k dps
48%dodge and 40%evade

Niceee, how's survivabilty with acro? Gear's look swell, I would try to upgrade the ammy to a better one, with crit multi and some int to free up that int node for the jewel socket near it, maybe drop slither pinches for accuracy+12% ias gloves too.

Edit: Just re-confirmed that disemboweling indeed does not effect the secondary attacks of wild strike so your basically wasting all those nodes going to disembowel for just better single target damage basically. It only effects your initial hit, not the elemental attacks, despite tooltip being what it is. S your clear speed would be worse then someone with similar dps, since tooltip is just showing your actual melee hit. Might want to alter tree, perhaps something like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAA5YFtQYgBqIPqxa_F9wi6iP2JIsk_SaVKgswcTB8NZI2PTpCOyhKyEtXS3hNklFHVUtW-lh1X7BgQ2HiYqxsjG1sbj1uqm-ecFJw1XSgdwd313vDfyuC5IMJhMWHE4nTiq-MC4w2jX2Nv5ARm7WcpJ2qtUi18rl8voC-vMDjwUnDOsjcykrUI9i93ajnVOjW7LDxs_Pq_h3_3hUgLYMZtL6nZU29Nkd-hNnrFN0NW68UdQ2Nh3bjn0p9

With next 10 levels getting mostly damage a bit more life. You have sword circle cluster near ranger area, but you can get Deadly Dilettante and Destroyer for same nodes as half sword circle which is much better.
Last edited by TokyoToho on Aug 28, 2015, 12:42:46 PM
"
TokyoToho wrote:
"
XRacKS wrote:
heyho currently level 74
Skilltree

gear
Spoiler

around 20k dps
48%dodge and 40%evade

Niceee, how's survivabilty with acro? Gear's look swell, I would try to upgrade the ammy to a better one, with crit multi and some int to free up that int node for the jewel socket near it, maybe drop slither pinches for accuracy+12% ias gloves too.

Edit: Just re-confirmed that disemboweling indeed does not effect the secondary attacks of wild strike so your basically wasting all those nodes going to disembowel for just better single target damage basically. It only effects your initial hit, not the elemental attacks, despite tooltip being what it is. S your clear speed would be worse then someone with similar dps, since tooltip is just showing your actual melee hit. Might want to alter tree, perhaps something like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAA5YFtQYgBqIPqxa_F9wi6iP2JIsk_SaVKgswcTB8NZI2PTpCOyhKyEtXS3hNklFHVUtW-lh1X7BgQ2HiYqxsjG1sbj1uqm-ecFJw1XSgdwd313vDfyuC5IMJhMWHE4nTiq-MC4w2jX2Nv5ARm7WcpJ2qtUi18rl8voC-vMDjwUnDOsjcykrUI9i93ajnVOjW7LDxs_Pq_h3_3hUgLYMZtL6nZU29Nkd-hNnrFN0NW68UdQ2Nh3bjn0p9

With next 10 levels getting mostly damage a bit more life. You have sword circle cluster near ranger area, but you can get Deadly Dilettante and Destroyer for same nodes as half sword circle which is much better.

damn i thought the disemboweling counts towards it... damnit... yeah ill spec out of it and go your route... yeah i tried to use as much as possible selffound gear... gloves and amulet are the next big thing... my resistances are almost capped and otherwise my survivability is fine... im using 2 instant flasks... :)

EDIT:
or i go towards the "By the Blade" and "Butchery" Nodes in the Marauder Area...

still dont get what effects what xD
Last edited by XRacKS on Aug 28, 2015, 1:26:50 PM
Small update. I got

Just under 29k standing in town now. 57k running around with buffs. So I'm getting there.
level 79 now: Skiltree
going for "Path of the Worrior" "Deadly Delitante" and "Weathered Hunter" (Duelist area) or "Acuity" (Ranger Area)

with weathered Hunter I could mb open up the helmet slot for rats nest and change my gloves... ;) otherwise i would need to invest big time into tri res ias gloves... amulet is next on the upgrade list... or vis versa... going more ele resistance on the tree would make the upgrading affordable...
What about things like increased dmg with swords? In the build you linked you did not pick a 24% increase (deadly dilettante). Was this an error or does it not have an effect on the aoe portion of the skill? I thought that the initial hit would be increased and thus the following effect would benefit through it.

Here's what I got from Ranger for a below lvl 90 char
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIBAF4FLQW1BiAILg-rFSAWvxmOGbQj9iSLJP0mlSoLLYMwcTB8Nj06Qkd-S1dLeE2SUUdVS1boVvpYdV-wYeJirGVNbIxtbG-ecFJw1XSgdO13B3fXeu99dYMJhMWE2YTvhxOHaonTjAuMNo19jb-QbJuNm7WcpJ2qn4KjiqknqZSv67VIuXy9Nr6nwOPBScM6yNzKStN-1CPawd0N3ajgledU53To1uyw7YPuDu968bPz6vaj_h3-uv_e

Wouldnt things like increased Melee / weapon dmg (gems or passives) increase the elemental dmg as well even if it is not considered melee dmg? It's calculated from the initial hit is it not and would increase that way. I'm sure I'm just not getting it but I need it to be hammered into my head.
"
XRacKS wrote:
level 79 now: Skiltree
going for "Path of the Worrior" "Deadly Delitante" and "Weathered Hunter" (Duelist area) or "Acuity" (Ranger Area)

with weathered Hunter I could mb open up the helmet slot for rats nest and change my gloves... ;) otherwise i would need to invest big time into tri res ias gloves... amulet is next on the upgrade list... or vis versa... going more ele resistance on the tree would make the upgrading affordable...

Yah capping resist with unique helm was the hard part for me as well, you could always lose a bit of damage and get resist on jewels if need be, losing a jewel mod or 2 is probably better than spending/wasting 3 pts into weathered hunt, especially since accuracy isn't too big a problem, unless your below 85%.

"
Soosi wrote:
What about things like increased dmg with swords? In the build you linked you did not pick a 24% increase (deadly dilettante). Was this an error or does it not have an effect on the aoe portion of the skill? I thought that the initial hit would be increased and thus the following effect would benefit through it.

Here's what I got from Ranger for a below lvl 90 char
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIBAF4FLQW1BiAILg-rFSAWvxmOGbQj9iSLJP0mlSoLLYMwcTB8Nj06Qkd-S1dLeE2SUUdVS1boVvpYdV-wYeJirGVNbIxtbG-ecFJw1XSgdO13B3fXeu99dYMJhMWE2YTvhxOHaonTjAuMNo19jb-QbJuNm7WcpJ2qn4KjiqknqZSv67VIuXy9Nr6nwOPBScM6yNzKStN-1CPawd0N3ajgledU53To1uyw7YPuDu968bPz6vaj_h3-uv_e

Wouldnt things like increased Melee / weapon dmg (gems or passives) increase the elemental dmg as well even if it is not considered melee dmg? It's calculated from the initial hit is it not and would increase that way. I'm sure I'm just not getting it but I need it to be hammered into my head.

Damage with swords is considered attack damage. I do pick up DD, it's in the main tree in OP. I assume melee damage is separate from attack damage, so it wouldn't count everything in initial hit, just attack damage. Think of melee damage (which includes crit and crit multi) and attack damage as two separate things, if the ele effects don't have melee tag, then it cancels out any benefits from melee damage and only scales off the attack damage portion.

The only "melee" affix's that "benefit" ele effects are specifically referring to the type of weapon it is. Two handed melee is referring to a melee weapon that uses two hands. Multistrike specifically says "more melee ATTACK speed", but ele effects don't benefit from multistrike's quality, only the initial hit does because the ele effects are not melee. Since Disemboweling does not mention a weapon or attack, it means it's solely melee and thus won't effect the ele effects. I hate how confusing it all is but that's the best way I could explain it. Things like Deadly D. do not mention melee, so are automatically factored in attack damage half. Destroyer has melee in its wording but is referring to melee weapons as a whole, specially two-handers, so its not increasing melee damage, its increasing attack damage. WED effects wild strike because it does not mention melee, just weapon damage, which is attack damage. Melee physical damage gem however do not effect it since its specifically towards melee damage. etc etc
Last edited by TokyoToho on Sep 1, 2015, 2:23:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info