Caster defenses still terrible

"
Jennik wrote:
People are complaining that traditional caster defenses, MOM and ES, are terrible right now, which they are. GGG is aware of this.

You're narrowly insisting that this is the only thing that's a caster defense and nothing else counts.
That's incredibly tautological and nobody buys it for a second.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Jul 31, 2015, 6:10:52 AM
"
You're narrowly insisting that this is the only thing that's a caster defense and nothing else counts.
That's incredibly tautological and nobody buys it for a second.

If the entirety of your argument is that you're unhappy with ES and MOM being called caster defenses, that's fine. Simply replace those words wherever you see them with whatever words would make you happy.

I'll help you out: Energy shield and Mind Over Matter, two forms of defense that are quite clearly not intended to be caster defenses, are terrible right now.
I've made everything viable.

Hell, a guy did a block-based 2.0 MoM Incinerate build in beta. MoM is niche, not be-all-end-all.
ES has always been viable.

Let me make this simple for you:
You're arguing semantics because it's all you have. You're just mad that you can't just slap EB and COD on a build and have it work automatically.

That's pretty much all anybody ever did in 1.3. It was boring. And because it's all one-trick ponies like you knew how to do. So you all assume nothing exists outside your tiny universe.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Jul 31, 2015, 6:17:30 AM
"
Jennik wrote:
People are complaining that traditional caster defenses, MOM and ES, are terrible right now, which they are. GGG is aware of this.

Well, this is a very restricted definition of "caster defenses" but ok, let's talk about that for a second.
Why is MoM terrible exactly ? The only thing that has changed since 2.0 is that you cannot have infinite mana regen just by clicking the EB node. Sure it requires a bit more work to get mana regen to make MoM works now, but it's still very doable IF you use other ways to defend yourself. If you try to have a MoM setup perma working with 0 mitigation, yes it won't work.
I won't comment about the state of pure ES (CI), I didn't test it.

Casters aren't limited to MoM and ES, this is a game where you have up to 120+ skill points at your disposal. Realistically, you begin endgame maps with around 90 pts to play with, that's more than enough to reach other defenses, such as accro, max endu charges, +% armor or whatever.

The thing that changed in 2.0 is defense is now supposed to be layered. Gone is the time where you could just run AA+MoM and be done with it. Now you have to use some armour gear, some endu charges, AA, MoM on top of that for example. And if you have 4k armor + 3-4 end charges + some block chances, THEN (and only then) MoM works perfectly with decent mana regen. I use MoM, my mana pool very rarely goes to 0 because of all the other defense layers. Off course, it _never_ went to 0 pre 2.0 with the overpowered EB+CoD combo. But this is over.

You have to use different things in synergy now. And no a caster is not restricted to MoM or ES. Acrobatics is 18 pts away from witch start, Max end charge is 15 pts away, this stuff is usable and should be used by every int char. Like I said, I played end game with my char with different combination from acro/phase acro to armor/end charges, they work. But in all cases, I never built my defenses around one tool only, I always used at least a defensive curse + a defensive aura + a defensive notable node + ..
And it's also true for melees btw, all end game melees use a combination of end charges, armor, life, fortify, aa, curse..

Layered defenses is the 2.0 way.
Last edited by Dawmz on Jul 31, 2015, 6:17:56 AM
"
Dawmz wrote:

And it's also true for melees btw, all end game melees use a combination of end charges, armor, life, fortify, aa, curse..

Yes, a strength based character is able to combine all of the defensive mechanics in the strength section of the tree and be just fine defensively.

In addition, a dex based character is able to combine all of the defensive mechanics in the dex section of the tree and be just fine defensively.

An int based character is not.

An int based character is able to combine the defensive mechanics in the strength section of the tree and be just fine defensively, or the defensive mechanics in the dex section of the tree and be just fine defensively.

If you don't see a problem with the defensive mechanics in the int section of the tree being bad, that's awesome. I'm glad you enjoy that particular aspect of the game. Many people are not happy with the current state of the game, though, which is why many threads like this have been created.

It's wonderful that you have found something to enjoy in POE. You don't need to relentlessly attack people who dislike that thing, though. You can simply accept the fact that they have offered their feedback to GGG in the feedback section of GGG's forum and move on with your life.
Last edited by Jennik on Jul 31, 2015, 6:32:14 AM
"
Jennik wrote:
An int based character is not.

They are. They can.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Jul 31, 2015, 6:49:08 AM
You should really run AA. Its way better than before.

Small hits never really mattered like face tanking those Tentacle Miscreations with 25 AA only mitgated like 276 dam.

But when you were hit by something big like a 6000 phys hit did almost nothing like 5%

now it mitigates 14%

Git R Dun!
Another thing OP is MoM works exactly same as before if you invest in mana. You can get 3500 mana and 350 regen/sec just like before and as added bonus still keep ES. It will just cost you more now (as it should) you need T1 mana on all gear. Need to take some more mana nodes or use Pledge of Hands (which is like 10 nodes on tree) I've done it. MoM non EB is actually superior because you get fat energy shield to actually use for health or can buy ev or armor gear instead and not ES gear. Don;t have to use PoS CoD because MoM is right there in witch area and can use real armor with life and resits and mitigation.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 31, 2015, 7:27:24 AM
I have 4K HP, 1,5K free mana (~100 m/s with no clarity) for mom and 1.6K ES with very moderate investment into mana and shitty gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1315449#p11160081

And it's even not going out south areas of skilltree...
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
I managed to make MoM work with the EB/Zealots Oath/Enduring cry gimmick without much gear, admittedly it got scary when i took a huge hit and it left me manaless, but that was with sub-par gear. This also let me run whatever purity I wanted, AA, heralds etc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info