Reasons for GGG's design decisions for RNG gated content

"
Xavderion wrote:
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
As I've said before in one of our numerous discussions, GGG sealed the fate of the game's nature when they decided that literally every item should be tradeable. They had to introduce RNG the way they did in order to allow for that fact. This also isn't a problem for anyone as long as they don't categorically deny to trade. On the contrary, it's a good thing because every rare, unique, 6s, RGB linked item and so on has value, even if it's just a couple of shards or orbs. That's the whole point of allowing all-encompassing trade :)

That's ostensibly a good thing for people who trade but then this is only true because they are circumventing the very rng system you are trying so hard to defend. Ironic really. In practice it makes sure you can't 'win' (get around all the cock blocking layering of rng) if you play this as an actual arpg.

I always thought they would see the obvious error in this design and fix it to bring actual game play more in line with trade but it's been so long I doubt they will, which is extraordinarily unethical imo.

There's nothing ironic about it. The goal is to make items that drop valuable. How do you do this? You make them tradeable. That's the whole point. Now in order to make that happen you need RNG. Without RNG there is no need to trade. So no, nobody is "circumventing RNG", that doesn't make sense at all.

Yet you have to admit it's paradoxical for them to claim their goal is for items to have "value". Wouldn't items have even more value if you attached the ultimate unit of currency to them? Nothing is better than an ultra rare axe worth $8,000. They're breeding a rabid beast addicted to "value" but complain when he hungers for more.

The fact is, items, characters, time spent in the game alone or with others, all already have inherent value to individual players without needing a focus on economy. What are the value of my own characters and experiences in this game? What's the value of etup's accomplishments? They're priceless to either of us.

In my opinion, all of this economic trade mogul crap just brings out the worst in people, and I see it like a remnant of the days after the popularity of D2 died down. In those days everyone seemed to be kind of a seedy scumbag or outright scammer. Even a few of my acquaintances botted, some even buying runes for real money. Why? I have no idea. Those types always got bored of the game and quit shortly. Everyone just seemed to be trying to get a shady edge on everyone else somehow, and often gloated about it openly. Unfortunately, PoE's model seems to be designed to cater to that same type of player. Ultra-ridiculous RNG for angry, hardcore 16 year olds to brag about.

That's pretty much all I've ever seen come from game economies like PoE's.
"
LostForm wrote:

johnkeys, are you honestly implying you have been trying to get a high level map for 2 and a half years? You are either by a wide margain the unluckiest guy in the world, or you are full of beans about your actual effort put in. I know you automatically cast charges of rmt against people that have done a max level map, so this does explain some of it i suppose.

I'm not "implying" anything. I'm saying it directly:
I will not get to face Uber Atziri, in this game. or obtain any of the gear necessary, to not get insta-obliterated in Alluring Abyss.
never. not in a billion fkn years when the Andromeda Galaxy slams into the Milky Way.
and Palace Dominus to me, is a Zana mission. I never faced the actual 78' version.
same goes for maps like Death And Taxes.

and now we have even higher maps, while RNG is stronger than it was pre-Awakening...
and now the gear-check is stronger...
do you think I have anything to hope for? I don't. I should just give up and keep running chars through normal content and try out new builds, to keep my sanity in tact.
that's what I do. that's what I keep coming back to, when every attempt at doing some maps progressively, comes to an abrupt end.

charges of RMT? really?
are you done with Fade and ready to troll me, now?
you'll be disappointed because I'm an easy target. I get angry by these things instantly, because quite frankly they hurt like hell.
you need more of a challenge. someone who trades and says "game is fine!", just like yourself.
someone who shares your belief, "you only need 3^11 level 68 maps to get a level 79 one" is a valid argument, rather than an accurate example of a huge fkn problem.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 31, 2015, 1:46:26 PM
so you are directly saying that for 2 and a half years you have been playing maps and have not managed to get a palace map ever?

If you have not even tried to gear and build for atziri, have not farmed atziri, of course you will never get to uber atziri. PoE is not going to call your cell phone and invite you to come run palace map, your friends might though if you were into such things.

But if you look for it, especially for 2 and half years, i guarantee you will get suitable gear for uber atziri and find a palace map. I will guarantee it. 100% you will accomplish those things if you play with the goal of accomplishing those things, self-found, in 2 and a half years.

Your attitude towards it though is defeatist in nature, so it does not suprise me at all that you can't do it. And I am totally behind it possibly not being worth the effort self-found, this is just entertainment after all. But the thing is, this entertainment includes economy and trading.

I bet the inclusion of the core boss, a boss specifically designed to be out of reach, really grinds your gears that it exists. Your attitude is this ironic mix of completionist and somebody that hates having to do stuff.

Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Jul 31, 2015, 1:55:08 PM
I really enjoy the "I guess I have to buy maps" pity party, as though maps just magically form in the trade ether from nowhere. Surely nobody can manage to progress if you can't? Amirite?
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
what else would the in game items be used for? of course you get the hard earned currency to plug into playing the game further. Of course that is what its for.
Hey...is this thing on?
"
FadeXF wrote:

I have no options here but to buy my maps - to use my well earned currency to essentially plug "quarters in to the machine" to "Do You Wish To Continue? YES NO"

That's basically that.

which makes you smarter than me.
because I just keep banging my fist on the machine, screaming "please, give me something! I did what was required! please don't do this to me!" at the top of my lungs, when the big, bright sign on it quite clearly reads, "Exalts, or Get The Fuck Out".
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
FadeXF wrote:
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
I really enjoy the "I guess I have to buy maps" pity party, as though maps just magically form in the trade ether from nowhere. Surely nobody can manage to progress if you can't? Amirite?

Are you in a dedicated map party Jah? Or you speaking from the vantage of a solo mapper?

I am absolutely 100% solo. I promise you. And here's my current map pool:

Spoiler

I'm actually just recovering from a big slump. Ran like 10 76s with nothing to show for it. But I don't set myself up for failure and just yolorun my best maps at any given time. I'm not going to even be touching any of those 77s until I get my 76s back up to speed. But hey, keep yolorunning and keep whining if that floats your boat.

edit: forgot to mention those are just my 75+ maps, I have more 73/74 than I know what to do with.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
Last edited by JahIthBer89 on Jul 31, 2015, 2:12:02 PM
@fade
how can you call it 'currency' and then be upset that you buy stuff with it. you descirbed it as hard earned currency. I dont strictly view it as such.

I will say that you have traded more than me, by a very large margin. Maybe it is luck, maybe it is playing pretty much all my maps with a friend, i dont know, but the facts are, i have traded way less than you and sit at the same point in the game as you, maybe slightly ahead currently in map pool, though that mjolner will make you pull away by a lot if you invest in that build.

(currently equipped i have only traded for the lioneye's bow, but i also have a CoD in stash, and that is the extent of my trading)
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Jul 31, 2015, 2:17:41 PM
What is the point of playing PoE if you get everything you want without doing anything. Yeah increase the drop chance.. increase everything to the point where i am not excited anymore if i get something good.

Give me more 75+ Map drops because i want to hit 100 within 1-2 weeks instead of 3-4.

Eww.. no thanks.
"
FadeXF wrote:

How about you go ahead and level 65 to 90 purely in mapping

This is a huge part of most peoples problem. Why are you bothering to run maps before level 75+? You can easily get 75+mil xp per hour in Dried lake. Its EZ its similar to past piety runs in terms of loot except you get good xp.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Last edited by Dethklok on Jul 31, 2015, 2:52:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info