Maps? Why we need this? Solution inside.

People are complaining now about maps... well my conclusion is - why maps are created for? Better drop? Not really. Better EXP and level scaling? Yes but why?

How to fix the problem - delete map system from the game. After that decrease level from 100 to 60 and increase skill point reward for each level from 1 to 2. Then double the EXP people need for each level. Multiple minions HP at cruel by 2 and create much more blue minions. Multiple minions HP at merciless by 4 times (or 5, 6, what ever) and make every minion at merciless blue (with stronger resistances, defences and stronger attacks) - and left the number of minions as it is now. Make normal and cruel do not reward EXP to players with level 45 or higher. In merciless multiple chance for unique or good rare equipment by 5 in instances like Piety, Dominus and even more in instances with stronger enemies (uber Atziri with 10x more life?! 50x better drop!). Delete quests in merciless and turn on every teleport there is and add even more (you cant even imagine how boring is doing the same thing 3rd time) - because its a GRINDING-based game anyway. Problem solved.

(this is only a light propositions of changes what can grant really hard but rewarding endgame without stupid endless grind system, its not final and ready-to-go solution)

Merciless will be hard as f but will grant very fair rewards. People will be forced to play in teams and to really watch themselfs. Merciless will become a true endgame and people will not have to spend rest of their life for grinding maps. At least - guild system will find its place in game. Now its used only to increase stock for items... Everyone who will want to play merciless will be forced to spend many time in cruel to find a good gear what let to survive in early stages of endgame (act 1) and after that people will be forced to find a team/guild (in act 2+). Chris once wrote GGG dont want many people to reach 100lv. I understand it but for me the best way to reach the goal is to increase difficulty of a game rather then "improving" endless grind system to only stole precius time from players. 60lv in hard-as-f game will mean much more then 100lv in spend-rest-of-your-life-at-gringing-maps game. 60lv in my proposition will mean that someone spend houers and houers of time creating his build, finding good items and try really hard.

Sorry for my poor english I cant use it very well and its really late in my country now so its even worst then usually.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Maps are endgame content. And I want to be able to do quests on Merciless.

Also, I do want to have some endgame content where I can check my character and face a challenge. I want that endgame content to be available (i.e. not gated behind RNG) and I do not want to need the drops in that endgame content to actually do the endgame content.

But that is just my personal opinion.

Also, some of the map boss fights are really well-designed, would suck to loose them.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
IMO map system is great, I play every new character just to finally start doing maps. So I strongly disagree with your suggestion.
You both are missing the point - im not talking about deleting LOCATIONS from maps only a maps itself. Maps are working like a common teleport to location nothing more. There is no problem in opening these teleports to everyone in Merciless. The point is to make this locations so much difficult you both will not stand a chance to do it alone :)
So basically get rid of the maps and the portal device and travel to the former mapping areas by waypoint, right? And make them ridiculously tough, as if they were rolled 200% or higher and run unid'd... Doesn't sound too bad really. Would sure simply some stuff while keeping a real challenge if you want to play "postgame"
"
necrokillaz wrote:
... and after that people will be forced to find a team/guild (in act 2+)...

No! I want to play solo, till the very end-game. I don't want to be forced to play in team, the day when it'd happen will be the day of my quit.
May God have mercy upon my enemies; they will need it.
"
So basically get rid of the maps and the portal device and travel to the former mapping areas by waypoint, right? And make them ridiculously tough, as if they were rolled 200% or higher and run unid'd... Doesn't sound too bad really. Would sure simply some stuff while keeping a real challenge if you want to play "postgame"

Un'id as default would be great fun.

But I like how maps are customisable and how they are are drain to currency.
Maybe a fusion? I don't mind the lower tier to be accessable as the topic starter suggests. But the higher tier should stay the same I think. For 2 reasons: as a money drain and as a barrier to getting lvl 100 in 2 weeks. Everybody would just play the highest level maps if they are capable. Others will be ignored.

Another idea would be to create a portal to a random +1 level map if you kill the boss of the current map. So you could chain your play with ease. The penalty is that dying or portalling out of it will force you to go back to the map you started with to find the boss portal to be able to go back to the higher map.
"
No! I want to play solo, till the very end-game. I don't want to be forced to play in team, the day when it'd happen will be the day of my quit.

The truth is you can't balance maps in end game. You want to play solo, great but how playing maps is look like? You take map on level 73 and farm it until you get new gear and get higher lvl so basicly the next map you will play (lets say 77) will be much easier, so at the end difficulty is not rising - the time you have to spend on farming maps is rising. The game is ending now at 65 level anyway everything beyond that is just farming. You want to play solo? Of course you can! How many characters you have at 100 lv? 1? 0? Probably you have the characters near level 75 (like 90% of PoE population). Thats mean in my system (after decrease level cap) you will be at 45 level and finish cruel. 15 levels beyond that will be created only for the best players in game who know that sometimes you have to team up.

"
Everybody would just play the highest level maps if they are capable. Others will be ignored.

Not if you create the best maps so difficult that without doing others lower tier maps locations you will be not able to do them even in team with 5 players. But you not only gets EXP from level 45-60 in instances but also a really better chance to drop good items.

"
So basically get rid of the maps and the portal device and travel to the former mapping areas by waypoint, right? And make them ridiculously tough, as if they were rolled 200% or higher and run unid'd...

Yes, something like that. :)
Last edited by necrokillaz on Jul 30, 2015, 5:55:37 AM
"
necrokillaz wrote:
"

The truth is you can't balance maps in end game. You want to play solo, great but how playing maps is look like? You take map on level 73 and farm it until you get new gear and get higher lvl so basicly the next map you will play (lets say 77) will be much easier, so at the end difficulty is not rising - the time you have to spend on farming maps is rising. The game is ending now at 65 level anyway everything beyond that is just farming. You want to play solo? Of course you can! How many characters you have at 100 lv? 1? 0? Probably you have the characters near level 75 (like 90% of PoE population).

Actually I have them rather around 88-92. That's what I always aiming for.

"
necrokillaz wrote:

Thats mean in my system (after decrease level cap) you will be at 45 level and finish cruel. 15 levels beyond that will be created only for the best players in game who know that sometimes you have to team up.

I didn't say I never team up. I said that I prefer to play solo but sometimes I'm playing in team of two or three persons. That's fine, but from what you have written people would be forced to play in teams, that's what I don't like really.

Btw, your proposal to have portals to former mapping areas is quite similar in what they have in Diablo 3 - I mean Rifts.
May God have mercy upon my enemies; they will need it.
"
necrokillaz wrote:
People are complaining now about maps... well my conclusion is - why maps are created for? Better drop? Not really. Better EXP and level scaling? Yes but why?

Maps serve both goals well:

* better drops -> IIQ bonus, gated uniques, high ilvl bases, now also integrated IIR
* better XP -> XP scaling, more XP through inhabitation bonuses

I like the map system, the base concept - dynamically rolled tiered content of increasing difficulty. What I'd want is less RNG gating, more difficulty based & map quantity based progression.

Mapping (progress) in 1.3 was too easy, mapping in 2.0 is way too much random and expensive.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info