Remove Global chat from the game. It will greatly benefit GGG and players.

"
Ceri wrote:
Well, for starters: how would people talk to eachother? If you remove global they would just go to trade chat and continue there. And their experience would be even worse since that is also full of constant trade spam. Then what, remove trade chat too and direct people to the forums?

You can't simply remove the option for people to chat with eachother. It's a fundamental feature of any multiplayer game, like it or not.

There's many other ways to communicate in game (Public Parties, Guild chat, whispering, etc etc). I am suggesting Global chat be removed, not the entire chat system.

"
Caridor wrote:
If you don't like it, you can disable it.
Why should someone who actually likes discussing in global, be stopped from doing so?

Again, it's not about me, nor my likes or dislikes.

Also, if you want an instant messenger, there's plenty out there.

"
morbo wrote:
The only global chats I've ever opened are 820 and now in Warbands 710 a few times.

820 is pretty well moderated by players themselves, as offtopic trolls & spammers can quickly end up on everyone's ignore list.

This is one way to (somehow) solve the issue: have official (meaning designated by GGG) chat rooms, that cover specific topics / functionality. People will mostly keep to the topic, those who won't, risk being ignored.

I get what you are saying but what happens when your ignore list is full?
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Last edited by FriendlyGamerGuy on Jul 28, 2015, 3:02:22 PM
I guess I'll drag out this old suggestion again...

I wish there was a "?" chat that was for new players and gameplay help, much like how there's a Gameplay Help/General Discussion division here on the forums. New accounts would automatically join "?" chat (if any at all), and #global would be restricted until later (or at least not default).

It could be overly/strongly moderated. I know that, personally, it's what I was unofficially doing before I was made a Game/Forum Moderator and for a while after. There's a lot of people that could really use some gameplay help and forcing them to sit in the same chat channel as bittervets and other internet detritus seems a bit rough.

#global would remain the same bullshit it always has been and continue to be report-driven-moderation. People would be able to move there freely and spew whatever offtopic shit is currently on their minds. Being evicted from ?help shouldn't cause as much stir as an in-game mute, and it should be considerably easier to enforce rules of ?help chat.

Anyway, just random thoughts. GGG thinks the current situation is perfectly fine, and they will likely never revive player moderation (which implies they will continue to only have enough manpower for report-driven moderation).
"

"
Caridor wrote:
Why should someone who actually likes discussing in global, be stopped from doing so?

Sorry, I wasn't born yesterday, so I don't believe for one second it's not about your personal tastes.
But you didn't answer my question, why shouldn't I be able to chat in global?
Last edited by Caridor on Jul 28, 2015, 3:02:55 PM
"
Caridor wrote:
"

"
Caridor wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't born yesterday, so I don't believe for one second it's not about your personal tastes.
But you didn't answer my question, why shouldn't I be able to chat in global?

I've spent a lot of time guiding new players in their journey with Path of Exile, helped them get information and items as well as taking the time to explain in depth details on why something they tried didn't work or how they could get it to work, yet you are implying I'm about my personal tastes? Over half my friends list is new players I told to add me for when they need help or have questions...

Furthermore, you are making this about you, asking why you shouldn't be able to talk in Global. My suggestion was made because Global chat is not helping players, especially new ones, have a good experience while playing the game. I for one know how hateful people online can be, and Global chat is honestly out of place in this game anymore.

It would be good for GGG to reduce the number of places people can have bad experiences.
"
pneuma wrote:

I wish there was a "?" chat that was for new players and gameplay help, much like how there's a Gameplay Help/General Discussion division here on the forums. New accounts would automatically join "?" chat (if any at all), and #global would be restricted until later (or at least not default).

It could be overly/strongly moderated. I know that, personally, it's what I was unofficially doing before I was made a Game/Forum Moderator and for a while after. There's a lot of people that could really use some gameplay help and forcing them to sit in the same chat channel as bittervets and other internet detritus seems a bit rough.

#global would remain the same bullshit it always has been and continue to be report-driven-moderation. People would be able to move there freely and spew whatever offtopic shit is currently on their minds. Being evicted from ?help shouldn't cause as much stir as an in-game mute, and it should be considerably easier to enforce rules of ?help chat.

Now there's a real solution. I like this idea a lot. :)
Contrary to what you may believe, it is quite common for new players in any game to not visit the game forums. Removing global removes the one obvious place to get help.

I'm frequently giving away packages of surplus skill gems to new players, as well as useful, but plentiful thus worthless uniques. Without global chat there would be no easy avenue to do that. I don't want to have to go through the hazzle of posing on the forum, then wait for a possible reply (probably at a time when I'm in the middle of playing), to help new players... I'm altruistic, but not that much!

So no, bad, BAD idea!
"
Ceri wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

Now there's a real solution. I like this idea a lot. :)

I agree.

Although I also think if this idea was implemented that players who have 3 or more offenses in Global chat shouldn't be able to use the new player/gameplay chat.

"
Cyzax wrote:
Contrary to what you may believe, it is quite common for new players in any game to not visit the game forums. Removing global removes the one obvious place to get help.

I'm frequently giving away packages of surplus skill gems to new players, as well as useful, but plentiful thus worthless uniques. Without global chat there would be no easy avenue to do that. I don't want to have to go through the hazzle of posing on the forum, then wait for a possible reply (probably at a time when I'm in the middle of playing), to help new players... I'm altruistic, but not that much!

So no, bad, BAD idea!

Public parties would be a good way to give away items like that, and also would be a good place for new players to find help in-game.
Last edited by FriendlyGamerGuy on Jul 28, 2015, 3:26:48 PM
"

I've spent a lot of time guiding new players in their journey with Path of Exile, helped them get information and items as well as taking the time to explain in depth details on why something they tried didn't work or how they could get it to work, yet you are implying I'm about my personal tastes? Over half my friends list is new players I told to add me for when they need help or have questions...

Furthermore, you are making this about you, asking why you shouldn't be able to talk in Global. My suggestion was made because Global chat is not helping players, especially new ones, have a good experience while playing the game. I for one know how hateful people online can be, and Global chat is honestly out of place in this game anymore.

It would be good for GGG to reduce the number of places people can have bad experiences.

Citation needed on helping people.

And yes, I am making it about me AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO ENJOYS TALKING IN GLOBAL!
You have once again, refused to answer why me and people like me, should be denied something we find fun.
Personally, I find it to be one of the things keeping me playing. It's helping me have a good experience while playing the game.
"
Caridor wrote:
"

Citation needed on helping people.

And yes, I am making it about me AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO ENJOYS TALKING IN GLOBAL!
You have once again, refused to answer why me and people like me, should be denied something we find fun.
Personally, I find it to be one of the things keeping me playing. It's helping me have a good experience while playing the game.

I really don't want to bother them to confirm I've helped them just because you don't believe me...

Also, I feel removing Global chat for people who enjoy it would be similar to nerfing certain builds people enjoy. In the end if it's better for the game as a whole I believe it's a good choice, assuming GGG sticks to their core values, which I'm sure they would.
"
Public parties would be a good way to give away items like that, and also would be a good place for new players to find help in-game.

No, it wouldn't be!

I'm the one giving away free items, and I want it to be as easy as possible (or I won't bother). Public parties suffer exactly the same problems as the forum, that it is too cumbersome!

For some reason, you've become mad at the public chat, and refuse to even consider the fact that quite a lot of players find it useful.

You're just wrong since it is useful... If other people find it useful, then it is useful, and your arguments that it isn't doesn't matter even one tiny little bit.
Why don't you just ignore it, and let those who find it useful use it?
Last edited by Cyzax on Jul 28, 2015, 4:17:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info