ULTIMATE Frost blades guide

"
Jonmcdonald wrote:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAAF4DhwUtBWYF-QYgCC4LwRR1FI4V8Bc-GYoZjhqPHaoj9ipNMHEwfDGwMgEzkjWSOd06Qj8nQxNDMUPnRnFJD0rIS3hM_02STipRTFO7VP5W-leXWHVaGluvXkVfsGBBY3BlTWeAbbRuqm-edKB07XfXfVt9dYGsgwmExYTvjX2Nv49gkAqS85VmlcyXBpsmm42btaOKpMKoB6iiqvisR7IZtfK74702vea-p7_VwHbBScHYwzPDOsSiyMzI3MpKy_XPetN-1CPUUtZY1y3YYNi92sHcvd2o32_hiOcP7T_tg-4O74_v4_ba-WP66_sJ_h3-Sf66

This is the tree I have in mind using Frost Blades on a Ranger with 2 Dreamfeathers, Queen of the Forest, Alpha Howl, and The Blood Dance: Like in this build

Do you have any ideas for improvement?

I noticed you went for more projectile damage than weapon damage on the tree, but I thought you recommended getting modifiers that work on both parts of the skill, what gives?

Also, considering how futile Frost Blades seems to be for single target, what single target skill would you recommend? Frenzy, like your character seems to use, seems like a good option considering the investment in Frenzy charges on my build idea, but the mana might be constrictive if I'm using Grace, Hatred, AND Herald of Ice.

I don't think this gear setup is balanced enough. 5% crit on Dreamfeather is really low. You need dagger or claw to scale crit.

Next, you need to plan 90 points build at first. This one is lacking DW block and have too many nodes wasted. I recommend you to make dagger/claw + shield build. Or dual wielding.
Last edited by MCSMvsME on Jul 16, 2015, 12:59:25 AM
What do you mean by 'wasted' nodes?
"
Jonmcdonald wrote:
What do you mean by 'wasted' nodes?

I think 8 mana nodes + 10 strength on the way to one claster is an overkill.
Also movement + ev kinda useless.
PB I will consider questionable for FB. Also build lacking crit a lot.
If you are going acro you need to think forward about defences. Low block like this is a suicide.
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAAF4CEQMnA4cFLQVmBfkILglYC8EUdRSOFfAXPhmKGY4ajxutHaohYCP2Kk0wcTB8MgEzkjWSOkI_J0MTQzFEnkTSRnFJD0rIS3hM_02STipRTFO7VP5W-leXWhpbr15FXotfsGBBY3BlTWeAbbRuqm-edO13131bfXWBrIMJg72ExY19jb-PYJLzlWaVzJcGmyabjZu1o4qj56TCqAeooqr4rEeyGbXyu-O9Nr3mvqe_1cB2wYvB2MMzwzrEosjMykrPetN-0_zUI9RS1ljXLdhg2L3awdun3ajd599v4YjtP-2D7g7vj-_j9tr5Y_rr-wn-Sf66

This is a tree that has less mana and even less crit (which I figure isn't worth going focusing on if the weapon choice doesn't allow for it), but all the dual wield block that can feasibly be reached.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAAF4CEQMnA4cFLQVmBfkILglYC8EUdRXwGYoZjhqPG60hYCP2MHEwfDIBM5I6QkMTQzFEnkTSSQ9LeEz_TZJOKlO7VP5W-leXWhpbr15FXotgQWNwZU107XfXfXWBrIO9jX2Nv49gkvOVZpXMlwabJpuNo4qj56TCshm74702vea-p7_VwYvDM8Siz3rTftP81CPUUtZY1y3YYNrB26fdqN3n7T_tg-4O7-P22vlj-uv7Cf66

This is a 90 point tree that doesn't go beyond Charisma and cuts down on the side-nodes on the way to Art of the Gladiator.

I don't see how Evasion + Movement is useless when I intend to use Dreamfeathers, which benefit greatly from higher evasion, and Frost Blades which benefits greatly from being able to more easily position oneself to hit the right enemies.
"
Jonmcdonald wrote:

Interesting take with the crit nodes and Point Blank! Has anyone tried that node and noticed a difference?

It takes a lot of effort to use mana in my experience, and you'll want a high level Enlighten linked to your auras so you can have enough unreserved mana, so I don't know if it's worth it. Instead of mana, you can link Frost Blades to Blood Magic or use Dreamfeather + Soul Taker (obviously Soul Taker is a little expensive - really the cheapest one will do here - but it solves all mana and Blood Magic concerns).

I wonder... What if you use Dreamfeather, largely ignore physical damage, take elemental/projectile/attack speed nodes, and stack flat cold damage + "increased elemental damage with weapons" on gear? Aura setup would be Grace + Anger (unless Hatred, even without physical stacking, somehow gives more damage) + Herald of Ice. Frost Blades setup would be FB + Multistrike + WED + Fork + Added Cold (+ Blood Magic/Faster Attacks/Cold Pen).

I should be able to test this out with a high level character once I get some more Regret, although it ultimately might be more beneficial to go with a phys build since elemental resistance is so annoying.

Also, do people realize how insane this is for fast attack builds as a way to regenerate life? Frost Blades + Multistrike + Faster Attacks/Fork + Life Gain on Hit and you can facetank most anything that can't one shot you.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Jul 15, 2015, 8:45:23 PM
Hi and thanks for the guide. I am thinking of making a dual wield claw shadow who focuses on cold damage and freeze for hardcore. Is it worth using frost blades with dual claws for pack management? Can you think of a better aoe for dual claws?
"
Jonmcdonald wrote:

I don't see how Evasion + Movement is useless when I intend to use Dreamfeathers, which benefit greatly from higher evasion, and Frost Blades which benefits greatly from being able to more easily position oneself to hit the right enemies.

because whirling blades exists, bow/wand/etc builds get more out of qotf than a build with a weapon that can use whirling blades.

there are just better alternatives
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-NL9JevOxF-6W3n-a7o-w

My Youtube channel with builds, unique and mechanic discussions etc
Last edited by Milkyslice on Jul 16, 2015, 12:36:13 AM
"
RestInPieces wrote:
Hi and thanks for the guide. I am thinking of making a dual wield claw shadow who focuses on cold damage and freeze for hardcore. Is it worth using frost blades with dual claws for pack management? Can you think of a better aoe for dual claws?

Reave is much better. For claws especially. But you can work FB out too if you want.
Also I recommend to use shield on hardcore.
"
Jonmcdonald wrote:

I just don't think Frost blades is optimal skill for Dreamfeather DW. You won't be able to clear large packs without HoI and crit synergy.
"
MCSMvsME wrote:
"
RestInPieces wrote:

Reave is much better. For claws especially. But you can work FB out too if you want.
Also I recommend to use shield on hardcore.

I religiously use a shield for HC on all occasions but in this case, I am thinking that with the changes in lifesteal and since I will also probably get acrobatics and vaal pact, a dual strike with claws sees nice too. Also I want to be able to freeze bosses a little with it, that is another reason.

3 lines of defense against a single target - lifesteal (vaal), freeze, acrobatics. Now whether this will work as well as I imagine... I have no idea yet, especially after the nerfs to freeze.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info