Low fps or fps drops.

I'll chime in here for a sec. I am having the exact same problems. Frequent FPS drops that could happen sitting in town or walking around maps but it dips constantly to unplayable levels (10-20 fps) when playing with anyone else in the party or when there is high density playing solo. This game has some of the worst performance I have seen in years. Here is a list of solutions that I have tried and have failed to work, hopefully this will save someone reading the time.

- Updated my BIOS, and all drivers for my system
- Did a fresh install of the game and ran the repair process in the PoE installer
- Tried adding commands to .exe (--nosound --noasync etc)
- Lowered all my settings to the very bottom, including sound and tried every combination of windowed/fullscreen vsync/novysnc (all direct X versions) to see if it solved the problem
- Added exceptions for my antivirus and disabled it and all other running programs before running PoE
- Ran the game in windows 7 compatibility and as an administrator

I have no issues with any other game on my system except for PoE. I am kinda at a loss on how to fix the issue.

System Model: Z170XP-SLI
BIOS: F20
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Monitor Model: VG248 (144hz)

I have tried to contact GGG support team and sent them a DxDiag but they are taking a long time to respond.
You should try to check if HDD works during fps drop or there is lag as lockstep make drop of fps too. Try to play on predictive to be sure its ur gpu.
Hey guys. I've been having horrible FPS issues when opening Strongboxes/Breaches in the last 2-3 months. ( I didn't have these issues before! )

Here's some info about my machine.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 3.10 GHz
8GB RAM
64 bit
Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video: Radeon HD 6900 Series

2 or 3 months ago I ran the game at max settings without any issues at max FPS.
After that I started getting INSANE FPS drops to like 1-5 for around 2-3 seconds when opening Breaches or Strongboxes.

I disabled Shadows, I lowered quality to Runescape mode, from the .ini file, I disabled all other options from the in-game menu and lowered everything to the minimum - I STILL get the FPS drops, so at least I know it's not from the texture quality.

What could be causing this issue?
Any ideas?

Most people say it is something on your side?

I tried running the DX 11 version, but I get like 30-40 FPS in there, and in Breaches - 1-2 FPS, and I cannot disable Shadows, so it's suicide for me to play DX11 version.
I tried dx9 ex but it's still not as good as DX9.

Now I am playing only on DX9 and PRAYING when I open a breach or a Strongbox that I don't die.

P.S. When I play my Pathfinder with Spectral throw - I get screen freezes for 1-5 seconds.
With my Ancestral warchief berserker I try to keep the kills off my screen so I get 3-4 fps for 2-3 seconds max.
I don't know about you, but a lot of my friends left the game because of the bad performance of the game. If the performance was better, the amount of player would be higher. Does ggg realizing how the performance is the most important thing instead of an act 5?? i don't care about act 5, i want actually play the game without having performance issues, breach is like impossible to play, literally, fps drop insane. Meanwhile, i can play Doom 4 without having problems... are we serious? path of exile is so fucking heavy.. i can play the new generation games easly, but path of exile not. I feel so bad for the people having a bad pc that would like to play poe, good look to you
"
RawrrFearMe wrote:
Hey guys. I've been having horrible FPS issues when opening Strongboxes/Breaches in the last 2-3 months. ( I didn't have these issues before! )

8GB RAM
64 bit
Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1

Spoiler
After that I started getting INSANE FPS drops to like 1-5 for around 2-3 seconds when opening Breaches or Strongboxes.

I disabled Shadows, I lowered quality to Runescape mode, from the .ini file, I disabled all other options from the in-game menu and lowered everything to the minimum - I STILL get the FPS drops, so at least I know it's not from the texture quality.

Any ideas?

I tried running the DX 11 version, but I get like 30-40 FPS in there, and in Breaches - 1-2 FPS, and I cannot disable Shadows, so it's suicide for me to play DX11 version.

Now I am playing only on DX9 and PRAYING when I open a breach or a Strongbox that I don't die.

P.S. When I play my Pathfinder with Spectral throw - I get screen freezes for 1-5 seconds.
With my Ancestral warchief berserker I try to keep the kills off my screen so I get 3-4 fps for 2-3 seconds max.

well theres your problem. its that you are using Win7 and DX11. the way things are configured on their side of things (as i recall) Win7 suffers a performance loss trying to run DX11. so you have to run DX9 or DX9EX.

"
I don't know about you, but a lot of my friends left the game because of the bad performance of the game. If the performance was better, the amount of player would be higher. Does ggg realizing how the performance is the most important thing instead of an act 5?? i don't care about act 5, i want actually play the game without having performance issues, breach is like impossible to play, literally, fps drop insane. Meanwhile, i can play Doom 4 without having problems... are we serious? path of exile is so fucking heavy.. i can play the new generation games easly, but path of exile not. I feel so bad for the people having a bad pc that would like to play poe, good look to you

its not just performance, though if you cant play a game with decent frame rates and low latency then you may as well not be playing at all.

there are several reasons around i have seen to date for people quitting the game which GGG attributes to the "vocal minority". the vocal miniority though is always a minority because they keep pushing people out one after the other.

the short of it is would be..
-labyrinth
-build variety and viability
-trade
-recent latency problems for many
-recent fps issues starting with their work on DX11 for many
-no crossplatform support (not like xbox either which is still DX.. i mean like Mac, Linux, PS4 which all use things like OpenGL and Vulcan)
-no race seasons have been going on

"
M0rO wrote:
"
RawrrFearMe wrote:

8GB RAM
64 bit
Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1

Spoiler

Any ideas?

well theres your problem. its that you are using Win7 and DX11. the way things are configured on their side of things (as i recall) Win7 suffers a performance loss trying to run DX11. so you have to run DX9 or DX9EX.

This is not strictly correct. Whilst it's true that some of the features introduced in patch 2.5.2 are designed for DX11.1/WDDM 1.2 and above (i.e. they won't work on Windows 7) the performance issues may or may not be related. (I wish GGG would comment on this!)

It's certainly possible to run DX11 with Windows 7, in fact, I do. When DX11 was introduced in 2.4.2 it changed the game, performance wise, for me. Unfortunately, 2.5.2 changed things for the worse. That said, I still use DX11 because the DX9 clients, with shrines, boxes, breaches and packs cause terrible performance issues. With DX11 I get fairly stable fps, (around 50/55) even with breaches and big packs. Unfortunately, I also get, completely random, freezes, with no apparent reason. These could be server side, VRAM related or perhaps my computer's on it's last legs! I'm just waiting for the next few patches to see how the wind blows. Remember, the DX11 client is still in beta.

Same problem.

In most areas the game randomly stutters.

The last boss is HELL. It is a slideshow. Sometimes I just result to popping whatever buffs I have if I'm in a party to help them and just sit there avoiding damage. There's nothing else I can do most of the time. There is absolutely no *@&#ing excuse my system should experience this.

Checking GPU usage and it sits at about 22%. Are you #*%#ing kidding me.

Show some damn love to AMD users. Sitting here with a $300 8-core for no reason.

This is with DX9 and everything on minimum settings or turned off (1920x1080).
Last edited by Marikc0 on Mar 5, 2017, 4:24:31 PM
A more serious developer would have adressed this already, ever sinse the DX11 update the game runs very uneven. The best i can do is to run it in DX9 with --waitforpreload --nopreload --noasync -gc 1 in Predicative networkmode but the FPS still jump up and down like crazy. My system isn't even braking a sweat either, 20-25% utilization...The performence get progressivly worse going from Normal -> Maps. Diablo III for example runs hotter, but @60FPS all the time, why can't we have some of that. The engine is fubar to the core, so i think we are stuck with this unfortunately.

They need to hire someone who know what they are doing. This wouldn't been accepatble if you payed for it, but alas...
“Close your eyes and let the mind expand. Let no fear of death or darkness arrest its course. Allow the mind to merge with Mind. Let it flow out upon the great curve of consciousness. Let it soar on the wings of the great bird of duration, up to the very Circle of Eternity.”
OMG I'VE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. ALL i HAD TO DO WAS SWITCH TO DX11 AND MOW IM SOLID 300 FPS THE WHOLE TIME. I FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT. That is all.
For me the problem was solved by switching from lockstep to predictive networking modes. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my top of the line gaming laptop was getting terrible FPS when I can play every other game at max settings.

I use my cellular connection for Internet and finally put it together that I was getting the lag during peak hours when the network was congested.

There should REALLY be an explanation of this in the settings. I happened to see that on what was going to be my last login before quitting the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info