Explosive Arrow Marauder (Updated for Release)

This build is tried and tested by multiple people. It does work. What makes you say that this is a bad way to build for explosive arrow?

Also, I must correct you, the explosion is actually considered projectile damage.
Last edited by Pastromy on Feb 12, 2013, 6:20:56 AM
I really like this build so far but theres one question left: does iron grips dmg count on explosive arrow(the explosion dmg cause as you mentioned it is considered projectile dmg)? If so would it be beneficial to respecc the fury bolts and life nodes on the lower right into iron grip and health nodes in the middle?

edit: how much are the -enemy critical strike multiplier worth
Last edited by Mamurack on Feb 12, 2013, 8:23:42 AM
Iron Grip does not work with the explosion damage. This is because the damage is considered projectile, aoe, fire damage. Whereas Iron Grip only works with projectile attacks. Furthermore, the explosion is fire damage, and Iron Grip only works on physical damage.

-enemy crit is really strong because it reduces damage when you need it most, plus its along your path anyway.
Why take Fury Bolts? Only the basic (low) arrow damage will be boosted by that won't it?

Resolute Technique - I am not seeing a need for it at the start of merciless but most people seem to favour it. I wonder what your reason is? I guess you don't need crits if everything is set on fire anyway.

You don't take anything from the cluster round arsonist (NW of blood magic), particularly the unique 30% burn duration. I guess your burns last long enough? If in doubt defence I guess!

Thinking of trying burning over fire though can't afford to respec back if I don't like it!
How good do you think a passive setup like this would be for explosive arrow?

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3Uj_IvGS4n7ayqcqlZ83zZ9zLAGvjrkFVBqqeEFHEaOKcw7DgB5xQgOtg26FBHTdhko548jHYaVYFvYSEEs4TvFE3wHwJxdO2iAHrvYEsFLUCgIWB08RjbQ5wOrSmlgzjvfDwFn9-LjAVbZp760jbp42odFI9G0NDPZVXGFm-nCLiTDH0Qf8aem6H316yYFLAA_RdQTC2CHtsLnrlbr90NLOnEuNX4_MVnoId2Sn0y0UVHdFV8zuvkXyo=

CONS:
- no projectile damage increase nodes
- less HP regen (5.2% versus 4.4%)
- no increase burning damage
- no EE

PROS:
- MANA (~1500) (eldritch battery, INT nodes/discipline aura)
- ability to run more auras (grace, discipline, purity, determination, MAYBE vitality)
- only need to use blood magic on EA on 4/5L (setup would be: EA - BM - IAOE - CE - [perhaps RM])
- purity will give more resistances and increase resistances cap
- determination gives +armor%
- vitality would increase HP regen (4.4% --> 5.4% when lvl 10 aura)
- all auras bolstered by inner force nodes

BM = blood magic
EA = explosive arrow
IAOE = increased area of effect
CF = concentrated effect
RM = reduced mana (in this case it would be life)

Let me know what you think of these changes and why they may or may not work. Obviously this build can go either Templar or Marauder to start, though Marauder would have more survivability early on (into 30s).

TLDR; swap burning damage for auras/mana and focus on explosive damage burst
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ POE OR WELL MET ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Last edited by cynicalidealism on Feb 12, 2013, 11:24:44 AM
Fury Bolts does affect the damage of the explosion--it is considered projectile damage (note: it is not considered attack damage though).

There are a couple of reasons for RT:
1) It means that I'll always hit the target that I want to stack charges on.
2) It means that I won't kill myself by critting on a reflect mob. I do enough damage without crit chance anyway, so this potential dps loss doesn't concern me.

I don't know why the 30% duration node didn't show up, I meant to include it in the build, which has now been updated with it.

As far as the mana based EA build goes, I believe it is really hard to do. I admit, by not going blood magic, you would get %auras, but I don't think it's feasible to use a Blood Magic gem with EA. This is because, even 4L, explosive arrow will cost you around 50 mana at low level (~lvl 40), and over 100 at high level. Multiplying this by 245% (I think BM gem goes to around 220% late game), would mean that you would want even more life regen than you would have if using the BM passive.

EE is actually a huge damage boost for the build. This is especially true when facing fire resist mobs.

80% all resist is generally sufficient in my experience. And, since you aren't really looking for any damage on gear, you'll easily be able to itemize for resists.

Lastly, the problem with focusing on the damage burst is that you'll have huge problems with reflect. As it stands, this build already needs to be a bit careful with reflect, so focusing on the damage of the explosion would be even worse for reflect.
Hey, did you change your build link?

It no longer focuses on BM and instead focuses on mana/regen.

I am now confused. :S
IGN: Mibuwolf
Oops... I think I must have posted my Shadow's current build or something.

It should be fixed now though.
"
Pastromy wrote:
Oops... I think I must have posted my Shadow's current build or something.

It should be fixed now though.

Good. Good. :D

What do you personally use to trigger EE and why?
IGN: Mibuwolf
Last edited by mibuwolf on Feb 12, 2013, 12:13:00 PM
I use Lightning Arrow with LMP (or GMP) and Life on Hit.

I like using it because it has good target coverage and it functions really well with life on hit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info