Explosive Arrow Marauder (Updated for Release)

This is my Explosive Arrow build for a Marauder.

NOTE: I just updated the build to correspond to the 1.0.0 patch

Here is my new endgame build:

The build is generally meant to be used in a HC setting, but would still be viable in softcore.

For the first 25 levels, you will be really weak. The goal is simply to stack hp and hp regen for when you go Blood Magic. So, I like to get the regen and hp from the marauder tree and the templar tree.

At level 24, you will be using your fully functional Explosive Arrow. This requires a 4L. Your gems will be Explosive Arrow, Chance to Ignite, Elemental Proliferation, and Fire Penetration (in that order of importance). When you get more links, you will want to use Increased AoE and Increased Burning Damage. If you have a quality Increased Burning Damage, you can also potentially replace Chance to Ignite with it. You will lose some chance to ignite this way, but it frees up another socket. It's also viable to use Concentrated Effect, but it is very dangerous versus reflect.

At around level 30, you'll be able to get BM, which you will need in order to be able to sustain your build. This is because, in order to maximize dps, I use Quill Rain--making the mana cost per second extremely high.

Then, I like to get the burn damage nodes in the templar area. After that, its a decision between the aoe nodes and Elemental Equilibrium. To use EE effectively, you'll 5 stack a target, and then you'll use LA with LMP and LoH. This means the explosion will be hitting a lot harder. After the explosion, you'll want to use LA again to increase the burn damage (since the explosion was fire damage). You only need to do this once as burn damage won't proc EE. Another strong option is running Split Arrow with LoH+Chain+Blind/Chance to Flee. You will also need to have some lightning or cold damage on gear to get the EE proc if you do this.

This build excels at clearing packs. The burn damage because of EE is exceptional.

I believe the mechanics of explosive arrow itself warrant a bit of explanation.

It only scales off of 3 things: AoE damage, Fire Damage, and Projectile damage. It does NOT scale off of weapon elemental damage--the explosion doesn't at least which is the main damage source of this build.

Gem Choices:
Spoiler

4L: EA+Chance to Ignite + Elemental Proliferation + Fire Penetration

The 4L setup is basically set in stone. I also experimented with Increased Burning Damage over Fire Pen, but I feel that Fire Pen gives you much more consistent damage.

5L: 4L setup + Increased Area of Effect / Increased Burning Damage

I personally prefer Increased AoE as the 5th link since it makes clearing big packs faster, in my opinion. Increased Burning Damage is definitely another valid choice though, since it does give a big damage increase. Another though has been to use Concentrated Effect, but I don't like large reduction in area that comes with it.

6L: EA + Chance to Ignite + Elemental Proliferation + Fire Penetration + (pick 2) Increased Area of Effect, Increased Burning Damage, Concentrated Effect

I personally prefer the setup without Concentrated Effect since using Conc Effect can cause a ton more issues with reflect. My original setup was to use Increased AoE and Conc Effect, but with the introduction of Increased Burning Damage, I feel that Conc Effect is outclassed.

Last edited by Pastromy on Nov 25, 2013, 8:07:39 AM
explain please how you would tackle bosses/single target mobs.

Also, how's your progress with the build so far?
IGN: Mibuwolf
Last edited by mibuwolf on Feb 11, 2013, 10:45:38 AM
Quality Explosive arrow gives 1% ignite chance per quality. So with that and chance to ignite, I get like a 60% ignite chance. After using flammability, I get even more ignite chance, bringing it up to around a 75% chance.

If I get the burn proc, I will 1 shot anything but Piety and Vaal.

I hit level 66 previously on the ladder--and had hit map phase--before dying.

I've remade and am level 38 now, after optimizing the build a bit to its current state.
How long do you use Quill Rain? Always?

What sort of stats do you look for on gear?

And for the noob I am - waht is LA / LMP / and LoH?>
Can find a lot more information in this thread:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/75492

Feel free to come in and ask questions!
So, then I'm guessing that you are implying burn damage trumps fire damage?
IGN: Mibuwolf
Last edited by mibuwolf on Feb 11, 2013, 9:18:08 PM
Burn damage does trump fire damage, especially with Elemental Equilibrium.

As far as Quill Rain goes, I would use it until I found a +2 to bow gems grove/thicket/short bow (with 6s potential) and a high ias roll. Even if you don't find it, you'll still be very successful (on Closed Beta, I used a Quill Rain at level 72).

As for gear, %fire damage on rings and necks are good. Everything else you're looking for is just defensive. All you need is life and resists.

LA=Lightning Arrow
LoH=Life on Hit
LMP=Lesser Multiple Projectiles

As far as finding more information goes, I am also capable of answering questions you may have, I fully tested this build on the CB ladder as well--and there weren't any significant changes to it.

darrellwyatt, I don't really like some things about your endgame build. I don't think its a good idea not to get golem's blood. It's more efficient going down there. Also, with elemental proliferation, you don't need to go to the witch tree to get the extra aoe nodes. Plus, I feel that the burn damage is what REALLY makes the build good.

We can talk about build differences if you want, but I feel like mine is a lot safer end game with nearly comparable DPS.

I just watched your Docks run video. I don't understand how you expect the build to be effective in maps. At that level, I have nearly 4k hp with similar, if not better, clear speed. With an hp pool of 3k, and a cost of 150 per cast, how do you expect to survive? You don't even get Golem's Blood! I really think you should consider investing in more life and life regen nodes and focusing less on damage. By my testing, you don't need that much damage. I also suggest trying out elemental proliferation and chance to ignite.
Last edited by Pastromy on Feb 12, 2013, 5:34:54 AM
That's not my build, it's just a thread that a lot of people doing this kind of build have been discussing it in.
Oh... Well, then my post is directed at whomever used that build.

The whole gmp/lmp EA thing is basically suicide. You lose all semblance of control. Also, the scaling is so strong that, even without that, you can still be at risk of death from reflect when 5 stacking something. To counteract that, relying on burn damage is a good option. As I've mentioned, when paired with Elemental Proliferation, you'll get very similar, if not higher, clear speed.

Also, my build has only 20 dps. :P
Last edited by Pastromy on Feb 12, 2013, 5:48:46 AM
bad way to build for explosive arrow.
And the explosion isnt projectile dmg.. so thats useless.
Last edited by hazardi on Feb 12, 2013, 6:11:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info