Devourers are good

Devourers are good

I like that thay are scary, deal good damage, make maps interesting, force certain gameplay.
I hope you will not change them and will add more monsters like them.

This is not joke, sarcasm or irony.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Jun 27, 2015, 4:54:31 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
kamil1210 wrote:
Devourers are good

I like that thay are scary, deal good damage, make maps interesting, force certain gameplay.
I hope you will not change them and will add more monsters like them.

This is not joke, sarcasm or irony.

Devourers are designed to target your bum-hole both IRL and in the game. Excellent execution.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Don't forget the drop-bears too!

Nasty little critters. Especially if you melee. Sometimes if they're not rare or blue I don't even notice that there is still one alive. Especially in high underbrush.

You have to just love how RNG always FUNK you up with the right kind of rare drop-bear:

Phys reflect for melee/EK and Ele reflect for casters and ranged. Sometimes they even have a haste aura on 'em.

Guess the devs thought if they can't one-shot you with nothing else then these will do the job.

I will never forget my first map from the early days.

Dried lake. Portaled in. Walked few steps. Then WHAMMO! Dead on the spot. 8 Magic devourers with a rare in the middle out of nothing. I guess it wouldn't have mattered how many life I got they'd still got me. I had good armor/gear and capped res etc. They got me so fast that I was dead before I could reach the flask key, but I doubt that would helped even if it was instant recovery type (panicked or seething).

So sure, we need more of these cluster f***ers.

Devourers are bugged.
Usually they are ok for me. There is a small delay between them emerging and attacking. But sometimes (2 times in 20 maps for me) there is NO delay for some reason, making the encounter a rather unfair insta-kill.
www.ufoai.org (turn-based strategy, SciFi, OpenSource)
I heard they're getting toned down in the expansion, giving more time for the player to react after they emerge, also less extreme surrounding behavior.

The devourers in the normal areas like in the forests in Act 2 are mostly OK, there are 3 areas where I hate if they span: Weaver's Chambersand, Hedge Maze and The Dread thicket.

I am mostly concerned about endgame/map devourers. Even if they don't have a yellow "leader" like they usually do, those blue packs can still kill you if they appear instantly below you without delay. There was an another time where I thought was lucky because I survived their initial attack (same instant appear "attack") then moved away fast only to get hit by another insta appear attack.

They also tend to follow you around more in maps than usual run in the mill levels.

O.K. I stop whining now, but they really need to be toned down... (Hope that you heard right that they were nerfed in the expansion Zed_)

...and them drop-bears too... (@-:)
Yeah devourers are really good, there is nothing quite like getting oneshot by a 10pack of Power Crit devourers in a map.

Kappa
+1
Noblesse oblige
Devourers would be better if they were much more powerful but didn't spawn in packs of 15 all stacked on top of each other. Mostly because it looks like trash.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Overall, I do like the idea of the devourer wyrms... I would just like to see them adjusted a bit, to make it a "cleaner" experience. Right now, as it stands, they kind of leave too much of a confusing experience, aesthetically and gameplay-wise. A bunch could be done to make them feel much more distinctive, as their own kind of monster, rather than just a cheap-tactics version of existing mobs.

- Reduce the pack sizes a bit; already, they are considered as good as MULTIPLE monsters at once for each one in terms of EXP and item drops, and their stats match.

- Increase their collision boxes with EACH OTHER; as it stands, when a group surfaces, they're all visually sticking their limbs, if not their whole BODIES, into each other. It just looks ugly and screams "bad CGI."

- Increase their detection radius when first encountered. Kind of annoying to encounter what I THOUGHT was a group of them... To then take one more step and encounter yet more of that same pack.

- Add effects and distinctiveness to their surfacing, including a greater "warning time." A rumbling, perhaps a little shaking of the ground... Even better might be is if the ground would visibly crack where they'd start to appear. Additionally, prevent a whole pack from simultaneously surfacing: force them to stagger it.

- For better effect, making the act of surfacing for a devourer a unique attack in and of itself, rather than it instantly jittering into a claw-swipe melee attack. With the prolonged and staggered animation, this should do MUCH more damage then their normal melee attack. Think of it akin to the Vaal Oversoul/Vessel's slam attack.

As it stands now... I don't think anyone is genuinely satisfied in the experience of combating them: most are either just frustrated... Or for a select few builds, it just feels cheap and boring. Case in point: my tank just simply shrugs when a group appear around him, and then slowly wears through those health bars; it merely gets irksome on the occasion one manages to dive before dying, and I have to wait for it to bother to surface again.

Combine all of the above recommendations, and you could turn that Act 3.5 monster from a weird, ugly thing that seems just confused, into an exciting encounter: every bit as challenging, but then also a rewarding experience to fight.

"
Devourers would be better if they were much more powerful but didn't spawn in packs of 15 all stacked on top of each other. Mostly because it looks like trash.

I do concur with that. The collision boxes they have with each other are just WAY too tiny, to where they're constantly clipped into each other.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info