Map Drops in The Awakening

There's some points you missed, that paua ring you used as an example whether to ID or not, resulting in 1 chaos or 2 chaos and therefore an extra roll on a high base...

1) That paua ring isn't alone, there's another ring, an ammy, a belt and every other slot you sacrifice the ID roll for that 1 more chaos.

2) Don't use the 1 chaos, or the 2 chaos, whatever recipe you chose. If you are going to craft that high base use an alchemy on a fresh white base each time, they are free and can then contribute to another chaos recipe every roll.

3) You put the case forward as if you were halfing the cost of rolling this high item by doing an UNID recipe. Well at the rate them tradey folks put on chaos and alchs, I just halfed it (or 3rd?) and you get a free roll on 9 items to boot. Not to mention the ease of making alchs over chaos puts the ratio a lot more than 2 or 3 to 1 for self found. And you make 1/3rd of the chaos recipe or regal recipe bottleneck every time it doesn't roll well, extra.

4) Base type does carry very little weight in comparison to mods rolled in many, many cases. A pair of boots, for example with MS and life, leaves very little for armour and/or evasion, a good pair of rare boots, is mostly defined by the life, the MS, and tri-resist. Even when a strength or dex attribute roll is desired on a life based evasion character, IDing a pure int low base pair of boots with top life, top MS and 3 good resists is a win. Get the strength elsewhere, lose a tiny bit of EV, profit.

Thanks to you, also. It's rare to have a conversation on here these days that's worth the bother.

Even if it's done wildly off topic to the thread. (Just noticed that, oops!!)
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Jun 13, 2015, 8:35:32 PM
"
Increasing the drop rate of higher-tier maps so that it's closer to (but not the same as) that of the live servers.

Drop rate in standard for 76+ maps is terrible. So u r nerfing end game? Think I will skip this game ...

"
Making map bosses more challenging and more rewarding to fight. They will drop more items (and maps) than they currently do. Note that they will now be the only monsters that drop maps two tiers above the current map level.

Most high level bosses do type of dmg that is pain to 2h builds. There is no reward to fight crema boss without spell block for example ... 10% exp is gone.
"
Tao_Jones wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
There are three goals for our changes:
  • For players to choose to play harder maps (by rolling them to have more and harder mods)
I'm sorry, big fella, but you lost me right there. How does the data you collected tell you about how and why players choose to do any particular behavior? We're talking motivations here, and data like that can only come from truthful feedback from the players, not from server data. I don't recall filling out a survey or participating in a focus group on how and why players are not choosing to play harder maps.
This is incorrect. Asking people what they'd do is usually accurate, but asking people to provide rationales for their behavior is scientifically established to not only yield bad rationales, but also corrupt preferences.

[Study] Asking people why they like a wall poster makes them pick out posters they like less
[Study] Students rate strawberry jams in same order as jam experts without giving reasons, but wildly different order when forced to explain themselves
[Video Lecture] Malcolm Gladwell on Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce

The average player has, at best, a foggy idea why they play the way they do. Seeking reasons from them is folly. Ask them what they like, ask them what they hate, and tally up the automatically collected numbers. That's about it.
"
Tao_Jones wrote:
Perhaps instead of using it to roll maps, players are saving their currency to purchase items, since there's very little chance something that fits a) their build, and b) their level is going to drop naturally at their feet when they need it to progress. Or perhaps they don't feel that the amount they spend in currency to roll tougher mods results in a corresponding increase in higher-level map drops. It sounds like you are making several assumptions, and shaky ones at that, unless you have truthful player feedback to support this assertion.

And your goal is to direct the game so that players are more likely to "choose" to do this? I'm interested to see what kind of rewards you think are sufficient to motivate that sort of "choice", in light of the fact that currency is a limited resource, is more generally useful in purchasing or crafting new/better gear, and rolling to maintain high map tiers has been a prodigiously expensive endeavor in the past.
Well, there is one obvious benefit of players rolling maps to have more mods - variety of play is increased. I think it's a totally valid goal to encourage players to run as many map affixes as possible, because picking 6 affixes out of the pool is much more random than 4 or 5 affixes.

Variety is good. So more mods is good. Harder mods? Not as sure about that one. It seems to me that varying the risk-reward aspect of affixes only serves to decrease variety of map play - either your build cannot handle the challenge and you shoot for easy affixes, or you can and you shoot for the more challenging alternative, and it's really more about a gearcheck calculation than any form of meaningful choice.

PS Please update the Dictionary thread.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 13, 2015, 9:20:30 PM
Game access being tied to RNG = the thing i hate the most about the game.

Bring back MoC and stop bothering with map drop rates.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
You need upgrades to play higher maps. To trade or craft for upgrades, you need currency. But, you also need currency to sustain your map pool.

If you don't have the best gear, then you can run some affixes, but not others. Or, perhaps some just plain aren't fun (ie: temp chains, for many players) and you consciously avoid them. That means you burn up more currency on your maps re-rolling to avoid whatever affixes your character can't handle (or to avoid a fun-killing affix like temp chains).

So, you use currency to gear up and you use currency to continue to progress. You use up more currency if you aren't well geared and less if you are. With the "currency candle" burning at both ends, it's relatively easy to make a few mistakes, have a bit of bad RNG, and then end up with your character essentially stuck wherever they are in their leveling path.

I don't know of any other game that does this to their players. Does anybody?
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
I cant believe so many players only wine and complain on everything GGG do. That sucks.
What do you exactly want? To run your easy highest tier maps magic with 20iq on them and sustaining map pool or even collecting them to get like hundreds of them just in case? You want in every easy mods 78 map to drop at least one 78 and few lower maps? Really?
You can now buy 3x78 maps for exalt and still the maps become slowly more and more cheap. They costed 3ex each like 1,5 year ago. Its NINE times cheaper, and cause its value still drop it means they are too easy to get.
You want that highest possible map cost 5c? So 76 maps will be like 1c and all lower will be not even worth wasting time picking it.

I just recentlly leveled to 100 playing solo, dying a bit too and i wasted like 1000+ 77-79 maps rolled by myself and i almost could sustain map pool (well i needed to sell often 70-76 maps bulk and buy some 78's), and i had bad overall RNG with cartos. Also i played some really hard maps as well and using sacr frags often. But it was ok to not spending much currency and play all the time 77-79 maps.
If you plan to race in new leagues to get top 10 you must be prepared for spending currency on maps if you want play 18h daily, 10x highest tier maps per hour, rolled with 2 easy magic mods on them, skipping bosses. Otherwise the price of maps will continue to drop and they become so trivial to get, that nobody will even care if maps even drop or not cause i can buy bunch of them, highest tier for almost free :)

I cant believe so many players only wine and complain on everything GGG do. That sucks.
What do you exactly want? To run your easy highest tier maps magic with 20iq on them and sustaining map pool or even collecting them to get like hundreds of them just in case? You want in every easy mods 78 map to drop at least one 78 and few lower maps? Really?
You can now buy 3x78 maps for exalt and still the maps become slowly more and more cheap. They costed 3ex each like 1,5 year ago. Its NINE times cheaper, and cause its value still drop it means they are too easy to get.
You want that highest possible map cost 5c? So 76 maps will be like 1c and all lower will be not even worth wasting time picking it.

I just recentlly leveled to 100 playing solo, dying a bit too and i wasted like 1000+ 77-79 maps rolled by myself and i almost could sustain map pool (well i needed to sell often 70-76 maps bulk and buy some 78's), and i had bad overall RNG with cartos. Also i played some really hard maps as well and using sacr frags often. But it was ok to not spending much currency and play all the time 77-79 maps.
If you plan to race in new leagues to get top 10 you must be prepared for spending currency on maps if you want play 18h daily, 10x highest tier maps per hour, rolled with 2 easy magic mods on them, skipping bosses. Otherwise the price of maps will continue to drop and they become so trivial to get, that nobody will even care if maps even drop or not cause i can buy bunch of them, highest tier for almost free :)

You just stated all that is WRONG with content access in PoE, yet said it in its defence.

Amazing.
Casually casual.

Where did i say its wrong? lol

Uhhm, you didn't!
Casually casual.

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Kingoko wrote:

Uhhm, you didn't!