Map Drops in The Awakening

"
grepman wrote:
what youre trying to do is to minimize variance. even then streaks will not disappear- they will simply become a bit less prominent. even then, a sample size of 10 maps of streaks is barely any

making 'randomness done on a per-drop basis' is not 'randomness' anymore.

I wasn't very clear on this. When I'm talking about the streakiness of the current rng code and reducing that I don't mean drop chance should in any way be adjusted based on previous drops or the like. I can't say for sure how the current system works but it seems likely each map has a random seed (or as GGG describes it when it comes to evasion - entropy) that affects how likely a new map is to drop whenever a drop is rolled, I've no idea what this random seed is taken from but there are the classic horror stories of system time being used in lesser games. Assuming the seed-per-map concept is correct that is a major culprit of the streakiness. If I play two different maps each drop should have the same chance of being a new map, not be five times higher in the second map because I got a lucky roll when I crafted/opened/originally had the map drop.
"
brunowa wrote:
Can the 10% loss in experience be reduced for deaths? This seriously kills me. HATE it so much it's not funny and completely turns me off the game from character level 80+ because experience takes so long.

you could consider to stop dying
ill stop playing poe when map drop rates suck again like in old times.

it has nothing to do with fun to grind the same lowmaps the whole day. its just boring!

and the new mechanic will just make people roll maps blue till they got twinned boss!

so whats the point. we have to decide if we want more loot or more maps? more maps means just

roll blue twinned maps?!

in 1.3 i have to play 150% corrupted fucking hard maps to play in upper map lvl region.

so isnt that challenge enough?

plz DONT CHANGE MAP DROP RATES.

thx CHRIS ;)
IGN: Elron
"
Malvan wrote:
As I understand it GGG is rewarding their noisy 5% hardcore players who have plenty of time playing the game whole days and on the otherside is punishing their 95% casual players not permitting them end game maps. How devestating this is and what a let down for solo players.
Bravo!

When I have holidays and play alot, alot meaning 14-17 hours a day "casualy" it´s 6 hours a day... which is still quite alot. I still cannot sustain even 74-76 maps already now, what about after nerf?... I don´t really think players with plenty of time are specially rewarded...
Last edited by NarraX1337 on Jun 11, 2015, 7:45:04 AM
"

When I have holidays and play alot, alot meaning 14-17 hours a day "casualy" it´s 6 hours a day... which is still quite alot. I still cannot sustain even 74-76 maps already now, what about after nerf?... I don´t really think players with plenty of time are specially rewarded...

Gotta agree, the map drops are already pretty ridiculous.
1st Hideout of the week: view-thread/1059888
Gears & Builds history: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1062423
This comment will probably get buried, but I really hope they make the bosses unable to drop lower level maps.

I'd rather see an equal or higher map drop from a boss every 5 runs, than see a map drop off of every boss... I do NOT want to see level 67 maps drop off of bosses.
So lower drops than already shit drops in live.
Only map bosses drop +2, so instead of pack/magic/rare, we'll be doing pack/magic/twinned with zero incentive to roll hard maps.

I rate this change a very solid 0/10.

Last edited by toyotatundra on Jun 12, 2015, 4:42:04 AM
"
twitticles wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
what youre trying to do is to minimize variance. even then streaks will not disappear- they will simply become a bit less prominent. even then, a sample size of 10 maps of streaks is barely any

making 'randomness done on a per-drop basis' is not 'randomness' anymore.

I wasn't very clear on this. When I'm talking about the streakiness of the current rng code and reducing that I don't mean drop chance should in any way be adjusted based on previous drops or the like. I can't say for sure how the current system works but it seems likely each map has a random seed (or as GGG describes it when it comes to evasion - entropy) that affects how likely a new map is to drop whenever a drop is rolled, I've no idea what this random seed is taken from but there are the classic horror stories of system time being used in lesser games. Assuming the seed-per-map concept is correct that is a major culprit of the streakiness. If I play two different maps each drop should have the same chance of being a new map, not be five times higher in the second map because I got a lucky roll when I crafted/opened/originally had the map drop.
thats all just pure assumptions though. that would also mean quality/quantity on map is pretty much meaningless.
"
"
Malvan wrote:
As I understand it GGG is rewarding their noisy 5% hardcore players who have plenty of time playing the game whole days and on the otherside is punishing their 95% casual players not permitting them end game maps. How devestating this is and what a let down for solo players.
Bravo!

on beta or live? if you cant sustain 74-76 maps on live...I dont want to say youre lying, but either that or youre getting VERY unlucky and likely arent investing enough currency to overcompensate for that lack of luck
"
elron wrote:

and the new mechanic will just make people roll maps blue till they got twinned boss!

so whats the point. we have to decide if we want more loot or more maps? more maps means just

roll blue twinned maps?!

how is it different from now with people running magic/pack size and run the maps blue ?

here's the deal, really.

majority of people on here want to run high level maps indefinitely, without paying for it, and not falling back to lower content

which is really conflicting with what GGG thinks map system should be.

first of all, there is nothing terrible about running some lower maps if you fall back from higher tier. why is it beneath peoples ego ? even cartman, stan kyle and kenny grinded boars for hours to level. when poker player loses a lot on higher stakes he steps down a tier until he can go back up.
yeah I get it 'Im too powerful for this map', but this is a frace since in poe you can get buy a 20/20 gem and some gear and you will be a killing machine at 60s already. ANYONE in poe is able to do white 78s as low as in their lower 60s provided a decent build and gear. that doesnt mean jack.

well if you are too powerful and you're bored spend some ducats and run some -max, vuln 100+ quantity maps. you will be under much more pressure and youd have a much better chance of going back to the level you were at.

here the second point kicks in. people dont want to spend drops/currency on maps. which is weird because everywhere else in the game you use currency/drops. want to run atziri- farm frags. want to master craft- farm alchs/chaos/alts. want to do high level craft- MF farm dominus until youre puking

like Ive said, in open beta, people spent exalts on maps. maps were designed to be a currency sink and provide a currency/experience tradeoff. I am 99% sure, if zana sold high level maps at higher than the market price (ie, 75 chaos for a 77 map), NO ONE (besides SSF crew) would buy the map. why ? because it would be cheaper to buy it off someone else.

so lets recap. people want to be able to sustain high level maps, people dont want to tradeoff a lot of currency for exp, and also dont want to fall back to lower level.

its a familiar situation. people loves RNG when they win but hate when they lose. everyone wants to win, but no one wants to lose. everyone wanna go to heaven but nobody wants to die. everyone wants to have their cake (exp) and eat it too (keep good currency and end up with no negative loss)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info