Map Drops in The Awakening

"
grepman wrote:
The "+2 map might be too dangerous" statement is honestly pretty much false given what maps are. A plus two white map will always be easier than a minus two map with minus max, lmp, vuln, etc

With that said, a lot of people still don't seem to understand why maps have to be gated. From logical perspective, of course, not from the "girls just wanna have fun" one. It's precisely because highest level map ran white will be easier than a hard 66 map, yet there's no reason to run a hard 66 over an easy 78 ever, unless you're havoc and are trying to go from 99 to 100. If maps aren't gated, there is zero point of map system besides the very highest level.

There is no, I repeat No way to not gate maps with the current assumptions about maps being a full fledged item in poe sense. Meaning, it can be ran normal/magic/rare and traded

Did you just explain that a shitty map system has to exist so that a shitty map system can exist?

Dafuq?
Casually casual.

+2 maps too dangerous lol what a joke
IGN: Pockey
Last edited by Pockey on Jun 9, 2015, 3:19:09 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
The "+2 map might be too dangerous" statement is honestly pretty much false given what maps are. A plus two white map will always be easier than a minus two map with minus max, lmp, vuln, etc

With that said, a lot of people still don't seem to understand why maps have to be gated. From logical perspective, of course, not from the "girls just wanna have fun" one. It's precisely because highest level map ran white will be easier than a hard 66 map, yet there's no reason to run a hard 66 over an easy 78 ever, unless you're havoc and are trying to go from 99 to 100. If maps aren't gated, there is zero point of map system besides the very highest level.

There is no, I repeat No way to not gate maps with the current assumptions about maps being a full fledged item in poe sense. Meaning, it can be ran normal/magic/rare and traded

Did you just explain that a shitty map system has to exist so that a shitty map system can exist?

Dafuq?
no I explained why if we assume maps are an item like any other (as they currently are), they have to be gated.

Might come as news to some, but in order to make a logical statement you have to honor assumptions that hold true.

One can't simply go and say well change the whole system as they want, because they "wanna". This ain't kindergarten, son.
I like the part about making bosses more rewarding but I don't like reducing the drop rates of maps in general, I feel the opposite needs to occur. Currently it is too rng based whether or not you get higher level maps. I like the idea of getting a +1 map if you clear the entire map. I also think bosses should have a high drop rate (ie 50% or more) of +2 maps. Going through extended dry periods of no maps is imo the worst aspect of POE right now. Gating players from doing higher level maps should be from the difficulty of the map content and mods, not based on RNG.
Last edited by Xtrane6 on Jun 9, 2015, 3:48:32 PM
"
Xtrane6 wrote:
I like the part about making bosses more rewarding but I don't like reducing the drop rates of maps in general, I feel the opposite needs to occur. Currently it is too rng based whether or not you get higher level maps. I like the idea of getting a +1 map if you clear the entire map. I also think bosses should have a high drop rate (ie 50% or more) of +2 maps. Going through extended dry periods of no maps is imo the worst aspect of POE right now. Gating players from doing higher level maps should be from the difficulty of the map mods, not based on RNG.
how is this possible when running white 78 courtyard is always strictly better than running a super rippy 74 residence? 78 carto box possibility alone is a big enough reason to never do maps lower than 78 if you can have access to all the maps.
I mostly play self found, casually, and I have been playing since the first closed beta. It takes a long time to get a character to higher level like this, especially if you don't find good loot. But over time I have gotten two or three characters running level 73-75 maps. I have a small map pool built up that I BARELY maintain by running no less than 50% increased quantity on maps, but many 100+ IIQ.

I already know that if the difficulty of all of the easier boss fights is substantially increased, I will not be fighting them unless I have just leveled. The xp loss for death is so extreme that if they are anything like the bosses I already avoid, I probably won't attempt to fight them at all. End result, good bye map sustainability...or good bye leveling of my character. I will have to choose, because I can't do both with the loot drops I have gotten up to this point.

Having bosses be the only way to get +2 level map drops would be a great idea, if you didn't mess up your own great idea by making the bosses harder so we want to avoid them. That just doesn't make much sense to me.

Alternate idea:

1. Allow Bosses, Rogue Exiles and Cartographer Boxes to have +2 maps. Make Rogue Exile mod on boxes a bit more rare.

2. Slightly nerf the bosses that most players avoid like the plague, or move them up into the appropriate level maps. Why are they even there if they are so tough that people can't beat them? There are several that few players ever fight. Leave the impossible bosses for true endgame maps...80+.

3. Slightly increase the difficulty of the easier boss fights that players run all the time.

What do these three items accomplish? Players start trying to kill the bosses that were previously always avoided. Players keep killing the bosses that they always killed, but with a little more difficulty (which we all know is what you guys like). With the rare Cartographer box and Rogue Exile as other options, players won't be forced to only kill bosses for +2 maps.

TLDR;

If you want to make us fight your bosses, don't make them all so hard that we don't want to fight them. If you want to make it hard to sustain our map pool and thus prevent us from trying to reach end game, then, well...do that I guess. But there's a good chance you start having players leave. I don't want to, but I also want to have fun when I play a game.

Challenging = Good
Mercilessly Punishing = Bad
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...
"
grepman wrote:
"
Xtrane6 wrote:
I like the part about making bosses more rewarding but I don't like reducing the drop rates of maps in general, I feel the opposite needs to occur. Currently it is too rng based whether or not you get higher level maps. I like the idea of getting a +1 map if you clear the entire map. I also think bosses should have a high drop rate (ie 50% or more) of +2 maps. Going through extended dry periods of no maps is imo the worst aspect of POE right now. Gating players from doing higher level maps should be from the difficulty of the map mods, not based on RNG.
how is this possible when running white 78 courtyard is always strictly better than running a super rippy 74 residence? 78 carto box possibility alone is a big enough reason to never do maps lower than 78 if you can have access to all the maps.

I edited my post to refer to the map content as well as the mods.
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing. They can cause players to get out of their depth - playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have.

Then let the difficulty be the gate, not currency and map seed RNG.

A gate you can freely open and difficulty, content, challenge you can access if you want, dare.

Agree..
Please stop trying to force onto players how you guys want us to play your game. This is exactly why d3 was garbage from the beginning. You guys should know better than this. Afterall this is why you started PoE right?
"The launch day went quite well with just a few small hotfixes to address minor problems."

Heist League - GGG
Last edited by nononononono on Jun 9, 2015, 4:27:52 PM
Sounds awesome! Map drops on beta were pretty bad lol
Go AB's

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info