So, explain this to me...

"
"
Claiohm1708 wrote:
Personally, I would prefer if they just changed the quality bonus on auras to be "reduce mana reserve of this aura" instead of %AoE. Gives more reason for the average player to have quality auras, removes the need for reduced mana (the change to reduced mana gem itself is fine), AND it still requires more effort to run those auras, but does leave it within the realm of possible for a player.

I agree with this approach.

That was off the cuff. In thinking about it, that would probably be WAY too strong for a quality property. Maybe if the end result was 5%, so basically the equivalent of an aura reserve reduction node. So maybe something like a .25% per Q
If you consider your random 60% aura that goes down to 50% in beta, then you would need 15% reduced reservation for that hypothetic quality to get a final reservation equivalent to what we currently have with lvl 20 RM:

0.6 * 0.71 = 0.426
0.5 * 0.85 = 0.425
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
not give a shit about what gets destroyed and just say "oh its fine dont worry". That is no way to develop a game, that does not inspire any confidence in me for this games future when I see it becoming worse in front of my eyes and the devs dont give a shit, dont even mean to step on what theyre stepping on but just dont care, dont really understand what theyre breaking, dont care to understand, see it all as irrelevant. Change is change, something was going to get broken if we made changes so whatever gets broken gets broken.

Assuming they are balancing the game around temporary leagues - would it still be a problem?
I dont believe GGG would do that. I believe auras would become unplayable in the new version. Which is why I m selling all my enlighten for easy money and nobody believes me. Flipping time!
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
reduce options, reduce build diversity

So, if before you were running hatred + determination (was it determination or grace? ) always on that kind of build and now you have to choose whether to run hatred or determination or spend passive points and still be running hatred + determination - seems like more options and diversity to me.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
he would rather change how energy shield works in order to make the new eb work than change the new eb...

To be fair, ES in general desperately needed this change. Its "mitigation" mechanic is grossly outdated on live right now.

"
almostdead wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
reduce options, reduce build diversity

So, if before you were running hatred + determination (was it determination or grace? ) always on that kind of build and now you have to choose whether to run hatred or determination or spend passive points and still be running hatred + determination - seems like more options and diversity to me.

no, cause the result isnt that I run either or, its that I dont see those builds as viable at all and would never run them unless Im on standard with my enlighten gems. Reave, cleave, dual strike, double strike, flicker strike... any build that would run on mana leech, I would never play them without a proper defensive and offensive aura, ever. In a league situation you are already on the verge in terms of survivability and damage, neither side can afford to be hit that hard. How many ladder pushers and legit pro hardcore players you see playing mana leech melee builds? Why? They have serious doubts about their damage and survivability without having absolutely ridiculous gear levels. Etup is about the only guy that gets stuck in and his reasoning is that hes bored of spell builds, he can get ridiculous gear levels and that just about makes it something worth doing with the current aura situation.

I would run grace, every time, but some people would run determination. Grace cannot be replaced by fortify or this other stuff they have put in. They added fortify, lockstep, took out shotgunning... take away grace and the end result is that I dont see them as being builds I would play, at all. To me its a nerf that far outweighs the buffs made to melee, to the point of me seeing melee outside of bloodmagic gem builds like cyclone as completely dead to me in a league or self found situation.

Im a massive melee fan, I have a ton of melee builds, I have played at least 1 mana leech melee build in every league I have ever played in. I love melee, this is meant to be the big path of melee patch and Im looking at whats on beta right now and my opinion is that I will never play melee again in a league if these changes go through. Its only cyclone now, thats a bm gem skill so you dont need mana, cyclone is fine, i have enough cyclone chars already Im not gonna roll cyclone in a league. Will I continue to play melee? Yeah sure, in standard league, where proper build diversity will still exist for rich people like me.

Of course if you play shit builds that run around with hatred + hoa, dont run grace, die all the time and then bitch about how broken melee is you can still do that, thats still going to be a thing but Im afraid I dont play shit builds and dont count their existence as diversity.
"
What's the point of replacing RM with enlighten?

"
Rory wrote:
These are the intended results of the change:
As they no longer work with Reduced Mana, we can make reservation costs less mana intensive for characters that previously wouldn't have access to Reduced Mana, and reduce socket pressure for players that previously would have needed a Reduced Mana support to reach the same reservation levels.
Enlighten becomes a much more desirable support. It now gives an option for end-game builds that are willing to give up sockets to reduce reservation, without the support being so impactful that every build that uses auras feels that it's absolutely necessary.
Reduced Mana can have much higher values than previously, making it a better choice for reducing skill mana costs.

It's worth noting that a very high level Enlighten gem can reduce aura reservation costs to the point of the old Reduced Mana support and below, and that aura reservation costs are now often lower than otherwise possible until player level 45. We're also planning to increase the power of Mana passives in the tree that will give mana constrained builds more access to larger total mana pools.

I'm honestly not sure what GGG is thinking here. It doesn't actually free up a gem slot if you want to stay competitive (because you know the "best" builds are going to be rolling with a high level Enlighten), it weakens many aura-based builds that were far from op to begin with, it's not as big a deal for softcore physical damage builds but it's a large investment for many non-Blood Magic hardcore melee builds to take both a defensive aura and Hatred... It creates a late game money/time sink while weakening builds during leveling. Sounds awful considering the increased monster damage, no Inner Force, leech changes (well, shouldn't be a problem for phys builds), limited mana and no AA changes so far, necessity of Fortify...

I know we have at least a month left, but right now I'm really scratching my head between Reduced Mana + Enlighten, caster defenses, and Fortify (why not make that intrinsic to melee attacks instead of adding a gem that basically replaces CwDT + EC? at least the gem, when linked to Leap Slam, can be used by close-range or strength-focused casters/bow rangers). I also feel for elemental attack builds that can't easily get leech on gear or any leech rate on the new tree.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on May 28, 2015, 12:24:18 PM
TL;DR
Adapt, exile. Everything is but an illusion. Besides, the game is free to play. You have every right to leave.

To the OP:
Spoiler
Encourage more diverse use of gems. Having the same setup of auras in EVERY build is unhealthy for diversity. They're giving some early power to newer players, while still having the late game power most time-invested players have. So instead of mana starving rangers trying to run hatred, those rangers can acquire a herald and be able to run that too.

Currently Hatred is 60% and Heralds 25%. That's 85%. Currently, in the beta (subject to change), Hatred is 50% and Heralds still 25%. That's 10% mana that can be used now, and breathing room to allow mana leech to apply. Think of it almost like quality of life.

Comment on Quality of Auras
Spoiler
There is a very good reason why auras have their quality as % radius. Chris mentioned he had it like that for said reason. I think he mentions it somewhere in his dev manifestos.

Comment on PoE changes
Spoiler
As for the change, it doesn't 'wreck' anything. Path of Exile is an ever changing environment. We exiles must commit to changes, and that's what gamers do. We adapt. If the change makes it through, some pros will have figured out a theory crafted build that only requires a level 2 Enlighten. Alpha's Howl won't become much of a requirement anymore. Sure, the compensation for reducing aura reservation isn't much, but it's a step.

Comment on Mana reservations
Spoiler
Previously, mana reservation was balanced around the reduced mana gem. Before the % reservations, they used to be flat amounts. I was around for the flat amounts, and playing a build with 8 auras was a little ridiculous. This is a welcome change to free gem slots, ESPECIALLY for a summoner. It can mean we can run a golem for fun. Who doesn't want more minions? Or run that faster casting animate weapon. Maybe eve hold an animate guardian with a Dying Breath Staff (I could even use that Haku Mod)

Comment on PoE's Build Diversity
Spoiler
Also, as some may have mentioned. GGG wants 'Build diversity'. If you've played League of Legends and been keeping up with their 'Strategic Diversity', then you know these two topics are one and the same. GGG is trying to expand player choice, and what have you seen so far?

A) Acquire one skill
B) Apply AoE supports if required
C) Acquire secondary single target, apply supports
D) Apply shitload of auras
E) DPS down Atziri
F) ???
G*) Profit.

*Ending in G not intentional

I myself personally think this could open up a third skill, the need to WEAPON SWAP, or use an ability that you couldn't use with mana. Who knows? Elemental Equilibrium might become a thing again, asides from being used with righteous fire.

If you would like a more in-depth explanation, I'll try my best to help. I'm still fiddling in the beta with other things.
Unique Map Making~

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1174961

I like music. Do you like music? Cause I sure as hell like a lot of random music.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Of course if you play shit builds that run around with hatred + hoa, dont run grace, die all the time and then bitch about how broken melee is you can still do that, thats still going to be a thing but Im afraid I dont play shit builds and dont count their existence as diversity.
Hey, I don't die all the time. And I switched Hatred for Haste, because most of the people I play with already use Hatred for extra DPS. See, I'm such a team player. Shit build though. :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info