Can you add lockstep into normal servers please?

"
k1rage wrote:
they are adding lockstep to the the live servers just as soon as they are done testing it

Incorrect. Its going in when 2.0 goes live.

Quote lifted from this very thread..

"
Qarl wrote:
"
Bechtol449 wrote:
I don't care about the beta really but I want to play with lockstep. Are they adding it into the normal servers before the beta is over?

No, it will be deployed with all the other Awakening changes. Deterministic Lockstep really has involved a major rewrite and restructure of a lot of Path of Exile, so I doubt we could deploy it early even if we wanted to.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on May 22, 2015, 1:46:52 PM
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Bechtol449 wrote:
I don't care about the beta really but I want to play with lockstep. Are they adding it into the normal servers before the beta is over?

No, it will be deployed with all the other Awakening changes. Deterministic Lockstep really has involved a major rewrite and restructure of a lot of Path of Exile, so I doubt we could deploy it early even if we wanted to.

The question that i have is,why was all this needed?
Even now as i play on 1month league and know for a fact that there always was a better way to handle this,i am still baffled.
How many online hack and slash games there were,none of them used as messed up system as this syncing one.
How many hardcore players RIP'd on stuff they never even saw coming.
In a game where 1shot is a very real possibility the last thing in the whole known universe you want is for player to die for any other reason than his own misjudgement or lack of experience.
I had 2 months break,came back on 1month league and finally got the halls of grandmasters map,and it was a nightmare,i ended up RIPing 4 times to a random melee character mob...thing that killed me from...according to my screen half the screen's worth of distance away from me...as a melee,i just alt+F4d and left the last portal there,now granted i'll keep playing,but how many players aren't anymore simply because not only the game it self is difficult,but it makes it even more so as a result of desyncing.
Why was lockstep not in place from the getgo? or was not sewn in much sooner?
3 years of constant desyncing and only now you lot acknowledge that whatever mystical perks the sync system had did not outweigh the faults?!
I did hear a rumor that the syncing was chosen as a method for handling the tracking to avoid cheaters with bots and whatnot,but they still exist,and the solving of the problem was extreme to say the least.
No rest for the wicked.
You are asking a balance dev. You can blame him for rips caused by damage tables and his belief in "balance curves"

They wanted to prevent speed/warphacks, that's why they used their current system.
The games you are mentioning are all vulnerable to speedhacks sure they added a handler to check for large leaps but there is a small window which will always be hackable.
The earliest game had such blatant speedhacks you could warp through the entire map within 1 second.

They didn't trust RTS/MOBA synching at first glance.
"
Hilbert wrote:
You are asking a balance dev. You can blame him for rips caused by damage tables and his belief in "balance curves"

They wanted to prevent speed/warphacks, that's why they used their current system.
The games you are mentioning are all vulnerable to speedhacks sure they added a handler to check for large leaps but there is a small window which will always be hackable.
The earliest game had such blatant speedhacks you could warp through the entire map within 1 second.

They didn't trust RTS/MOBA synching at first glance.

The question was never addressed to him specifically.
Also,you will always have cheaters.
Now granted,going as far back to the stone age as DII would be bad,but this syncing is like DRM systems on games,it's a system that is supposed to do good,but inherently punishes the legit players more so than helps them.
The market is already (supposedly,nobody actually have sheer statistical numbers) saturated with RMT,if that's true,the only thing that can come out of using anything but the current system is that people with hacks will saturate the game with t1 items to a point where someone who would normally RMT to get his stuff,won't do it anymore.
What really bugs me is that it took them years to realize that the current system is beyond atrocious.
In this day and age where we have anywhere between 1mb up to several gigabyte sized pipelines available to people,you'd think that we are past the day and age of lagg,because that is what the current system does - it constantly laggs you out no matter what.
I once ran across half a map only to hit my OoS and get ported back to the start of the map cuz my character was stuck behind a tiny rock and the server refused to acknowledge it,all that while holding modest 40-60ms average.
No rest for the wicked.
Complaining won't make it come faster so just chill.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
amazing that people still dont understand what is a beta and refuse to read news in full, then get mad for no good reason.

Just amazing. The reason why being a politician/con artist is profitable.
Oblivious
"
Daiena wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Bechtol449 wrote:

The question that i have is,why was all this needed?
Even now as i play on 1month league and know for a fact that there always was a better way to handle this,i am still baffled.
How many online hack and slash games there were,none of them used as messed up system as this syncing one.
How many hardcore players RIP'd on stuff they never even saw coming.
In a game where 1shot is a very real possibility the last thing in the whole known universe you want is for player to die for any other reason than his own misjudgement or lack of experience.
I had 2 months break,came back on 1month league and finally got the halls of grandmasters map,and it was a nightmare,i ended up RIPing 4 times to a random melee character mob...thing that killed me from...according to my screen half the screen's worth of distance away from me...as a melee,i just alt+F4d and left the last portal there,now granted i'll keep playing,but how many players aren't anymore simply because not only the game it self is difficult,but it makes it even more so as a result of desyncing.
Why was lockstep not in place from the getgo? or was not sewn in much sooner?
3 years of constant desyncing and only now you lot acknowledge that whatever mystical perks the sync system had did not outweigh the faults?!
I did hear a rumor that the syncing was chosen as a method for handling the tracking to avoid cheaters with bots and whatnot,but they still exist,and the solving of the problem was extreme to say the least.

It really looks like you are looking for your pound of flesh for something that is on the verge of being a non-factor for a large part of the community. Hell, my latency w/ new servers is next to nil (Less than 20ms) and I had little issue with the Texas server. My experience in beta is flawless.

Even if they did bother to answer you (they shouldn't just for the record), what would you do with it? What if that post accepted full responsibility and apologized for being wrong (also for the record: they were not, heart was/is in the right place -- just took time to find the way to get here)? If they did make that public response, seriously...what would you do with it? Would you print out 1000's of copies of that post and bath in it while singing your favorite "80's Victory Song"?

This is like the "Fix Desync" threads figurative brother that spent too much time huffing paint: "Why Didn't You Fix Desync Faster?". Also, they didn't fix desync -- they provided an alternate solution that is highly effective over low latency connections. Predictive will still (and always will) have desync. It is quite simply not possible to have that approach and not be slightly out of sync always. Even if you were microns away from the server, you would still be slightly out of sync.

All that pent up anger over something that is soon to be a thing of the past isn't healthy.

Let it go.

"Peace begins with me."
lol people can't wait few weeks ? seriously ?
IGN TylordRampage
I am not talking about D2. D2 limited warping and speedadjustments from the beginning.

I am talking about stuff like Ultima Online.
 GGGs "action prediction" server/client model turned out to be a guess prediction model at best and with so many variables being computed in real time GGG found out the hard way that while keeping everything server side made for a nice and tidy (mostly hack free) client the thinking that the server could in any way, shape, or form accurately predict what we are doing client side was a catastrophic failure. The fact that GGG had already invested so much coding time trying to make it work meant that after finally conceding that it must be replaced with a netcode that others (D3, TL2, Grim Dawn, etc.) were using to great success meant that more years of coding was required to get out of the corner they had painted coded themselves into.

So yes, we all can armchair this and post that GGG should have rolled out D.L. with PoE 1.0 I am just very happy knowing that soon my 40 to 55 ms latency to Dallas will mean that D.L. should put "PoE: The Desync Nightmare Years" behind us and we can have the QoP we desire (and deserve after all we've endured). With PoE 2.0 we should be able to focus on more offensive builds and less on tanks to compensate for being blind-sighted with high damage from desync. With a working (debugged) D.L. now if we die it should be our fault (Internet lag notwithstanding). Hurray for no mode desync death rage posts.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on May 23, 2015, 3:59:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info