Can you add lockstep into normal servers please?

"
buhdunkadunk wrote:
It's still a player choice .... so why not give us the choice now ?

Even with a few bugs I'm going to guess 90%++ of your player base would go with lockstep to get away from the horrid desync lately. I had one guy on mumble say, "I think they increased whatever causes desync in the live realm so that when you jump on beta it feels 100 times better".

To those with beta access it feels like GGG is dangling a carrot on a stick right now, and they're the donkeys. To those without beta access it feels like elitism at it's finest where those with beta access have a nice new shiny engine and the rest are left with a polished turd.

Because it's not finished; testing new things like this are what alpha and beta realms are for.

Desynch has been about normal for me lately.

Beta access was / is a player choice; if you don't wish to test the new content, don't play. If you can't stand the thought of all of your characters and items being wiped periodically and at the end of the beta test, don't play. I'm sorry, I don't get the "carrot on a stick" analogy; GGG has been very clear as to what's involved in being a beta tester.

Ditto for we non-participants in the beta. This feels nothing like elitism to me; the "nice new shiny engine" you refer to is currently in its testing phase, and all of the beta testers will start at zero - just like we non-participants - when The Awakening goes live. Will they have some advantage from having played through the content before? Sure, over a very short term, but the information flow has been such that I feel pretty confident that I would be up to speed in the matter of a few days...and I'm far from being the best player out there.

And Path of Exile is, in my opinion, one of the finest ARPGs ever created, with unparalleled content updates and developer interaction....and it's free to play. "Polished turd" seems rather harsh IMO.
"Experience is the best teacher,but there's only one seat in his classroom."
Play with honour and show some class - www.theAmazonBasin.com
Zarabeth - Level 89 Ranger
Wicked Wanda - Level 87 Witch
Xarabeth - Level 79 Scion
Last edited by OldeSchool on May 22, 2015, 7:52:05 AM
"
OldeSchool wrote:
"
buhdunkadunk wrote:

Even with a few bugs I'm going to guess 90%++ of your player base would go with lockstep to get away from the horrid desync lately. I had one guy on mumble say, "I think they increased whatever causes desync in the live realm so that when you jump on beta it feels 100 times better".

To those with beta access it feels like GGG is dangling a carrot on a stick right now, and they're the donkeys. To those without beta access it feels like elitism at it's finest where those with beta access have a nice new shiny engine and the rest are left with a polished turd.

Because it's not finished; testing new things like this are what alpha and beta realms are for.

Desynch has been about normal for me lately.

Beta access was / is a player choice; if you don't wish to test the new content, don't play. If you can't stand the thought of all of your characters and items being wiped periodically and at the end of the beta test, don't play. I'm sorry, I don't get the "carrot on a stick" analogy; GGG has been very clear as to what's involved in being a beta tester.

Ditto for we non-participants in the beta. This feels nothing like elitism to me; the "nice new shiny engine" you refer to is currently in its testing phase, and all of the beta testers will start at zero - just like we non-participants - when The Awakening goes live. Will they have some advantage from having played through the content before? Sure, over a very short term, but the information flow has been such that I feel pretty confident that I would be up to speed in the matter of a few days...and I'm far from being the best player out there.

And Path of Exile is, in my opinion, one of the finest ARPGs ever created, with unparalleled content updates and developer interaction....and it's free to play. "Polished turd" seems rather harsh IMO.

Damn you and your sensical reply... I want lockstep now and not in 2-3 months, Bugs and all!

It is that awesome, it's at least 10 times better, which when you compare the 2 modes; lockstep does make the predictive engine look like a "Polished turd", not harsh at all when making the comparison. It actually might not be harsh enough ;)
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
After what happened the other day with the ridiculous claw I dont think they want to risk any instance crash/roll back bugs. And thats besides the fact its an insane rewrite of code.
"
buhdunkadunk wrote:

Damn you and your sensical reply... I want lockstep now and not in 2-3 months, Bugs and all!

It is that awesome, it's at least 10 times better, which when you compare the 2 modes; lockstep does make the predictive engine look like a "Polished turd", not harsh at all when making the comparison. It actually might not be harsh enough ;)

I LOLed at the first part of that; thanks.

I always consider how many thousands of hours went into making that "polished turd"; even if I occasionally shoot at monsters that aren't there, or wind up two corridors over from where I just was, in the big picture it's not such a big deal. Better days are coming....and yes, it's tough to wait.

BTW, do a search on "polished turd Mythbusters" - you might be surprised.

Have fun !
"Experience is the best teacher,but there's only one seat in his classroom."
Play with honour and show some class - www.theAmazonBasin.com
Zarabeth - Level 89 Ranger
Wicked Wanda - Level 87 Witch
Xarabeth - Level 79 Scion
"
OldeSchool wrote:
"
buhdunkadunk wrote:

I LOLed at the first part of that; thanks.

I always consider how many thousands of hours went into making that "polished turd"; even if I occasionally shoot at monsters that aren't there, or wind up two corridors over from where I just was, in the big picture it's not such a big deal. Better days are coming....and yes, it's tough to wait.

BTW, do a search on "polished turd Mythbusters" - you might be surprised.

Have fun !

hahaha I watched. The analogy I used for the predictive engine is very fitting now.... you can polish a turd and make it shine. Still a turd though.

echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
"
buhdunkadunk wrote:

Elitism? C'Mon man give it a rest.
The beta realm is a testing ground not a new toy that people can wave in your face.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
how dare you call poe "polished turd" !?

Spoiler
"
kappa
Last edited by Tom1989 on May 22, 2015, 12:14:27 PM
"
Bechtol449 wrote:
I don't care about the beta really but I want to play with lockstep. Are they adding it into the normal servers before the beta is over?

The reason is simply money and they prolly don't have a subversion of regular Path of Exile on their SVN meaning they would have to comment out everything that's beta related which might take a day if you do proper flawless work. If the code is messy it might take even longer.

But again people will buy less Beta Packs.
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Bechtol449 wrote:
I don't care about the beta really but I want to play with lockstep. Are they adding it into the normal servers before the beta is over?

No, it will be deployed with all the other Awakening changes. Deterministic Lockstep really has involved a major rewrite and restructure of a lot of Path of Exile, so I doubt we could deploy it early even if we wanted to.

Makes sense, I was just hoping to get playing again before July. Oh well i'll just look forward to July!
they are adding lockstep to the the live servers just as soon as they are done testing it
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info