New Server Locations for The Awakening Beta

The update deleted my character from the EU server ...
Frankfurt and London? Those are like right next to Amsterdam. Why not somewhere with more meaningful spread like Stockholm and Vienna?

Played 45mins and crashed 3 times. ( changed on Frankfurt ) GG .
IGN: DRUNKENSTYLEbOb
cool, looking forward to use the server in frankfurt!
"
rastaman2015 wrote:
The update deleted my character from the EU server ...

There was a recent wipe, if you haven't played since then.
"
Zed_ wrote:
Frankfurt and London? Those are like right next to Amsterdam. Why not somewhere with more meaningful spread like Stockholm and Vienna?

Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London and Paris are the only available Data centers in Europe (as far as SoftLayer is concerned) - that's why.
Crit happens.
I am wondering what is the reasoning behind choice of European server locations. Wouldn't it make more sense to spread them out? Is the money really being spent best in this way - by having 3 servers in almost the same location?

Being curious what is the difference between connecting to Amsterdam or Frankfurt for a person living in Germany or between London or Amsterdam for person living in UK (maybe someone could test)?

From my location (Latvia) Amsterdam and Frankfurt servers both have 50 ms latency and 63ms to London.
"
Zed_ wrote:

when it comes to network distances, the physical distance is less important than the actual exchange points between your provider and the provider of the company which service you want to use.

frankfurt is the city in germany having the biggest concentration of high tier network carriers in europe (even before amsterdam).
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on May 21, 2015, 6:27:12 AM
Thx alot for the new servers!!!

Ping is good right now ( 10 am in Germany) and Lockstep feels good, lets wait and hope that it stays this way for Primetime.
Yesterday I'd disabled lockstep because while my average ping to the Dallas servers was 38-45, the spikes to 200-300 were frequent enough to make lockstep feel bad.

Today I logged in to find a new DC gateway. I live less than 2 hours from DC, and my latency is averaging between 7 and 12 ms. Dat shit cra'y. Lockstep reenabled and it feels pretty damned good.

My ISP isn't great so there are still occasional lag spikes, but because the server is so close, the spikes are much smaller and don't have nearly the drastic pause-then-speed-up effect as yesterday.

Good stuff, GGG.
https://redd.it/p0hyul

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info