Opinions needed

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The really cool aspect of PoE here is that every "currency" item has a use as well. They do stuff to the items. Traders use them as currency, but solo players can still use them to modify items or purchase items from the NPCs.

Really high end players use a whole lot of currency to make really really good (too good) items for trade or what is called "mirroring" which is an endorsed method of duping an item within the game.

You'll likely never get to that level... it takes a huge investment of time and real work.

Orbs as currency is like a coin that has a good side and a bad side. Rare orbs are used as currency for trading and rarely for their orb function. some orbs have a great purpose such as for example:

Regal Orb = upgrades a magic item to a rare item.

This would be great to be able to upgrade the tons of blues (magic) that drop to yellows (rares) but since GGG sets the Regal Orb drop rate so super low that you never ever have very many so the currency value of it significantly outweighs its orb usage value and thus we never or rarely upgrade magic items directly to rare. Many other orbs have a similar problem in that drop rates are so low that you can't acquire enough to be of significant use.

And of course we all have the problem of completing the 3 full playthroughs and then do map runs for xp and more orbs and gear. Problem here is that:

1. This is all that PoE currently has to offer (daily Masters missions do very little to add variety).
2. Crafting doesn't work on most gear and not at all on unique items.
3. Most unique drops are low level and not usable in endgame builds.
4. Mountains of white/blue trash and nary a better item after level 75 or so.
   (I guess GGG wants us all to waste all our orbs on trading or RNG gambling).
5. Map bosses are all over the place difficulty wise. Many are pushovers for most builds,
   others are fricken one shot death traps that you have to learn about the hard way.
   A few end map bosses are a fun challenge to defeat without the threat of being one-shotted.
   (Problem is that there aren't enough of these. Other problem is little documentation is available
    to tell us what is best way to gear for these bosses and rogues.)
6. Trading system is too time consuming to work well (I use my limited PoE time playing and not
    wasting it in the trade channels. PoE should not require us be commodity brokers).
7. "Crafting" is just a thinly veiled RNG gambling mechanism. PoE has no real crafting.

I've been playing since CB time and overlook a ton of play problems as the main focus on builds and theory crafting works extremely well. Also races are mostly good to add variety to the otherwise stale and repetitive mapping to get to high levels (I feel like a frick'n zombie playing map after map to generate xp). PoE 2.0 will bring a whole new re-balancing so we will all need to learn new builds that work best and many existing great builds will be trashed but that's to be expected.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
runscape>mighty Quest for lame loot>drakenseng>D3>PoE

Oh this is a PoE forum everyone is going to bias about PoE being the best!LEL except me :3
Last edited by choopk1993 on May 14, 2015, 1:18:10 AM
"
TheWretch wrote:
My opinion.

Grim Dawn= Sucky and slow.

Quite harsh for a game not done. GD is faster in terms of getting good loot than poe, but not nearly as in your face like d3. Plenty of builds clear content fast...no need to rely on rng for endgame mapping, there are many challenge zones you can grind endlessly. The draw imo is non-randomized maps aside from some minor layout variances.

PoE is very good but very grindy and unforgiving on rng. Requires significant time investment to get the most of out this game.
"
"
TheWretch wrote:
My opinion.

Grim Dawn= Sucky and slow.

Quite harsh for a game not done. GD is faster in terms of getting good loot than poe, but not nearly as in your face like d3. Plenty of builds clear content fast...no need to rely on rng for endgame mapping, there are many challenge zones you can grind endlessly. The draw imo is non-randomized maps aside from some minor layout variances.

PoE is very good but very grindy and unforgiving on rng. Requires significant time investment to get the most of out this game.

I've tried it many, many times. Every time I install it again and figure maybe this time's the one, I delete it, just not into it. It just really bores me.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I will hijack this thread for a similar question that I have (no need for a new thread imo). So I have never seriously gave PoE a chance even tho I played it in 2012. I've heard some interesting things about PoE from a friend and I wanna give it another serious try.

But I open the main page and I see this expansion coming out and closed betas and talk about 2.0...? So what I wish to know is if this is the right moment to start playing PoE (I have no idea what's being updated and how..).
For example, I have been playing a lot of Diablo 3 (don't judge, I don't wanna start any d3 vs PoE discussions. From what I see the forum has enough of those) and I don't want to start playing at the end of a "season" where people start a new character next week or so... I don't feel like making a character now and get really into it only to find out that I should make a new one soon or everything is about to change in a few days or so..

But I am really excited to try this game so waiting until July or something is not an option :).

Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to ask lol.
One very important thing if you want to try PoE : you have to try at least the higher levels of the game (merciless, mapping). But the first trip might be really reaaly hard. You'll certainly mess up your first character and you'll surely be ridiculized when you first enter in merciless...Anyway...

That's the beauty of it : if you endure your trip you'll be rewarded. If you give up mid travel : you'll miss one of the best ARPG experiences of your gamers live...
... nothing
"
choopk1993 wrote:

Oh this is a PoE forum everyone is going to bias about PoE being the best!LEL except me :3

Yes, because, although you apparently no longer play PoE, the BEST game is the PoE forum, right? Obvious troll is tiresome. =0[.]o=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
majinvegy wrote:
I will hijack this thread for a similar question that I have (no need for a new thread imo). So I have never seriously gave PoE a chance even tho I played it in 2012. I've heard some interesting things about PoE from a friend and I wanna give it another serious try.

But I open the main page and I see this expansion coming out and closed betas and talk about 2.0...? So what I wish to know is if this is the right moment to start playing PoE (I have no idea what's being updated and how..).
For example, I have been playing a lot of Diablo 3 (don't judge, I don't wanna start any d3 vs PoE discussions. From what I see the forum has enough of those) and I don't want to start playing at the end of a "season" where people start a new character next week or so... I don't feel like making a character now and get really into it only to find out that I should make a new one soon or everything is about to change in a few days or so..

But I am really excited to try this game so waiting until July or something is not an option :).

Hope you guys understand what I'm trying to ask lol.

You could hop into the Flashback league to re-familiarize yourself with the game mechanics, and then you'll be fully up to speed when 2.0 hits.

To the OP: To me, Path of Exile is the true successor to Diablo 2, but the incredible number of viable character builds takes it to an entirely different level. The biggest attraction to me was / is the art style: I simply did not like the cartoonish graphics of Diablo 3. Grim Dawn is very interesting looking, and it's on my list to play if/when PoE hits a major slump with new content / leagues, etc..

Take a look at the "Announcements" forum: a message from the developers just about every weekday. That in and of itself is quite remarkable, and it speaks to GGG's level of commitment in making this game the greatest of its genre.

I won't re-hash some of the great points already made, but if you'd like to look me up in-game for some more tips, please feel free. I'm not the greatest player out there by far, but I've died enough horrible, agonizing deaths to have learned a thing or three. Have fun!
"Experience is the best teacher,but there's only one seat in his classroom."
Play with honour and show some class - www.theAmazonBasin.com
Zarabeth - Level 89 Ranger
Wicked Wanda - Level 87 Witch
Xarabeth - Level 79 Scion
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
choopk1993 wrote:

Yes, because, although you apparently no longer play PoE, the BEST game is the PoE forum, right? Obvious troll is tiresome. =0[.]o=

Ye shall feed thy troll or they will dyeth out.
"
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
choopk1993 wrote:

Ye shall feed thy troll or they will dyeth out.

wb dirkaustin a cookie for u

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info