Aura Reservation and Reduced Mana Support Gem Change

im not ashamed to admit im currently struggling with the meta end game content difficulty running a viable defence along with a good damage output compared to anything iv ever encountered in the past in poe (played since launch) i think on this occassion the nerf may be too strong anything that seems to work well encounters a nerf sooner or later, although this time with other factors coming into play such as weak spells, weak defence an indirect nerf to auras is a step backwards, you can say yeah well you can have enlighten its the same thing basically, so whats the point? why not just be done with the reduced mana gem completely, we are yet to see how much the mana reservations will be reduced so it will be interesting to see how this works out im not feeling optimistic given GGG's track record or nerfing things (nothing seems to get better from a nerf). Along with bad decisions as a company towards its fans (ie the whole BETA hype, then timer, then selling access) im starting to think this game is not as great as it once was. just my opinion

"
AdzPoE wrote:
Spoiler

People here giving negative "feedback" on the change mostly aren't here to help by giving feedback. For the most part they are here to whine stamp their feet because something about their idea or build is busted due to a change.

A mild inconvenience causes them to take to the forums and suggest that they will quit the game because of this minor (probably for the better) change which many of them haven't even bothered to test out yet.

I'm suggesting they take a chill pill since it is a beta after all, so yeah.
Spoiler

feedback is feedback regardless if its negative or not, if all we did was tell them how such a great job they are doing regarding this change the game will eventually become something no one wants it to be which is the way its heading in my opinion, nothing to chill about no ones outside GGG's office with pitchforks (yet!) they are expressing criticism of something they disagree with which is their right just as much as it is yours to say you enjoy the change
Last edited by cosacee on May 8, 2015, 3:42:31 AM
Great, so we have the "what" of the change, now I'd like an in-depth "why" from the people responsible. What's the goal behind this change? Not just to torpedo aura stacking, but /why/ they feel it needs to be changed other than "getting rid of a mandatory gem."

Some of these things just don't add up, and the proposed change from RM –> Enlighten is one of them. Will Enlighten be more common to drop? Will the experience gain be shortened? Will the design team throw us a bone, or even further under the bus?

Time will tell...time will tell.
"
cosacee wrote:
im not ashamed to admit im currently struggling with the meta end game content difficulty running a viable defence along with a good damage output compared to anything iv ever encountered in the past in poe (played since launch) i think on this occassion the nerf may be too strong anything that seems to work well encounters a nerf sooner or later, although this time with other factors coming into play such as weak spells, weak defence an indirect nerf to auras is a step backwards, you can say yeah well you can have enlighten its the same thing basically, so whats the point? why not just be done with the reduced mana gem completely, we are yet to see how much the mana reservations will be reduced so it will be interesting to see how this works out im not feeling optimistic given GGG's track record or nerfing things (nothing seems to get better from a nerf). Along with bad decisions as a company towards its fans (ie the whole BETA hype, then timer, then selling access) im starting to think this game is not as great as it once was. just my opinion

"
AdzPoE wrote:
Spoiler

People here giving negative "feedback" on the change mostly aren't here to help by giving feedback. For the most part they are here to whine stamp their feet because something about their idea or build is busted due to a change.

A mild inconvenience causes them to take to the forums and suggest that they will quit the game because of this minor (probably for the better) change which many of them haven't even bothered to test out yet.

Spoiler

feedback is feedback regardless if its negative or not, if all we did was tell them how such a great job they are doing regarding this change the game will eventually become something no one wants it to be which is the way its heading in my opinion, nothing to chill about no ones outside GGG's office with pitchforks (yet!) they are expressing criticism of something they disagree with which is their right just as much as it is yours to say you enjoy the change

I'm not suggesting we tell GGG everything is great. I'm suggesting just a little patience on this matter. I really doubt any of the people complaining have done any testing or put any forward thought into this change. They just read the patch notes noticed a change they didn't like from the wording and complained about it with no evidence to suggest it was going to be a bad change. Be patient and chill out is my message.
Make Things For Smile!
"
bendemiclol wrote:
I don't see the big deal. Enhance, Empower and Enlighten are meant to be amazing. Empower is BIS for most builds that scale off gem level (PA, any spell, etc). I really don't understand all the crying from one single Development Manifesto post - reduced mana needed to be removed, any gem that mandates a slot for all characters is a bit broken IMO.

Calm your farms people!

In this game they do not desire for there to be a "best in slot". That was part of the reasoning for the "Fix". What they did, though, was not remove or create a BIS, but make the BIS artificially much more difficult to acquire and reduce the value of the alternative to very low levels. What is happening is the create demand from thin air and create a surplus of very low value items where they had previously been both common and relatively desirable under the guise of making the application of said gems more accessible to lower level characters and more builds while in reality there were few situations where one could not use it to effect and an unproven majority that would supposedly need it to progress. In finality, Reduced mana did not need to be removed, and was not mandated to be used if you had an aura.
Get laid, get paid, drink Gatorade.
"
AdzPoE wrote:

I'm not suggesting we tell GGG everything is great. I'm suggesting just a little patience on this matter.

THey need time to figure out the direction for this game! Not fine tunning or something.

Ive said before, the 10 year plan was a mistake.
They only care for new markets (asia, russia) instead of making PoE 2.
Last edited by wasabisamurai on May 8, 2015, 3:50:26 AM
"
AdzPoE wrote:
Spoiler

I'm not suggesting we tell GGG everything is great. I'm suggesting just a little patience on this matter. I really doubt any of the people complaining have done any testing or put any forward thought into this change. They just read the patch notes noticed a change they didn't like from the wording and complained about it with no evidence to suggest it was going to be a bad change. Be patient and chill out is my message.
Spoiler

dont get me wrong i do agree that we need to see how it works out, but lets hope they handle the situation delicately and understand the concerns we have as players and balance it carefully and are not too heavy with the nerf hammer :)
"
AdzPoE wrote:

The reasoning behind the change is flawed, we are pointing this out, ie giving feedback.

And your comment about a recipe!? Are you joking? They might as well increase the xp gain on Enlighten just to give in to this whine, would it make a difference? It would still be as mandatory as reduced mana. Nothing will change that fact...

Just delete reduced mana from the game or at least don't introduce the same gem again under a different name. Let reduced mana reserved be exlusive to passives and uniques if you trully want change.

"Axe bad! Fix please!"
"
"
ephetat wrote:
"
Rory wrote:
...we can make reservation costs less mana intensive for characters that previously wouldn't have access to Reduced Mana...

There are characters who don't have access to Reduced Mana?

I think what Rory meant was that a lot of Intelligence or Dex-based characters were forced to get Strength just to run RM.

But I do think it's ridiculous to point that out when the change is to replace RM with a drop-only gem that needs to be corrupted to Level 4 to be of significant value.

This is rediculous, int has by far the monopoly on high stat requirement gems, enfeeble/vuln requiring int, all heralds require int, anger a damn red gem has int requirements
Mark_GGG 2012
If you put on your full plate mail, and I throw hundreds of toothpicks at you, you'll basically not feel it.

If someone catapults a whole tree at you, don't expect the Armour to prevent as much of the damage.
"
sfangwb wrote:
One last thing; never ever balance around the top end potential.

Just because something has the capability of being overpowered if an insane amount of high-end gear is used, doesn't mean it needs to be nerfed. 99% of the players will never get there, so you're just pissing off 99% of your players to get at the 1% who can actually abuse the mechanics. This is not good design.

I just say this because I've noticed this seems to be a trend in balancing recently, and I really think it needs to be reconisidered.

And that is why PoE's playerbase is so low and mostly gathered around new temp leagues. I guess they are fine with that.

"
Strimlaren wrote:
"
AdzPoE wrote:

The reasoning behind the change is flawed, we are pointing this out, ie giving feedback.

And your comment about a recipe!? Are you joking? They might as well increase the xp gain on Enlighten just to give in to this whine, would it make a difference? It would still be as mandatory as reduced mana. Nothing will change that fact...

Just delete reduced mana from the game or at least don't introduce the same gem again under a different name. Let reduced mana reserved be exlusive to passives and uniques if you trully want change.

You don't make sense.

People are suggesting that enlighten cant be made a mandatory gem if it's not easily obtained where i'm literally suggesting that GGG could make it easily obtainable. Though it is now no longer mandatory to use reduced mana so id say its a job well done.
Make Things For Smile!
Last edited by AdzPoE on May 8, 2015, 4:20:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info