Closed Beta FAQ for Path of Exile: The Awakening

so much hypaaaa! :D
"
Josephoenix wrote:
"
Gary_GGG wrote:
"
KhelThuzad wrote:
I really like GGG insisting that anybody will get a chance to enter. But there MUST be some kind of pack that guarantees Beta entry. Else bots will get the beta codes with their thousands of alts and will sell them as was the case for early beta. Keys were sold for less that $5.

Can I sign up with multiple accounts to increase my chances of getting in?

No. Additional accounts will not be eligible. People trying to game the system will be removed. It's fine for multiple people in the same household to sign up as long as they are different people and have only one account each.

I believe the best way to solve any potential problems involving beta keys, is not to have them at all.

have the accounts that are granted access, be granted access... I know it sounds like I repeated myself, but rather than a key, just change the status of the account internally. For those potential "keys" that GGG plans on giving to websites etc. Just ask the website to e-mail them the account name that won and make the adjustment to the winners account.

The above solution, if feasible, would eliminate most problems involved with "keys", the only other issue I see would be selling the "account", that can nipped in the butt using GGG's existing location detection software (I think).

Why make it more complicated when its already so easy?

"
Gary_GGG wrote:
"
KhelThuzad wrote:
I really like GGG insisting that anybody will get a chance to enter. But there MUST be some kind of pack that guarantees Beta entry. Else bots will get the beta codes with their thousands of alts and will sell them as was the case for early beta. Keys were sold for less that $5.

Can I sign up with multiple accounts to increase my chances of getting in?

No. Additional accounts will not be eligible. People trying to game the system will be removed. It's fine for multiple people in the same household to sign up as long as they are different people and have only one account each.

And how do you distinguish 5 different people with 1 account each in a single household from 1 person with 5 accounts? That's right, you can't really do that.
http://i.imgur.com/8fqgfAh.png
I can't wait to play act 4!!!
"
Archwizard wrote:
This thread is just unreal. The myopia involved on the part of so many posters is just frustrating to read for me, and I'm not even a part of GGG.

Testing is good.

GGG has released crazy unbalanced stuff in the past (invasion bosses when that league started anyone?) and gotten flamed (sometimes rightly so) for not having more thorough testing. So, now they're learning from that given the a) massive content and b) fundamental changes to the netcode and skill tree involved here.

Part of testing is setting up a structure to make sure you control how, when, and how much data you get. It doesn't take 20,000 people to find out if something major is off/wrong/etc. Once the first 500 have played a little bit, you let another 500 in (making numbers up for illustrative purposes), because odds are good you're moving from major to moderate issues. Then let another 500 in, because we're moving on to smaller issues and less clear cut issues (is this boss too hard? is a subjective question). Wash, rinse, repeat until desired results are achieved.

----

The issue of 'fairness' in determining who gets in seems to have come up a lot. I have four pretty titles (well, 3, the CB supporter title looked better before the CB was added) under my name, so what's 'fair' in determining if I get in?

Many people seem to be approaching this from a quid pro quo mentality: the more they put in, the more they should get. Perhaps there is something to that. You could have 1 entry per 1,000 hours played, or 1 entry per 50 character levels, or some other weighted way of using RNG to select the Beta Testers. However, GGG chose the egalitarian (with minor mods) route. Everyone (again, minor exceptions) has an equal chance of getting in.

Now, regarding those exceptions. The only two I saw were 1) Alpha Testers, and 2) Streamers with tons of views. Unlike the original Beta Testers (of which I am one), the Alpha Testers were purposefully selected by GGG to test the game in the past. To acknowledge those people and the reason you asked them to test the first time is a good thing. All I did was give them $15 3 years ago (well, a little under), why would that merit special treatment? Oh and to whoever said that half don't even know if they are anymore, get a clue. One person asked, and that person does know. See all those accounts that say 'Alpha Member'? They're the Alpha Testers! Don't have that on your account? You're not one!

Anyone that has an issue with streamers that have huge followings getting in needs to perform a reality check. Those guys generate tons of free publicity and advertising for GGG. GGG would be monumentally stupid NOT to give those guys access. I never watch streams (and only sometimes watch ZiggyD vids), so I have no idea how large a population this is, but since most people can only name like maybe 5 total, get over it.

----

To folks saying they will use multiple accounts to try to get in: grow the hell up. Seriously. Now. Not only is that EXPLICITLY against the rules that Chris posted, it's also juvenile and extraordinarily selfish.

----

To folks bitching and whining about what to do in the interim: play the game! Chris even said they're heavily discussing what to do with the live game while the test is going on. If you hate the base game that much (why are you here?), then do what some people have said: go play something else. Come back when The Awakening is released. No game expects 100% fidelity. GGG won't be going to divorce court if you play another game. It's good to vary up what you do, so I'm not sure why people think this is a threat.

To the handful of folks that have said they won't give money again based on this: don't let the door hit your asses on the way out. People that try to use their wallet to try to hold GGG hostage to their agenda are not the people this game needs, we're better off without you.

----

To folks saying that only 'pro' players (or whatever nonsense) should get in: get over yourselves. Please. As others have pointed out, there actually are levels below 70, and some people actually enjoy playing them. Crazy, isn't it? Someone above said "all anyone does is rush through the content to get to mapping" (or something equally myopic). I know plenty of folks that don't play that way at all. Some folks play until early maps. Some folks play until the end of Merciless. Some folks sometimes only play to the end of normal before making a new char (though, I think that last group needs altaholics anonymous). Each and every one of those folks is a valid player and GGG would be remiss is not considering their playing experience as well as the experiences of those that can smoke Uber Atziri with their eyes closed and two hands tied behind their backs.

----

To folks saying that new players can't provide worthy feedback: you need to get over yourselves too. I've been playing almost three years now. That means I've had that much time to built up biases regarding this game and how I think it should work. It's the lense through which I view the game, and it will affect everything I experience and saw regarding this game. New players don't have that. They don't know the tree, or the monsters, or the quests, etc, as well as I do, which means they'll bring a much fresher perspective to those things than I will. GGG needs that fresh perspective. Perpetual games like this one need new players to survive. GGG, as far as I know, is not working on anything else, which means they need people playing (and paying for) PoE. Folks quit games all the time. They've gotten their fill, something else is shinier, they don't have time anymore, whatever. GGG must replace those people in order to survive as a company. Which means they need to make sure the game is easy enough to get hooked on that people stay. I have no goddamned clue if it is, I'm hooked already and have been here far too long to be able to really assess that.

----

I think that's it for now. But an overarching message in this post is: you salty olks need to take a step back and think about what is good for GGG and Path of Exile, not what is good for you.

100% agreed. Reading this thread and all the other incessant whining on the forums makes me want to facepalm so hard I hurt myself at times...

As much as I would personally have benefitted more from almost any other method for selecting people(I've played since the original closed beta, spent waaay more than I probably should have on supporting the game and will probably do so again, made dozens if not hundreds of characters, was one of the first ones to sign up for this beta etc.), I have to at least acknowledge that this method is perfectly fair. Everyone has an equal chance of being randomly chosen. As for the 2 groups that get guaranteed access...

Alpha testers: have been specifically chosen by GGG for, and presumably have a good deal of experience with testing. They know exactly what to expect from it. Presumably, they were originally chosen by GGG for a reason. You'd have to be crazy to think that they SHOULDN'T let them in for the beta

Streamers: Again, there are several reasons why they should get in. Even beyond the obvious fact that they are free publicity, having a few hundred people watching a stream and all discussing it will give far more info than just having one person playing alone. And no, they can't just give out that many more keys so more people can play instead. They have a limited number of slots for a reason. They want to do a controlled test, starting off small and then gradually letting more in once they verify that everything is working properly, not just open the floodgates all at once. And one more reason to allow streamers in is even for all the people who CAN'T play right away, it at least gives them SOME chance to watch the streams if they choose and get some info on what's coming(and even contribute indirectly at least by discussing it). Maybe not as fun as actually playing, but for many people, it'd be better than nothing.

And again, I personally would benefit more from them having chosen any one of several other different selection methods. But this isn't about me. Or you. Or any other one player. It's about what's best for the game overall. The content needs to be tested. There's a limited number of closed beta slots available. Someone was going to be left out. Too bad.
"
Pathological wrote:

PoE hasn't needed a "closed" beta for any previous content update

I think the general consensus would be that it HAS needed a closed beta for many of the previous updates. It just hasn't had them. And there have been a lot of issues because of this. And those other updates were FAR smaller than this one will be. A lot of people are saying this will be the biggest update since the game launched. I think even that may be understating it a bit. This update will be even bigger than the launch one in terms of how much stuff is changing.
"
Pathological wrote:
"
DarkHeart69 wrote:
Ziggy, Zeno, and Mathil are the most played streamer, have the most experience with variations of builds, and probably have the million views. You should let them in off of this fact alone to help balance those passive gems. There feedback is worth more than your average player. Some people say it is unfair, but they have the same goal of growing the player base that GGG has and that would be the purpose of this tree change.
If the goal is growing the player base, the feedback of new players is infinitely more valuable than experienced players.

Letting streamers in on the strength of being streamers is utterly ludicrous, and continues to reaffirm my ever-growing disgust in "betas" that aren't betas. As soon as you let people into a beta on the strength of a marketing ploy, whether for free advertising via popular streamers or through increasing cross-promotion through beta-key giveaways, the beta is no longer a beta, but a soft release. Let's stop calling it what it's not and call it what it is; a marketing release.

Poe used to be the exception to the rule with the new beta paradigm; upcoming builds were very hushed and the releases were hype as hell. A beta completely ruins that; the expansion will be known before it's out, the same as every other major game in the modern era.

THIS!

I'm sorry, but wtf were "alpha members" doing all this time...??? Let me guess, playing other games....? What's the point of these testers anyways, to get instant access to betas?

This dude is right, whatever happened to hyping the release of expansions (let alone an act) and letting the players die in ahhh of learning new content on the fly instead of from watching streamers play the content weeks in advance before them...?

I thought betas were for games that weren't released yet...? Why do we have to follow in D3's path with the PTR BS?
IGN Ken__Kaniff
Last edited by Knightmare101 on Apr 13, 2015, 11:18:33 AM
my bet is that they kinda have regret this closed beta thing, but they can't just change it now, so they will release a ton of keys, like in the 2~3 week everyone will be playing
couldnt read all pages. is there beta access for CB supporter ?
"
Knightmare101 wrote:
"
Pathological wrote:
"
DarkHeart69 wrote:
Ziggy, Zeno, and Mathil are the most played streamer, have the most experience with variations of builds, and probably have the million views. You should let them in off of this fact alone to help balance those passive gems. There feedback is worth more than your average player. Some people say it is unfair, but they have the same goal of growing the player base that GGG has and that would be the purpose of this tree change.
If the goal is growing the player base, the feedback of new players is infinitely more valuable than experienced players.

Letting streamers in on the strength of being streamers is utterly ludicrous, and continues to reaffirm my ever-growing disgust in "betas" that aren't betas. As soon as you let people into a beta on the strength of a marketing ploy, whether for free advertising via popular streamers or through increasing cross-promotion through beta-key giveaways, the beta is no longer a beta, but a soft release. Let's stop calling it what it's not and call it what it is; a marketing release.

Poe used to be the exception to the rule with the new beta paradigm; upcoming builds were very hushed and the releases were hype as hell. A beta completely ruins that; the expansion will be known before it's out, the same as every other major game in the modern era.

THIS!

I'm sorry, but wtf were "alpha members" doing all this time...??? Let me guess, playing other games....? What's the point of these testers anyways, to get instant access to betas?

This dude is right, whatever happened to hyping the release of expansions (let alone an act) and letting the players die in ahhh of learning new content on the fly instead of from watching streamers play the content weeks in advance before them...?

I thought betas were for games that weren't released yet...? Why do we have to follow in D3's path with the PTR BS?

+1 also couple of my friends start to think what is the point for been a long term supporter which still active in the game?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info