Q&A: Jonathan on desync solve coming with A4!!!

"
prilletime wrote:
Having inside information in my world means that you actually have an advantage and it's not even remotely fair for you to even hint & or tell any other person on this forum that you actually get inside information... So there's that. It's not like you offer a good read either apart from that you probably should have remained on probation for leaking out stupid messages like: " I know everything Chris have faith in me" You get the idea. Or probably not, InsideMan.

I am pretty sure if you care about the league ladder or races you have bigger problems to worry about than what Charan knows. Also I am sure there are other players that know just as much as he does o.O

As for desync fix unfortunately the latest closed beta news has made me pessimistic. So instead of my normal desync fix hype, until I see Chris post a date on the official forums and that date comes and I can see a desync fix in game, I will respond with "What desync fix?"
I need a signature to look legit
"
Which is also amusing because one of the big hints was 'go back and read that dev manifesto post by Chris, it has everything you need to know'. I don't recall the wording being that absolute, but it wouldn't surprise me if people read it as such. Nothing in business is absolute though. There are just degrees of certainty and uncertainty in the moment and for the foreseeable future. For example, floating life bars were an uncertainty during closed beta, with a strong inclination towards 'no', but then they were tested and GGG realised they'd underestimated the positive aspects of floating life bars. In they went. Same with loot options. Same, I think, with desync vs lag.

A stronger 'no' would be things like an automated Auction House, pay to win cash shop options and floating damage numbers. The positive aspects of these are, I believe, still outweighed by the negative.

I think by this point it's to be anticipated that GGG are going to...revisit some of their older decisions. I won't say 'do a 180' because that's a negative way of looking at what is ultimately a very positive thing: a business adapting to the times and changing its opinions/attitudes based on the evolving situation.

I believe it was pretty absolute about not switching to/offering a different network model but it's been edited now so i can't confirm it anymore. Regardless, GGG spent most of the manifesto drilling in to anyone reading it, that the model they chose is THE best one to use for their game and that they want to avoid the other approaches. It's not rocket science that people, including myself, believed nothing major was going to be done to reduce desync potential and the one year long radio silence from the devs didn't help anything either.

Heck the manifesto was virtually the most information anyone had gotten out of a dev on that topic by that point in time as far as I know (Unless there was a bunch of info being posted on Reddit, which I never use).

Heck, the maifesto still hasn't been updated with any new info since April 2014. All of the new/recent information about this topic was posted on Reddit and other locations by GGG and us GGG forum users (Non social website users) were left in the dark. It took regular users to copy the information here and fill us in.

Edit:
"
Chris wrote:
Suggesting we switch to a synchronous action model like RTS/MOBA games really isn't a good solution. I understand that RTSs/MOBAs don't have desync, but they do have lag after each and every click. When the semantic is that you're ordering a unit around, this lag is understandable, but if you *are* the unit, then it feels really terrible. Right now, our client-prediction allows users in obscure countries to play Path of Exile while under 200+ms of latency. This would be a much worse experience under that alternate action model. In addition, it'd require rewriting most of the game.
What do you infer from this Charan?

"
Chris wrote:
I'll update this article as we continue to make progress on this area.
You sure about that Chris? There's now new information available, but not in that Manifesto thread.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Apr 15, 2015, 1:06:29 AM
guess it's time for me to return to the hardcore leagues.
lol, you'd think that information like this would've been highlighted or pinned on the official forums of the game. Not reddit.

but i've been told that this site always has more information so I guess information like this already exists here.
Yesss.. I almost never experience desync already, and now the possibility to completely remove it. My life is complete.
I like many kinds of games 😊
Damn.

TurboBrutus now won't be the same.
End of fun.

Just kidding, I hope this change will improve the game and some guys will return to PoE.

Keep up the good work
IGN: Gonorreitor
One problem down, one more to go.
"
Boem wrote:

Gz on double 4/4 btw :)

Ty!
Mirror of Kalandra?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info