Stop making sellable challenges

I thought GGG had learnt from the Ambush/Invasion Atziri selling fiasco where helmets were sold for 15 ex a piece - this time Shrine Piety kills on Hardcore and Atziri kills on Standard are being rattled out at 15 chaos per pop. This leads to over 2 ex per map.

Not only does this vastly polarize currency distribution at the start (it's very easy to make 50 ex in 2 days) but this disrupts mapping progression (on day 4 streamers were using 12 chaos Zana mods on EVERY map) and destroys the "legitimacy" of the challenges.

On multiplayer

Is standing at the start of an instance is helping in a multiplayer kill? If not, it shouldn't be allowed.

The code is simple - dealt damage to piety? cursed Piety? provided charges to party members?

At the very least, this stops level 35s getting it. I mean that is kinda taking the piss, letting level 35s get a "skilled based" challenge is borderline abuse. Although I'm still adamant that this type of challenge should be discontinued altogether.

On hardcore nature of the game

"
CanHasPants wrote:
Instead, it seems to have continually been seeking new ways to further circumvent its own hardcore potential.

Exactly one of the reasons this disgusts me, we can weigh up benefits and cons but I strongly believe that the challenge system should be one of actual achievement.

For a regular standard player to come onto a hardcore league and build up a map pool to 77s and kill Shrine Piety/Dom/Abaxoth is actually a huge achievement. Its genuinely huge and I don't want this "selling, achievment hunting" mentality to undermine what could have been one of the first real tests of skill in this game that was designed properly (lol, collect uniques or kill RNG boss 100 times)

I have friends trying over and over (8th reroll) to get a character to maps and learn the leagues, and I deeply admire that. Then I see people transfering 10 chaos from the standard league and sitting at the start of an instance.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Apr 4, 2015, 1:58:12 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Yeah,more or less,only popular streamers can charge these kind of things because people trust them because they're streamin and other ppl watching it so they're sure they wont get scamed,it's a same thing like 6L lotteries.And what you said,it's easy to run only 77/78 maps when you have currency to put one of zana's mods on every map.
Stream to win lol!
Last edited by And1111 on Apr 3, 2015, 6:11:21 AM
To get a huge advantage this race, not only do you have to be good at mapping you have to stream/play with streamers.

Balanced.
Buying progression is a core design of this game and it's not gonna change.

Business is based on MTX sales. Sellable and RNG gated challenges allow and force people into party-trade, which in turn creates more MTX sales (or so GGG hopes).

It's also easier to design RNG challenges, because you know spawn rates of X, so it's easy to calculate "difficulty". While having more skill based challenges would require longer development and testing (and could still turn out imbalanced, too hard or too easy).

What GGG learned from Atziri shopping challenge, is that you should not limit the availability. Limited availability in connection with the ability to buy it, creates too much butthurt. This time everyone can buy their prize :) (in softcore you can get the boss kill for 5c)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Yes, there are RNG and skill based challenges - but even I could come up with a better skill challenge than pay 5c to some guy and sit in his instance.

There's literally no way GGG didn't see that, that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the challenge list.
Last edited by Chundadragon on Apr 3, 2015, 6:37:14 AM
when there is no clear reason - the reason is 'money'
I see the tinfoiling is going on quite hard already. Here's the real reason though: Making the challenges not sellable would mean forcing players into playing solo. You don't want to do this in an online multiplayer game. That's the only reason, deal with it.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
I see the tinfoiling is going on quite hard already. Here's the real reason though: Making the challenges not sellable would mean forcing players into playing solo. You don't want to do this in an online multiplayer game. That's the only reason, deal with it.

If something harms the integrity of the race for the top players who can't compete with streamers and the players who buy the challenge for the MTX more than it helps, it shouldn't be added.
I don't think they can stop making sell-able challenges at this point, with Economy carved so deeply into the very definition of what the game is, Chunda.
even if they wanted to.

and if you think about it, just about every conceivable challenge in the game today, is very much sell-able.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
What challenges would YOU make. How do you make them not something you can sell?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info