Recommend Me a Good Anime (Samkiud's "to Watch" List)

"
Terkhev wrote:
Maybe Mirai Nikki?

I made an attempt to watch it but I found the art style very immature and I couldn't stand it.
I'll be honest: I didn't read everyone's answers to this topic so this will include other answers.

I will just recommend Animes I find extra ordinary in my over 10 year Anime watching history and explain with few words why I find them worth watching.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Spoiler
Dont confuse this to earlier FMA anime because it sucks. This later version follows original manga and dont make up it own Anime only story like earlier FMA.

Why this is so good? Art is good. Not that glamour perfectionist candy shit what too many nowadays Animes go for. Story is smooth. Most Animes what I have watched doesn't include interesting plot. And if you think a little you will know what is going to happen next. In my opinion this Anime includes really interesting story which is really difficult to predict. There is over 60 episodes and zero fillers (well or maybe the first episode but it's still pretty entertaining). This is reason why I can watch this Anime over and over again. I have watched this five times already and I can say for sure I will watch this again in future. This Anime includes so many feelings: Sadness, laughter, happiness and even hate. There isn't many Animes where bad (permament) things happen to good people. Well this is one of them.

This Anime characters are really interesting and they are well thought. And they have different goals and reasons to live. And when you notice that your favorite character either die or get serious injury or something sad happens to his dear friend it might awaken some feelings deep inside you.

Even though this is extra ordinary in many things this still have pretty boring first episodes. Don't drop this because of that reason!

Naruto

Spoiler
I included this Anime because I felt like there have to be at least one Shonen. Why Naruto? Well I have watched this Anime more than enough. Even watched it fully two times. And numerous times I have watched specific arc. Why its better than Bleach, Fairy Tail or One Piece? Even though I am 10 year "veteran" when it comes to Anime watching I have never watched One Piece (and might be I never will) so I can't say anything of that. But I can compare it to Fairy Tail and Bleach. Both Animes suffers from few things. Fan servicing and dull story. Even though I like more blades than ninja scrolls Naruto haves more interesting story than Bleach. And Bleach fights are in most cases boring. And so is Naruto what longer story goes. And I know Fairy Tail fights are shortest of all these three. But since I'm already 27 years old I'm so fed of those six packs and D-cup breasts. Seriously. Even 10 years kids have six packs in that Anime. And it's story is childish and full of "epic" feelings (being alone but then you guild near you who helps you etc could call also it "emo feelings"). If I would be still 14 year old I would love it. But still it have really good things also like music and fighting skills even though I don't watch it anymore.

But what makes Naruto good? Well this is biased opinion for sure. But I watched Bleach first but then dropped it (I finished Anime later. I have never read manga though) and watched Naruto earlier. I used to be Naruto hater before because it was so mainstream. But my current girlfriend wanted to watch it with me and I gave it a chance and I don't regret it.

Naruto's strongest parts are Anime's beginning. You follow story of Naruto who is hated and he don't have anyone next to him and see him becoming stronger. I said Fairy Tail is childish because of "emo feelings". Well Naruto have same kind of thing but personally I like it more. Naruto is alone. Sasuke is alone. Both cry because of it but get over it. Even one clan skill is about "emo feelings", Uchiha. And I have to say I love those eye skills so much in this Anime.

Ghibli Movies

These movies are really good in so many ways. They keep you entertaining from start to end. Have great backgrounds. Interesting characters. They are like Disney movies but less childish.

My favorite ones are:

Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi, Totoro and Mononoke Hime.

Spoiler
Totoro tells story where two childs have interesting new friend in small village. But how? Im not going to spoil it. You have to check it out if you haven't already!

Chihiro no kamikakushi is one of my all time favorites. Is full of things what you cant find from anywhere else. You are middle of spirit world where everything is possible. But you are alone. And you parents just got transformed to pigs. And you are just small girl. What can you do?

Mononoke Hime is story about boy who got killing plague/virus and tries to find cure to it. In same time you are going to see demigods and brutal combat. So much is going to happen so fast. And world where this story lives in is so beatiful!

I also want to nominate: Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä.

Spoiler
Many maybe dont like this because it doesn't have clear story like most Animes do. What is so wonderful about this one is it's world where it lives in. If you like ancient worlds in RPG games I recommend to watch this. It's really good Anime. And different one! I have watched it only once and loved it! Will watch it soon again.

In my opinion this is overrated anime:
Sword Art Online
Spoiler
I saw many people recommended this anime. In my opinion this one of the most over rated Animes in decade. Story isn't original. Art isn't interesting or even that good. Characters are boring. But still first arc is really good and interesting. Second one isn't. Season 2 have pretty good first arc too. But rest of Anime is really boring.

Why season 1 first arc is good? Because death is permanent. Because they cant use magic. Because they have to beat every floor/level. But then these time jumps come. Then you notice they don't even have to beat game anymore. Everything what was interesting was took from you.

And season 2 first arc? Why its good? Because its competitive game where you want to see Kirito win tournament(s). Then inside the tournament game/anime ends. Pretty same reasons why another season first arc fails. If I have to compare these two I think Season 2 arc 1 is better because it have much more rewatch value than season 1 arc 1. When you have once seen Season 1 first arc it's not nearly as much interesting than it was in first time. And it have way too much void/filler episodes.
Last edited by Therier on Oct 7, 2015, 4:13:15 PM
"
Therier wrote:
I will just recommend Animes I find extra ordinary in my over 10 year Anime watching history and explain with few words why I find them worth watching.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Dont confuse this to earlier FMA anime because it sucks. This later version follows original manga and dont make up it own Anime only story like earlier FMA.

Why this is so good? Art is good. Not that glamour perfectionist candy shit what too many nowadays Animes go for. Story is smooth. There is over 70 episodes and zero fillers. This Anime includes so many feelings. Sadness, laughter, happiness and even hate.

I'll give it a shot.
You should. At least watch first 10 episodes. Oh and I submitted that using mobile phone. I updated my list again. But I guess it doesn't include anything new to you. At least I think you already have your opinion of Naruto or SAO. But if you are new to Ghibli movies then check it out!

"
Samkiud wrote:
"
Terkhev wrote:
Maybe Mirai Nikki?

I made an attempt to watch it but I found the art style very immature and I couldn't stand it.

I just recently watched Mirai Nikki and found few good and bad things about.

Good things:

It's different, wicked and unexpecting story.

Bad things:

This is one of those stories where someone made up really good story in the start but when you get more close to end you just notice that he don't know how to end this. And because of that this story never ends. And you prolly wont be satisfied of "end" of the story.

And in my opinion this Anime just isn't as good as it could be. Plot is awesome. But execution is not.
Last edited by Therier on Oct 7, 2015, 4:17:45 PM
Therier, if you read the original post you'll find out I despise Naruto and the kind of anime among those lines. I'm not willing to watch a never-ending anime for teenagers.
Last edited by Samkiud on Oct 7, 2015, 4:35:10 PM
"
Samkiud wrote:
Therier, if you read the original post you'll find out I despise Naruto and the kind of anime among those lines. I'm not willing to watch a never-ending anime for teenagers.

And that's really understandable. And Naruto is only never ending Anime watch I personally watch anymore. Even though first few arcs are pretty good. But FMA:B doesn't have that kind of problem.
"
Therier wrote:
"
Samkiud wrote:

And that's really understandable. And Naruto is only never ending Anime watch I personally watch anymore. Even though first few arcs are pretty good. But FMA:B doesn't have that kind of problem.

I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood at the moment and it is fantastic. I'm loving it.
Some recommendations I have are as follows:

Yowamushi Pedal - Cycling
Haikyu!! - Volleyball
Ace of Diamond - Baseball
Kuroko's Basketball - Basketball
(Pretty big into Sports anime atm)

AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day - Slice of Life
Sword of the Stranger - Action movie
Monogatari series - Colorfully awkward awesomeness
Samurai Champloo - Action
Samurai Flamenco - Power rangers meets Kickass
Rosario Vampire - We all need a lil bit of ecchi sketchy in our lives
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior - Slice of Life
Fairy Tail - Longer running action comedy
Code Geass - Sci-fi mecha drama
Baccano!/Durarara!! - Just awesome shows

...many more are out there for sure. These are some that I've thoroughly enjoyed recently.

"
Some recommendations I have are as follows:

Yowamushi Pedal - Cycling
Haikyu!! - Volleyball
Ace of Diamond - Baseball
Kuroko's Basketball - Basketball
(Pretty big into Sports anime atm)

AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day - Slice of Life
Sword of the Stranger - Action movie
Monogatari series - Colorfully awkward awesomeness
Samurai Champloo - Action
Samurai Flamenco - Power rangers meets Kickass
Rosario Vampire - We all need a lil bit of ecchi sketchy in our lives
The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior - Slice of Life
Fairy Tail - Longer running action comedy
Code Geass - Sci-fi mecha drama
Baccano!/Durarara!! - Just awesome shows

...many more are out there for sure. These are some that I've thoroughly enjoyed recently.

Did you read the OP?
Going through my Watched list, I think Haibane Renmei would appeal to you, though it's a bit .. dry?
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Last edited by GooberM on Oct 7, 2015, 9:48:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info