Thinking Outside the Box: Rethinking Melee and Ranged skills

"
"
agbudar wrote:
why is it so hard to add a single target melee skill(s) that give more armor/evasion or life.

Because melee splash ruined everything.

What he said. ^
I'm not sure I even agree with your thesis that melee is slower. Certainly not flicker nukers - they are fastest builds in the game if you can handle motion sickness and many others like reaver, static strike, lightning strike and so on. Maybe glacial hammer and such applies though. then lets not forget all the melee triggers for CoC like cyclone and molten strike. Anyway a lot of these issues would be fixed by the ideas in your leech thread. Either make it harder for casters/rangers to leech or regen then melee becomes more desirable.

As is there is no penalty for playing caster/ranger. Biggest AOEs, same defenses as others, and full leech at a distance. One or more of those needs to be addressed.

Alternatively make the on point skills hit way harder. Flame surge, glacial hammer, viper strike and so on are pathetic. But that still doesnt help as game is all about clearing/farming not long haul fighting so AOE is king.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Mar 31, 2015, 9:26:03 AM
There is a group of us that like going into a large mob and killing them one at a time while surviving via life leach, armor absorbing hits, and resistances that at max levels are not still one shotted.

Flicker Strike would not be in that category.
"
Moonyu wrote:
There is a group of us that like going into a large mob and killing them one at a time while surviving via life leach, armor absorbing hits, and resistances that at max levels are not still one shotted.
Yeah, but this is kind of like saying Brian Kibler (pro Magic the Gathering player) loves dragons (historically suboptimal creature type in MtG). He is on record gushing over them, but he's also aware they are shit, and he plays good cards in tournaments.

In the same way, you might just be a masochist, but when you're serious about min-maxing you will never be doing the things I quoted you describing. Maybe for lulz, sometimes. But the situation you describe (minus the hyperbole) enjoying are and always will be suboptimal in ARPGs, on a tautological level.

At the end of the day it's all about killspeed. By which I mean nuking the screen as fast as possible.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 31, 2015, 11:14:44 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
At the end of the day it's all about killspeed. By which I mean nuking the screen as fast as possible.

An therein is the problem. In other ARPGs the warrior is separated from the witches and archers. This allows for a better warrior experience. But PoE's tree makes it too easy for a witch or archer to go into the warrior side of the tree if they want.

But instead of thinking about clear speed, they need to think about types of game play. I couldn't give a rat's ass about how fast I clear a map or instance. I want to fight and win. How long it takes doesn't enter into the equation.

But in PoE it is tantamount. Too many monsters are so over powered that you must kill them quickly before you are simply overwhelmed as warriors have the same amount of life as the ranged characters. In traditional ARPGs, the warrior can stack life to survive what the others can't because it is required. Have to go in and hit everything, risking getting hit by everything. Ranged is so much safer and still gets the same life. Breaks the game really for warrior players.

Now I see with the announcements that GGG is trying to address this problem and I hope it works. But as it stands right now, it is anything,but the Path of Warriors.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info