Thinking Outside the Box: Rethinking Melee and Ranged skills

"
pneuma wrote:
If dex is fast, then it should be possible for a dex skill to one-hit four different enemies in four usages in the time it takes the strength skill to one-hit the four enemies with one usage. LMP/GMP should not be in the game at all in this world, since it reduces the thematic meaning of both dex and strength.

Certainly dex should get all of the movement skills, since it's competing with massive AoE (no movement required) from strength or with enemy movement/terrain control (pulling enemies, boxing them in, etc) from int. That way the dextrous attacker can be a legit thing -- the fastest character in the game (and needs to be just to keep up clear speed with screen-wipers).
Regarding Dex melee, 100% correct. The problem is having that bleed too much into archery. I updated the OP to reflect this idea.
"
pneuma wrote:
Int still feels to not be well defined and ripe for abuse. Like, how do you guarantee that Heat Wave isn't stronger than a strength AoE skill? If it is stronger, then strength is no longer the go-to for AoE, which is counter to strength's role. Or what if there's an int combo which is better at single targets than dex?
First, let's get this out of the way: a very skilled spellcaster player running on all cylanders is almost definitely going to be the strongest character in the game. Once we start moving away from single-skill spam for everyone, we start having to balance for skill, and we're not going to set it at Starcraft levels.

That said, casters should be balanced to have the worst single-skill spam, period. Mighty nerfs upon anything which somehow deviates. Which would eventually make casters by far the worst at brainless, autopilot farming, by late game if not abit sooner (earlygame should have forgiving learning curve).

Thankfully, in PvP humans are smarter than AI so a lot of that DOT AOE stuff won't work so well.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I don't mentally associate critical strikes with any attribute. It seems to me you can make an argument for any of them. In a general ARPG sense, I could imagine it going anywhere.

In PoE, I'd be included to put Resolute Technique far from the Dex stuff, and crit stuff near Resolute Technique. So I probably would have made the crit support gems red, to be honest. Axes would probably have max crit/second and maces the best base crit chance. Probably would have switched the implicits on daggers and scepters, although I feel that kind of hoses Templar and Shadow in terms of their feel.

Don't really understand why Int gets all the spells AND all the crit. I blame Brian Weissman myself - who else would give Blue too many cool things?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
I agree with your overall approach to dex melee but we cannot return to the days of zero-cooldown flicker strike. I like where it is now.
Fair enough. Edited OP.

Edit: delayed response
"
pneuma wrote:
This would also imply something like:
- Strength is best for farming lots of small dudes
- Dex is best at killing bosses
- Int is best at everything in between

... but that means enemy design would need to be entangled here. For Str/Int/Dex to be a valid choice, endgame challenges would need to feature each of these scenarios prominently and equally.

Atziri as the sole endgame would not work, since killing bosses is Dex's domain and shoehorning people into that is bad. There would need to be a different place like a high level Coward's Trial for strength to shine in, and then a place with puzzle-esque terrain (Oba's-ish?) for int to shine in. Loot from all of these would need to be competitive, which is also a mathematical hurdle.
Or, lock the door to boss rooms until you clear out all the mobs littering the Apex/Abyss. If they're no longer skippable they could still present a challenge to Dex characters.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 26, 2015, 8:20:26 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

One common myth I see perpetuated in ARPGs is that melee-based builds are often inferior because they lack enough survivability options.

However, the truth is that even if your melee character was literally invulnerable, chances are your build would still suck compared to a ranged build. You don't die, but he doesn't really die either. Oh, and he kills stuff faster than you. You still lose.

I have voiced this concern too many times already. Players tend to forget that they were days that melee COULD be vitually immortal. Gellig's Uber tank was able to AFK on uber atziri, -max double dominus, -max double crematorium and all that jazz, AND YET, people who could afford this build, still chose to play high end ranged, like low life spectral throw or wanders, because they could clear maps in 2 mins, and they were basically immortal as well, just not AFK immortal. And anyway, GGG decided that they do not want AKF immortal players in the game, so they went on and nerfed block, max res, acrobatics etc., even though they were not the most popular high end builds in the game.

Your suggestions are interesting, but they are too drastic and they will never happen. However there is this basic truth: In order to FINALLY melee ad ranged be somewhat balanced, one has to have the better survivability, and the other the better clear speed/DPS. The surivivability on the melee side has been tried and did not work, so IMO there is no way around. Ranged should have better survivability and crowd control, and it does so inherently, while melee should have the damage and the clear speed. I have no idea how this can be achieved, or even if it possible, but IMO that's the solution.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
IMHO, it all boils down to this: the things that should be balanced are too disparate (weapons and affix), and the things that should be imbalanced are not disparate enough (mechanics).

One mechanical disparity that does not exist is "who is good at dealing damage where." Ranged is 100% proficient at delivering damage anywhere, while melee is 100% insufficient at delivering damage to anywhere but close proximity. This is a natural disparity that can be balanced by creating a mechanical disparity to take its place.
~Ranged is subject to "inverse" point blank scaling from 50% less to 0% more damage by proximity (close<--->distant). Picking PB replaces this effect.
~Melee is subject to point blank scaling from 50% more to 50% less damage by proximity.

Fake edit: I had more to say but stuff is happening.
Spoiler
Taking my wife to the hospital; don't know if she's in labor or if it's a false alarm. Bye ^-^
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
Poutsos wrote:
Ranged should have better survivability and crowd control, and it does so inherently, while melee should have the damage and the clear speed. I have no idea how this can be achieved, or even if it possible, but IMO that's the solution.

Increasing base melee weapon damage and taking "ranged melee" skills like ST and LS to the cleaners could put us on the right path with minimal changes.

Hampering LW and BA would make Leap/Flicker/WB/SC(kinda) all the movement skills all melee skills as well, which would give melee the leg up on clear speed that it desperately needs.

The only melee that competes for clear speed right now is Flicker HoA prolif afaict, which implies that even if you teleport to enemies and one-hit entire packs, you're still only barely keeping up with ranged.
Last edited by pneuma on Mar 27, 2015, 1:43:33 PM
I think the disparity ties directly to the entire fact that it's at all possible to basically one-shot entire packs. And that with massive attack/cast speed.

This creates a game where the majority of time spend mapping is spend on moving from pack to pack which gives ranged, who only need to move so far and can even kill off-screen enemies, a massive advantage that can't be overcome regardless of melee damage or survivability.

Melee could kill enemies three times as quickly and would still have worse clear speed due to the simple fact that for every second spend killing enemies you spend five seconds travelling between enemies.

And ranged has to travel less. Ranged wins.

To balance that that single second needs to be massively increased. PoE's combat needs to slow the hell down. When you reach the point where you spend more time fighting enemies than travelling then you'll see more balance between melee and ranged.

There's nothing inherent in melee that's causing the problem. The problem isn't between ranged and melee . The problem is between offense and defense. There's been simply way too much power creep on the offense side of things, both from players as well as monsters, leaving us into a situation where combat isn't long enough to justify the additional time melee spends getting into it.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
"
pneuma wrote:
Increasing base melee weapon damage and taking "ranged melee" skills like ST and LS to the cleaners could put us on the right path with minimal changes.
"
Gobla wrote:
I think the disparity ties directly to the entire fact that it's at all possible to basically one-shot entire packs. And that with massive attack/cast speed.

To balance that that single second needs to be massively increased. PoE's combat needs to slow the hell down. When you reach the point where you spend more time fighting enemies than travelling then you'll see more balance between melee and ranged.

There's nothing inherent in melee that's causing the problem. The problem isn't between ranged and melee . The problem is between offense and defense. There's been simply way too much power creep on the offense side of things, both from players as well as monsters, leaving us into a situation where combat isn't long enough to justify the additional time melee spends getting into it.
Noop.

In pretty much every ARPG ever, DPS is one of the most malleable player metrics. In PoE, a single extra linked socket or a weapon upgrade can boost your damage 50%, or double it if both happen at once. This kind of "damage rebalancing" would in fact create a QQ-worthy melee imbalance for the highest-level content, since melee would still be able to handle the content with less-than-perfect gear, and even with access to perfect gear there'd be no incentive to switch.

Also, even if you made that change, ranged would still be OP somewhere. They'd just abandon the highest-level content and farm some other spot where they can one-shot everything. They'd grind and grind and grind and eventually trade for the items they need to handle the highest content. But they'd do that for ego; the farming pattern wouldn't really change.

From an ARPG design perspective, one must accept that control over DPS is going to be tenuous at best, and a good rule of thumb is that, at the latest stages of character progression, every attack will always one-shot everything it touches (not true, but a damn fine assumption regardless). Which leaves increased multi-target ability as the sole means of further increasing combat efficiency.

Which is why firmer developer control over AoEs, multiple projectiles, and other multihit mechanics, as well as over movement speed and movement skills, is so important. Unlike DPS, these factors do not tend to spiral forever upwards during character progression, which allows then to be the limiters which bring balance between ranged and melee.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 27, 2015, 4:59:58 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Gobla wrote:

Noop.

In pretty much every ARPG ever, DPS is one of the most malleable player metrics. In PoE, a single extra linked socket or a weapon upgrade can boost your damage 50%, or double it if both happen at once. This kind of "damage rebalancing" would in fact create a QQ-worthy melee imbalance for the highest-level content, since melee would still be able to handle the content with less-than-perfect gear, and even with access to perfect gear there'd be no incentive to switch.

Also, even if you made that change, ranged would still be OP somewhere. They'd just abandon the highest-level content and farm some other spot where they can one-shot everything. They'd grind and grind and grind and eventually trade for the items they need to handle the highest content. But they'd do that for ego; the farming pattern wouldn't really change.

From an ARPG design perspective, one must accept that control over DPS is going to be tenuous at best, and a good rule of thumb is that, at the latest stages of character progression, every attack will always one-shot everything it touches (not true, but a damn fine assumption regardless). Which leaves increased multi-target ability as the sole means of further increasing combat efficiency.

Which is why firmer developer control over AoEs, multiple projectiles, and other multihit mechanics, as well as over movement speed and movement skills, is so important. Unlike DPS, these factors do not tend to spiral forever upwards during character progression, which allows then to be the limiters which bring balance between ranged and melee.

Many ways to increase the combat time in relation to travel time.

I'd also be greatly in favor of more mechanics which circumvent DPS entirely. Like Vaal completely dissapearing during one of his phases or as used during the Atziri fight. Stuff that renders enemies immune to damage under certain conditions ( but requiring interaction during the immunity, AKA not phylacteral link ).

And hell, I'd say ranged farming low level stuff faster but high level stuff slower disregarding BiS gear would still be a definite improvement over the current situation.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
Aaand it'll never happen or be read by a GGG member.
Guide - How To Get Started in Path of Exile - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1297390
My Feedback Analysis Thread - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1270724

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info