Elemental Proliferation is fine.

"
I think there's a false dichotomy in your argument, and it's a big reason I disagree with it. You don't have to remove shotgunning to make the OHK bullshit monsters do less prevalent (or removed entirely).
From a monster-to-player perspective, it holds up fairly well. Either you balance it against ranged players and OHKO the hell out of melee players, or you balance it against ranged players and render it a joke against ranged.

This is why Far Shot was such an inspired monster modifier. It's a decidedly pro-melee monster-projectile mechanic. It is that exception which turns CHP's dichotomy into, well, no longer a dichotomy anymore. For spells which have Far Shot I would have zero objection to shotgunning.

However, we cannot seriously put Far Shot in every player skill. Perhaps one, two on the high side. So spell shotgunning will still be a problem. All we've done is go from dichotomy to a trichotomy.

Freezing Pulse very literally has Far Shot in reverse.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 9, 2015, 12:33:21 AM
The monster-to-player perspective need not be the same as player-to-monster, and indeed it already is not, so it's difficult for me to buy into that line of thinking.
So you're saying we should implement a policy of "monsters don't spell shotgun, but players do?"

If that's what you're selling, I'm not buying.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
If that would be better for the game (and I believe less OHK nonsense would be), then I'm okay with it. Sure, it's interesting to have monsters able to, but not at the cost of making them too hard to balance. It's easier from the player-to-monster perspective to justify allowing it because there's so much other stuff that would be "OP" if put in the same light, and nerfing/removing those would likewise make the game less fun, interesting, or diverse.

Edit: Difficulty shouldn't be an artificial thing--OHKs are especially guilty of this--and most of it gets cheesed by CWDT setups anyway, so removing the cheese defense, and making monsters not able to do it at the same time, would preserve game difficulty while making it feel less gimmicky on both ends of the spectrum.
Last edited by AlbinosaurusRex on Mar 9, 2015, 1:04:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info