Elemental Proliferation is fine.

So you say that the game is harder now? Sorry to ask but you are not clear

Sure. There were some nerfs there and there. Block etc. And you know what? These didnt matter. What makes current poe an easy game is the player damage output that is absolutely bonkers compared to .11 days

Id lioe to ask you go and watch yt content from open beta /early release and check. People were farming docks till 70!! How often do you hear 'am i ready for maps' now?

Most spells and weapons got stronger (directly or indirectly - ie more/better passives/affixes), mana is irrelevant now (no need to care about it for <5link for attacks at all) health comes from levels so a lot less pressure to take EVERY life node. More nodes for other stuff. Lots of hybrid nodes with less clutter.

I do not know how one cannot see it. Game was streamlined up to the level of not being able to fail if the idea is sound. And this is a good thing.

One stuff that remains is the desync that forces large buffer. But im currently trying the extreme - 75+ maps with 3000hp, no MoM, no perma IC and lvl14aa. Currently it works. In .11 that would have been ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE. Even as a joke build
"
sidtherat wrote:
So you say that the game is harder now? Sorry to ask but you are not clear

Sure. There were some nerfs there and there. Block etc. And you know what? These didnt matter. What makes current poe an easy game is the player damage output that is absolutely bonkers compared to .11 days

Id lioe to ask you go and watch yt content from open beta /early release and check. People were farming docks till 70!! How often do you hear 'am i ready for maps' now?

Most spells and weapons got stronger (directly or indirectly - ie more/better passives/affixes), mana is irrelevant now (no need to care about it for <5link for attacks at all) health comes from levels so a lot less pressure to take EVERY life node. More nodes for other stuff. Lots of hybrid nodes with less clutter.

I do not know how one cannot see it. Game was streamlined up to the level of not being able to fail if the idea is sound. And this is a good thing.

One stuff that remains is the desync that forces large buffer. But im currently trying the extreme - 75+ maps with 3000hp, no MoM, no perma IC and lvl14aa. Currently it works. In .11 that would have been ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE. Even as a joke build

There was less annoying stuff back in the days that can RIP to you shreds. Besides the rare auras, you only had the map mods that can buff the mobs. There was triple shock and light thorn, but heh, you can easily go above 80 max light res back then and pop a topaz flask and you are good to go. Some of the brutal map bosses (the ones that got revamped) were a joke back then.

As for dock farming till 70, well....it was either that, lunaris (piety farming), or catacombs. There was not a lot of alternatives to do before mapping. When early release came, you had the Dominus content which can you test out your build if it was good enough for mapping. Merc Dominus is easily tougher than 66-70 maps (excluding Museum map because tri boss can be spiky in most cases). On top of that, the standard economy was still fresh for a good portion of Open Beta, so it was tough to make a good build without forking a ton of exalts, so hence why BoR got really popular quickly. Lets not forget, many players were still trying to get the hang of the mechanics from this game. Hell, I am still learning till this day, but I am more knowledgeable of PoE than when I was in Open Beta. That knowledge opened the door of opportunity to make more builds that can succeed more than 90% of the content. A good portion of my builds in open beta were all in the "let me piece whatever, and see what will come out of this" mindset.

The only build I made that was very concrete in planning, was my Frenzybreaker build, the only build that got me over level 90. I made it so well back then, that nearly all the content of the game was trivial to me. I was essentially immortal by design, with the exception of some really spiky damage in 76+ maps that would had shred my other builds instantly. It was durable enough for me to react. Funny thing in that time, the build was really cheap to make. The good thing at that time, auras was very easy to reserve. A level 20 RM was enough to reserve Grace + Hatred + Purity + Vitality in one go. That helped a lot in my offense (easily got me to 40k dps), and defense (over 12k AR (using IR) with +80% physical reduction, +85 max res, and a ton of life regeneration). Also taking into consideration with Blind (before it got nerfed to 50%) + Enfeeble (also got nerfed), non-spell bosses were trivial. Enfeeble helped a lot in reducing the overall damage from spell bosses, so they were easily manageable.

Man, those were the good ole times when my melee tank literally steamrolled his way through everything. :(

Edit: Of course, I only had one build that worked really really well back then, but I never put the effort to improve my other builds, because it was too costly for me to try. I mean playing one character in open beta did not help much, but I found it easier for my Frenzybreaker back then, than it is currently today. Little by little, GGG starting giving us more option by making changes to the passive tree, introducing more gems and unique items, and adding crafting tables (FM) for to craft this oh so close GG gears to GG gears to cement the build. Alog with that, the economy started to inflate, so for the stuff I could not afford back then, I can afford them now be it non-legacy, or not part of the meta.

Edit2: I am not sure this answers your question, but this is my personal experience from Open Beta, for the most part.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Mar 7, 2015, 11:37:02 AM
I think you misunderstand me. I said some stuff is easier, some stuff is harder, and the next expansion will likely introduce new harder content. The point about difficulty creep I was making earlier is that we have already seen new content that is harder than generic blue/yellow maps, and certain things get nerfed here and there. Overall, most of the game is easier. I just wanted you to acknowledge the different aspects of the game more honestly/objectively, because your post made it sound like everything is just face roll now (which is only true for the top ~0.1% of builds).
...why does it have to be one extreme or the other?

Some content is harder, act 3x mobs, atziri, 78 maps

Some content is easier, map climbing, lightning thorn, reflect, many mobs have had their damage reduced.

And the populations general IQ has gone way up. There hasn't been a massive learning curve since release and OB. Right now most of the powerful combinations have been flushed out and we know how to apply them to all sorts of builds.

I'll say it again, the game currently is the in the best state of balance I've seen ever probably. Saying it's harder or easier is completely subjective as they are trying to level all of that shit out and some things will be harder and easier depending on what builds you're using. Objectively, it's less spiky than it was in the past, in either direction, which is GGG's hope with each patch.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Moosifer wrote:
I'll say it again, the game currently is the in the best state of balance I've seen ever probably. Saying it's harder or easier is completely subjective as they are trying to level all of that shit out and some things will be harder and easier depending on what builds you're using. Objectively, it's less spiky than it was in the past, in either direction, which is GGG's hope with each patch.

If I take all my builds into account, then this is what I think as well given the state PoE is in right now. I say it is a good thing.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
Moosifer wrote:

Some content is easier, map climbing, lightning thorn, reflect, many mobs have had their damage reduced.

And the populations general IQ has gone way up. There hasn't been a massive learning curve since release and OB. Right now most of the powerful combinations have been flushed out and we know how to apply them to all sorts of builds.

I mostly agree. There are just a few things that need some adjustment to smooth it out a bit more--especially the ranged vs melee issue.
"
"
Moosifer wrote:

I mostly agree. There are just a few things that need some adjustment to smooth it out a bit more--especially the ranged vs melee issue.

Chris said melee was fixed in act 4...
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
All of this "is the game harder?" power creep talk is irrelevant.

Prolif turns single-target (and near-single-target) skills into multi-target (or wider-target) skills. As such, it demands a damage penalty.

I don't mean fixing its oddball mechanics, although that may be worth looking into. as well. I mean "x% less Burning Damage" in actual letters, written directly into the gem.

And if that means we have to buff ignite itself, perhaps do some kind of 25% more 20% less treading water type thing, then so be it.

This is because the issue isn't (just) PvE balance, but also build balance. It's about single-target vs AoE.

Prolif isn't the gravest offender here. Spell shotgunning is an abomination. LMP and GMP both need their penalties increased 10% each. Even Melee Splash needs a damage nerf; granted, its AoE is kind of shit, but it gives up very little damage in exchange, so a combination damage nerf and AoE buff seems in order.

Doubtlessly, accompanying these nerfs would be a series of buffs to the skills LMP, GMP, and MSplash modify, because the idea isn't to nerf LMP Lightning Arrow, but to nerf LMP Lightning Arrow.

Would such changes change endgame play a whole lot? Probably not. The most powerful farming builds would likely still use range and massive AoE to kill everything as fast as possible; I don't think anything could ever change this. But for that 1-70 climb, using single-targets for rare monsters and such would be a far more valued tactic than today's single-skill-spam metagame.

In regards to this, Prolif may be lower on the priority list, but I'm still going to mention it whenever it comes up.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 7, 2015, 6:15:37 PM
Prolif, GMP, LMP, and spell shotgunning are all fine.

The game is easier than it was in CB/OB if you're talking strictly about CB/OB content.

The problem is that as the new content has been added, the things have really raised the "oh bullshit what the fuck was that" factor.

The game was more player skill oriented back in CB because we were less powerful, but so were the blink-and-you're-in-standard situations we faced. Now being "strong" is more about preparation and minimizing the risk you'll be instripped by horseshit.

The games overall balance is just so freaking bad right now that it's infuriating as a player. The gap between high end and average builds is as far as it's ever been... and that really means that average builds get their shit handed to them on a platter if ggg wants to challenge top builds

Unfortunately, GGG tends to miss the mark whenever they get the nerf bat out. I think the game should stay as is till act 4.
Anyone who thinks (over) 150% more damage on a single support is "fine" is out of their mind.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info