Behold the Lazy Pally, a tribute to the Build of the Week

Some additional notes after browsing this thread and letting it sink in.

Spoiler
Compared to his gear cost, BoR + rathpith is easily both more efficient and cheaper.

It provides more base damage, free's up an amulet slot which can be utilized for various buffs (hp/resis/flat phys primary) and results into more spell block% which is the main threat a build like this faces.

My second issue with this build since it is designed to be a noob friendly/beginners friendly build is the choice of attack.

Considering his weapon (which is by itself extremely costly and good) he is not utilizing reave.

Reave + multistrike + melee damage + conc effect + more melee on full life would yield far better results.

1) most scaling in this build is physical from the shield nodes that are taken

2) leach has a higher efficiency since it isn't halved by converting a portion to elemental damage

3) not splitting your damage results in a higher "armor penetration" per hit, which again leads to better game-play results.

In case of a BoR

reave + melee damage + multistrike + melee on full life

Melee on full life in a build like this is extremely beneficial, it's a full negation build and if done correctly 95% of your play-time will be on full life. So you get the benefit for which other reavers have to utilize conc effect for and reduce there AOE potential.

Additionally, you save points because of the 8% block from BoR, as demonstrated by the passive tree, extremely valuable block% that is better suited in other fields.

I would also reckon that given his weapon and the price tag associated with it soul taker is a viable alternative at it's current price range.
This is beneficial for 3 reasons

1) allows running 50% regen maps and thus reducing overall mapping cost or need to reroll

2) dito with no regen maps

3) it free's up a slot for an additional aura, which usually translates in an easyer gearing phase (resist aura) or when the gearing process is done, more damage (in this case herald of ash, which is also beneficial to clear speed)

Just thought i would write this down, since it is a BotW that's focusing on a new-player friendly build.
I consider this good info to have when deciding on this build.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
Some additional notes after browsing this thread and letting it sink in.

Spoiler
Compared to his gear cost, BoR + rathpith is easily both more efficient and cheaper.

It provides more base damage, free's up an amulet slot which can be utilized for various buffs (hp/resis/flat phys primary) and results into more spell block% which is the main threat a build like this faces.

My second issue with this build since it is designed to be a noob friendly/beginners friendly build is the choice of attack.

Considering his weapon (which is by itself extremely costly and good) he is not utilizing reave.

Reave + multistrike + melee damage + conc effect + more melee on full life would yield far better results.

1) most scaling in this build is physical from the shield nodes that are taken

2) leach has a higher efficiency since it isn't halved by converting a portion to elemental damage

3) not splitting your damage results in a higher "armor penetration" per hit, which again leads to better game-play results.

In case of a BoR

reave + melee damage + multistrike + melee on full life

Melee on full life in a build like this is extremely beneficial, it's a full negation build and if done correctly 95% of your play-time will be on full life. So you get the benefit for which other reavers have to utilize conc effect for and reduce there AOE potential.

Additionally, you save points because of the 8% block from BoR, as demonstrated by the passive tree, extremely valuable block% that is better suited in other fields.

I would also reckon that given his weapon and the price tag associated with it soul taker is a viable alternative at it's current price range.
This is beneficial for 3 reasons

1) allows running 50% regen maps and thus reducing overall mapping cost or need to reroll

2) dito with no regen maps

3) it free's up a slot for an additional aura, which usually translates in an easyer gearing phase (resist aura) or when the gearing process is done, more damage (in this case herald of ash, which is also beneficial to clear speed)

Just thought i would write this down, since it is a BotW that's focusing on a new-player friendly build.
I consider this good info to have when deciding on this build.

Peace,

-Boem-

Just one thing though, Reave has been ditched now, and the main attack skill used is now Static Strike as it provides better clear speed than Reave.
His build is in no way overpowered. I think there are a lot of builds that are stronger than his. It's very good still! And very newb friendly. But for late game, there are much better alternatives in my opinion.
I dont really like Static Strike though, it just seems like a lightning version of cleave or sweep, it looks a bit boring. the block is epic tho
I have failed to see how this qualifies as a build, let alone Build of the Week.

This is just simply taking every block node in your reach and taking some life and damage nodes along the way.

This is just a simple thing every person do when they decide to go Block, you can do this with Templar, Duelist, Ranger or even Shadow to some degree and it will still be effective the same way.

If this was somehow oriented around making an attack type(let's say Static Strike) work in an effective or different than we already know and choosing Block as main defensive form along with that, I would completely understand. But this is just nothing more than typing Block in search box and taking the ones you can.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Well fiends, one of the cornerstones of the build, always has been, is that it works with most any attack skill. In the guide I have always recommended leveling up a few different ones to choose one's favorite. The build provides the defensive framework.

I used Reave for a long time (around a year) even after the 1.3 patch. I think it did 30k DPS with my current gear. Static Strike does 53K calculated dps and has a large circular aoe with quality, so I prefer it.

Prior to 1.3 I used Anvil + Rathpith. It was nice, but with the reducing of the block on the Rathpith I could not sustain max block with it without resorting to legacy or top end corrupted items ($$). I want to make sure the build is open and friendly for new leagues and new players, so I chose my new gear for 1.3 to make sure to set a good example of an affordable setup with max block. I don't find an extra few points of spell block to be a big deal anyway. If you do the math it's really not that much.

Also in 1.3, the availability of defenses from equipped shield nodes doubled so I was able to drop grace and get adequate evasion from the shield, Rathpith does not provide this. Thus I was able to pick up Herald of Ash and Tempest Shield instead while maintaining the same amount of evasion I had before.

One problem with BoR is that it places huge stress on the rings to provide the required resists thus raising expense or losing flat physical on rings and / or gloves as a tradeoff. I'm skeptical that BoR could yield superior dps in the final analysis due to the supports being such low level and no quality. Perhaps in a different build or with unlimited budget for rings.

To the guy claiming the build is easy to come up with, well, every big patch I spend dozens of hours trying all of the combinations to find the best. Maybe I'm just slow. I think if you have any specific question I could present a very rational, well-reasoned argument why I did what I did perhaps helping you to see the intelligence behind the choice.

Finally, on the weapon front, I got hold of a Doryani's Catalyst and can tell you the dps is a bit better than my claw in my particular setup. I wouldn't call 3 ex expensive on standard league. I love whirling blades, unfortunately. But I do highly recommend Doryani's Catalyst in the rich folks' section for endgame. Maybe someday I'll grow to love leap slam or shield charge.
Thanks for the clarification Sovyn.

As a player who prefers playing solo and (mostly) self-found I found it a huge advantage of the build that I can use any one-handed weapon.

This is a huge advantage to someone like me who hates trading (the one and only aspect of PoE I do not like, I otherwise love the game above anything else I have played the past 10+ years).

Currently in Torment I find my self finding weapon upgrades more frequently than ever (probably due to those tormented spirits, hehe), and I swap weapon type so often. Just yesterday I updated my one handed mace to a sword for a nice 400 dps boost when this dropped:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info