Tips / FAQ for new players

"
DeviousKiwi wrote:
If I have a gem at level 1 with +15% quality, and the same gem at level 3, if I put both of them in sockets will it act as a level 3 gem +15% quality?

Only the highest level gem that you have equipped gets used. So in this case you won't benefit from the +15% quality until that gem catches up to the higher level gem's level.

"
DeviousKiwi wrote:
Also, how do the gems gain experience?

Gems get experience equal to 10% of the experience you earn.

"
DeviousKiwi wrote:
If I have one gem equipped will it gain twice as much experience than if I have two gems equipped?

No.
The number of gems you have equipped has no effect on the rate of XP gain.
Last edited by Malice on Aug 13, 2011, 3:52:16 PM
Alright question. Is the max number of support gems on a skill currently 3 (because you can only get four linked right now) or is using multiple skills of the same kind with different supports a viable option?
The max number of sockets on an item is six and as long as all the sockets are linked together (even if they're not directly adjacent to each other) they can all support each other. If you have multiple copies of a skill gem (don't need to be the same level) you can have them linked to different support gems in different items and get all the same bonuses.
Forum Sheriff
What if they are linked to the *same* support gem?

Like say I have spark and I use multiple projectiles on my wand, armor, helm, shield, and boots.
Support Gems. Explain. I am trying to link spells that I find but I think all of the spells I am finding are not support..so I'm only adding more spells not adding to the spells I currently have.
Streaming [url]http://twitch.tv/insidethesun[/url] tue/thur/sunday 11am-3am mon/wed/fri after 10pm and sat 11am-3pm then after 10pm [pacific times]
"
Gea wrote:
What if they are linked to the *same* support gem?

Like say I have spark and I use multiple projectiles on my wand, armor, helm, shield, and boots.

Only the highest level support gem is used to modify the skill. The system would be way broken and abusable otherwise.

"
insidethesun wrote:
Support Gems. Explain. I am trying to link spells that I find but I think all of the spells I am finding are not support..so I'm only adding more spells not adding to the spells I currently have.

You may not have found any support gems yet. They only start dropping or being given as quest rewards in Act 2 onward. You'll find gear that has sockets which are connected with a link. If you place a skill gem in one socket and a support gem linked to it in another then the skill will be buffed by the support gem.
Forum Sheriff
Do the extra item quantity etc support gems work the same as say multiple projectiles gem would- in that I only get extra drops when I kill using a skill it's linked to?
<Dregs of Theopolis>
~US Eastern~

*Hardcore PoE fan since September 2, 2010*
"
rabidwolf9 wrote:
Do the extra item quantity etc support gems work the same as say multiple projectiles gem would- in that I only get extra drops when I kill using a skill it's linked to?

Correct
and I assume using multiple +quality/quantity gems on the same skill doesn't cause the % to stack.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
And man, did he look pretty ill
Last edited by Highwayman on Feb 25, 2013, 8:43:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info