Mathil's 1H Crit Ice Crash - 2.0 Viable

2.0 Update
The build, gear and passives is essentially the same except we now use Ice Crash because it's just that much better. Please watch the guide video here for the build updates in 2.0 converting to Ice Crash. The new passive tree is here: ***2.0 passive tree***

Gear used in the video found here but please don't take the gear or links used as law, experiment yourselves!
Spoiler

Build revolving around stacking crit, physical damage and attack speed to clear super fast and hit super hard. I'm not the first to do a 1H groundslam build by any means and if you'd like to look at people who have done them before then Skyforth's Glaciator was built far before mine was. That said I built mine from scratch without looking at other builds.

Video Guide/Atziri Run. Watch this before asking questions as it may cover anything you're wondering about.

Endgame Gear Setup on Torment:
Spoiler

Current Skill Tree - 109 pts

Progression/Leveling Passive Trees:
32 points

56 points

85 points

I leveled using ground slam and a 1 hand all the way, it was quite easy. Vaal Ground Slam is a great help in leveling quickly and picking up a Brutus' lead sprinkler at 28 will make life easy too. Elreon Jewelry as always is highly recommended.

Bandits - They are quite flexible so go with what you feel will be best for you but I went with:
Normal - Passive Point
Cruel - Attack Speed
Merciless - Passive Point

Discussion about gear:

Helm: Abyssus or Rat's Nest - Both are going to work great for the build. Wear a Rat's Nest if you want to be a bit safer but still add to your dps via the helm. Abyssus however will give you something like 2x your current damage without it and I believe even though it weakens your phsyical defense by 40-50%, it increases your survivability by letting you completely 1 shot or freeze anything of any danger to you so it never even has a chance to fight back.

Chest: Daresso's Defiance, Belly of the Beast, Lightning coil - My personal preference is Daresso's Defiance. This chest grants you extra dodge, some life, an important amount of phys life leech, really nice evasion/armor and on top of that you get endurance charges which are almost always full for when you get hit and a nice dps boost when being attacked.

Weapon: Rare Scepter with crit/high phys, Doryani's Catalyst - Doryani's Catalyst is going to get your build off the ground very well and any roll will perform well but the high phys rolls will be best. The problem with the mace is the somewhat low crit so you'll be sitting at 50-60 crit rather than 70-80 because of this mace. The dps however will still be good, just less consistent because of lower crit.
You really want to aim for a high phys dps scepter with a high crit roll and good attack speed. This may sometimes be too much to ask for so Doryani's works as a great substitute. If you don't have access to a 280+ pdps scepter with crit then stick to Doryani's in my opinion.

Offhand: Ungil's, Rare dagger or Soul Taker - Ungil's is the best starter weapon to go with in your offhand. Since we attack strictly with the main hand your offhand is purely there as a stat stick. Ungil's provides 90% global crit and some DW block. After that your next best choice is a rare Kris type dagger with 80% implicit global crit and some phys % life leech rolled onto it, a master crafted critical multi roll and other things like accuracy, resists, stun duration, can all be useful.
The best offhand however is Soul Taker. With using this you free up the blood magic gem slot and can replace it with Critical Strikes support gem which will grant you the largest crit gain possible from an offhand. On top of that you no longer waste life when attacking.

Gloves: Rare gloves, Maligaro - Life, attack speed, accuracy, resists. You'll need a gear slot for 3 blue 1 red and gloves would be a good option to do it in. Maligaro are better dps wise by a good bit but are hard to recolour like that. Maligaro are pretty important in getting your crit up higher so they are recommended.

Boots: Rare boots - Movement speed, life, resists, strength. Movement speed is pretty nice to have but if you choose to travel purely by whirling you can skip that.

Belt: Rare leather belt or Rustic - Life, resists, Wed if possible. A high amount of WED here will add some dps but this is primarily a defensive slot for us. Good resists/life are the most important part.

Rings: Diamond rings - Life, Phys dmg, Accuracy, resists. The more you want on your rings the harder to find and more expensive they will be. Some high accuracy is recommended followed by life, phys damage and resists.

Amulet: Rare Amulet - Crit Multi, Life, Crit chance, Accuracy, Phys dmg, resists. Amulet is a large dps slot and phys, crit and Crit Multi will give substantial dps boosts. Try to get at least crit multi.

Your Main Ground Slam setup:
- In the final 6L I have chosen to go with Ground Slam + Melee Physical + Multistrike + Faster Attacks + Critical Strikes + Increased Area/Conc effect.
- Before using Soul Taker your setup will have Blood Magic in place of Critical Strikes
- The 6th link in your setup is Increased Area. Swap in Conc Effect for high life bosses and tougher fights that require more dps.
- Crit Mutli, Phys to Lightning, Weapon Ele Dmg, all have their place in the setup if built slightly differently. They aren't very useful or optimal in my setup so they are not used.

Getting Power Charges:
- As with many of my characters now the way to sustain power charges is through Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark (20q) + Reduced Mana.
- This setup won't be giving you power charges on strictly single target boss fights but should keep you at max charges throughout mapping
- Use Power Charge on Crit in your main setup if you would rather consistent charges.

Dealing With Reflect:
- My original plan was to have Vaal Pact and try to run a fair bit of physical leech %.
- As of this point and 80k dps on Ground Slam with AoE gem I still don't feel the need to get it.
- I deal with reflect by having 5% phys leech from Daresso chest + Blood Drinker on top of some decent armor % mitigation, evasion and dodge. The biggest help is Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call. This prevents you from 1 shotting yourself to reflect.
- With this setup I don't die to reflect ever playing solo but if you party a lot then investing in Vaal Pact may be for you.
- Ele Reflect is more dangerous for me right now and I deal with it by going slower on the larger ele packs as well as using topaz/ruby/sapphire flask.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Last edited by Mathil on Aug 5, 2015, 10:28:37 AM
Last bumped on Mar 15, 2016, 10:09:29 AM
Yolo zonkd, ty for build !

Thanks Mathil, Finally the build is set.
Last edited by Mutante on Feb 9, 2015, 12:06:46 PM
Video is finally up. Had processing issues.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Thank for posting

for 5L
Ground Slam + Melee Physical + Multistrike + Faster Attacks + Blood magic?
Hey,

I will start a character with this build today.
Browsing for ideas for offhand weapons and prismatic eclipse got me intrigued.

Do you think 18% accuracy rating + 8% chance to block and 36% global attack speed (3 green sockets) or 75% physical damage with weapons (3 red) would be better than ungil's crit chance? As I understand wording those all are global bonuses, not local for prismatic eclipse.

Thanks for another great build, keep them coming! :)
Last edited by MaSterX_BG on Feb 5, 2015, 8:56:14 AM
"
Mutante wrote:

Hello Mathil, this is my current gear on torment but i feel my dps so low and having problem against

physical reflect, would you recommend anything for me please? Thank you! I love this build.

Maybe your main hand has too low dps compared to mathils?
This build is realy nice as we can see Mathils videos,but you need to have that "mace" that Mathils have.
First, thanks for this awesome tutorial/guide. I love your videos and your guide. I can't wait to try something else you recommend.

Second, what do you mean by "Elreon Jewelry as always is highly recommended." I'm not sure if I'm searching the right stuff. All that comes up for Elreon Jewelry is magic, and I'm not sure of the important part of any of them. They seem to be pretty random. Can you further explain this?

Thanks.
"
Airtaz wrote:
First, thanks for this awesome tutorial/guide. I love your videos and your guide. I can't wait to try something else you recommend.

Second, what do you mean by "Elreon Jewelry as always is highly recommended." I'm not sure if I'm searching the right stuff. All that comes up for Elreon Jewelry is magic, and I'm not sure of the important part of any of them. They seem to be pretty random. Can you further explain this?

Thanks.

What u need is this

Last edited by commonjunks on Feb 5, 2015, 9:17:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info