Tips for farming / Magic Finding

There is zero question that maps are better than Dom runs. Maps have more monsters grouped together which means you kill far more monsters per minute, they are better quality monsters like blue packs, rares, rogues, beyond monsters, and you're doing it in areas that have implicit increased Item Quantity.

There's no debate people, maps are better. It's basic math and common sense.

Now, if you want to debate running 68-70 maps vs running 71-74 maps vs 75-78 maps, that's questionable. I would say then it depends on the strength of your character. Killing fast in the end matters most, so if you don't have a strong character, you'd be better off in 68-70 maps. If you do, upping the map level would yield better long term results.

The key to farming isn't a mystery. Kill more, kill faster, do it in areas with implicit item quantity, and rinse repeat. That's maps.

Do whatever map level you can clear fast, ALC and go.

Last edited by VixTrader on Jan 31, 2015, 10:21:38 AM
Open 300 ALT Farming Challenge:

You do DOM runs only, starting with:

- Empty inventory besides 1 orb from each type for ease of stacking
- 1 x Lvl 1 / 20 Quality gem so we can measure experience gained

* When you hit 300 ALTS you stop the clock and whatever is in your inventory is your value.

I do MAP runs only, starting with:

- 30 maps
- 30 Alcs
(I will of course deduct the value of the Alcs and maps from my total inventory value at the end)

* When I hit 300 ALTS I stop the clock and that's my inventory value

** Video the whole thing to keep it honest

As far as the Chaos recipe it's up to you. We can do it one of two ways:

a) We use the chaos recipe as we go
b) We can just keep rings and amulets in chest and add them up at the end since they are usually what is the hardest to accumulate.

In the interest of speed, I suggest we just keep the rings/amulets and count that way.

As far as items go, I suggest we just ignore them because it's all pretty random in a 300 ALT run. But of course if you prefer to include them we can, I'm easy.

As far as Chance orbs, we can either start with the same amount, or we can just ignore them and Chance anything we come across as we normally would.

As far as experience goes, we use the Lvl 1 gem to measure it. Remember map runners get to sell a bunch of 20/20 gems every once in a while which adds up to many Exalts, but it takes forever to level a gem to 20/20 running Dom. This alone is reason enough to fun maps. Do you know how many 20/20 gems I sell in a month? It very likely by itself adds up to more value than your entire Dom inventory.

I'd be willing to do this vs anybody, with any character you have. I'd also be willing to do it for free, or gamble as many as 5 EX's on the outcome.

Any takers, or are we just going to continue to argue about what ifs? :)
Last edited by VixTrader on Jan 31, 2015, 11:32:07 AM
Well it's hardly about the alts is it? :/ When I'm lazy doing Dom runs I don't even make any alts cuz unid Chaos recipes.

If it's actually about currency then it will be exalt vs exalt, but you won't get any reliable info on that because RNG is so prevalent so this challenge is kinda pointless.

In any case, experience and getting a character high up to make the levelling gainz is always my highest prio, I see dom farming as kind of a waste of time when you could level and make currency at the same time.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jan 31, 2015, 11:14:25 AM
Of course it's not about the ALTS, that's just how we know when to stop dude :) I've done dozens of 300 ALT runs, probably 50 at least. I just do 300 ALTS because it's an easy way to measure. We will of course be adding up inventory value in EX's / Chaos

"
When I'm lazy doing Dom runs I don't even make any alts cuz unid Chaos recipes.

Do whatever you want to maximize your value, i'll do the same

"
I see dom farming as kind of a waste of time when you could level and make currency at the same time.

well yeah no shit, that's what I've been saying the whole time. Apparently though there's an army of Dom runners who think otherwise.

I guess they don't see value in things like this:

I didn't get those by running F'ing DOM ! :)

Last edited by VixTrader on Jan 31, 2015, 11:33:42 AM
You're ignoring items so literally that says bye to all 5c trades which when I'm hardcore mapping, I usually have to trade every 20 mins or so for 5-20 chaos deals which imho is most of my currency gain.

Just sayin, unfair challenge :P
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jan 31, 2015, 11:17:10 AM
Dude, I'm doing this because at the end of it, it's going to be SO PAINFULLY obvious which one is better.

Hell, we can do it 5 times if people like, doesn't matter to me. Takes no time at all in mapping to do a 300 ALT run.

What about ppl that make ~ 20 alts per single dominus run... With legacy iiq gear you get shit ton of everything from rares to 2-5 uniques depending on luck.

Run two clients one with disgustingly geared mfer and other huge dps char.

Im running dual dtriker with 150k dps and 150/410 mfer run takes around 3 min which gives 60/3 = 20 * 20 = 400 alts per hour with other person as pick seller. Make it half when im lazy and dont count high uniques that drop once per 20-40 runs.

200 alts per hour + other income. And still its nothing when you just start to flip. Best way to get rich fast is to accumulate "somehow" 50 ex and start to flip shit. In a month you will be swimming in exalts from ppl farming in a described by me way.

Every newer player if just wants to gear ONE char with decent gear doesnt have to do anything. Most budget builds are viable with 1-3 ex. If you want to play in big league, then you have to farm till your eyes bleed or be extreamly lucky with 5 shavs in row or flip the shit out of economy.

GGG didn't make the system so it's enjoyable getting to faceroll bracket. You are supposed to play and pay for mtxs for a year to get remotely rich by farming.
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
"
VixTrader wrote:
Open 300 ALT Farming Challenge:

You do DOM runs only, starting with:

* When you hit 300 ALTS you stop the clock and whatever is in your inventory is your value.

I do MAP runs only, starting with:

- 30 maps
- 30 Alcs
(I will of course deduct the value of the Alcs and maps from my total inventory value at the end)

* When I hit 300 ALTS I stop the clock and that's my inventory value

** Video the whole thing to keep it honest

As far as the Chaos recipe it's up to you. We can do it one of two ways:

a) We use the chaos recipe as we go
b) We can just keep rings and amulets in chest and add them up at the end since they are usually what is the hardest to accumulate.

In the interest of speed, I suggest we just keep the rings/amulets and count that way.

As far as items go, I suggest we just ignore them because it's all pretty random in a 300 ALT run. But of course if you prefer to include them we can, I'm easy.

As far as Chance orbs, we can either start with the same amount, or we can just ignore them and Chance anything we come across as we normally would.

As far as experience goes, we use the Lvl 1 gem to measure it. Remember map runners get to sell a bunch of 20/20 gems every once in a while which adds up to many Exalts, but it takes forever to level a gem to 20/20 running Dom. This alone is reason enough to fun maps. Do you know how many 20/20 gems I sell in a month? It very likely by itself adds up to more value than your entire Dom inventory.

I'd be willing to do this vs anybody, with any character you have. I'd also be willing to do it for free, or gamble as many as 5 EX's on the outcome.

Any takers, or are we just going to continue to argue about what ifs? :)

I'm game but won't have a single large enough chunk of time to do this for a couple weeks....

I would suggest counting the number of uniques, but not the value of uniques. Number of uniques dropped is fairly predictable in either case (mapping or dom) based on your IIR/IIQ, but the value of them is just "RNG is RNG".
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Jan 31, 2015, 5:37:31 PM
Not sure why he's so stubborn on his opinion that maps are better than Dominus when strictly talking about currency returns.

If you take a really well organized/strong/fast group into a high level map (75+ for this example) how long does it take you to clear that map? Lets say 5-8 minutes for sake of argument. Then you leave each map with only 1 inventory full of gear for each person in the group. We'll just skip the fact that you're also spending currency a lot of times to do high level maps ...

You take that same group into a split run Dominus party and you'll be able to finish all 5 runs in the same (or much less in most cases) time and leave with 5 inventories full. Then you also have 5 open instances (simply have to refresh each TP) in which you can go back and pick up more inventories full of gear to sell. Conveniently all that loot is also piled up in a nice easy bundle to sort through.

A full MF culler is easy to carry in Dominus and he's dead weight in a high level map group.

Sure the maps are more varied/interesting to play and you get experience but if you're only in the group to make currency you don't care about xp or fun, you're focused on maximizing currency returns. I just don't see how 1 inventory of gear can compete with 5-10 inventories in the same amount of time?

"
Not sure why he's so stubborn on his opinion that maps are better than Dominus when strictly talking about currency returns.

Because it is, period. And I challenge anybody here to a timed competition. 5 EX to anybody who can beat me in currency running just DOM. LOL !

Here's my last 300 ALT run:

Time: 2:47:00
Maps: 29 (72-74)

Alts: 306
Alcs: 24 (I used 29 for the run, so lost 5 alc value overall)
Chromes: 114
Jewellers: 87
Chance: 31
Chisels: 7
Bauble: 4
Blessed: 2
Fusing: 14
Chaos: 7
Regal: 2
Scouring: 5
Vaal: 9
Regrets: 5
GCP: 1
Divine: 1
EX: 0

Superior Gems: 6 for a total of 55%

Maps: 42
- 5 of them higher level than any that I ran during the 29 set I started with
- 9 of them lower level than any that I started with
- Net result is earnings of about 25 chaos in map value

UNID rings: 14
UNID amulets: 9
UNID belts: 14

Uniques dropped: 12
Items I kept: (worthless, but I stash items like this just in case future chars need testing)

I'm also leveling 12 gems, 6 on switch and 6 in my armor:

I'll leave it up to you guys to add up the EX / Hour

Again, any takers on my 5 EX challenge, sack up !
Last edited by VixTrader on Feb 1, 2015, 5:49:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info