[1.3] The Return of the Frozen Orb Sorc | Budget Three Dragons Ball Lightning Freezer

Welcome Wraeclast Wanderers, it's r4wb1rd again...

Prefix

The Diablo 2 Frozen Orb Sorc is back! And that thanks to the theorycrafting efforts of players I want to thank and mention: NoLifeNiffler (without his 300% proj speed spark video I wouldn't get the idea to create a lightning freeze char), Ghudda for his Herald Bomber video (I stole the Asenath's idea from him) and of course InsaneMfB since he is the original build guide poster of the Ball Lightning + Three Dragons + Herald of Ice + Pyre dream combo.

I didn't know how many ideas I unintentionally "copied" tbh, since I only saw NoLifeNifflers proj speed spark video and thought it would be cool to play this. I never played a sparker and wanted to try it finally. Especially since everyone says spark is dead. Well .. sadly it is! The D2 Frozen Orb Sorc works way better with Ball Lightning and by the time I found that out by experimenting myself I also discovered that InsaneMfB did the same thing already back in 2014 ;) so again, no new fancy stuff here, but stay with me since I added three new aspects to this build which was originally intended to be a glass canon:

1. I made it non-crit (yes, sounds stupid, but works^^)
2. I managed to build it suitable for hardcore
3. I'm squeezing every bit of whacky mechanical twists out of Three Dragons and the Heralds I can think of

Build Synergies

"Clever use of game mechanics"

In PoE more often then not power comes by combining things that seem weak on it's own. Here we go:

The The Three Dragons unique helmet has the following important stats:

• Your Fire Damage can Shock but not Ignite
  • Your Cold Damage can Ignite but not Freeze or Chill
  • Your Lightning Damage can Freeze but not Shock

There are two important twists to those mechanics:

1. Even though your lightning damage now freezes you're still dealing lightning damage! This is no damage conversion whatsoever!
2. Even though your lightning damage freezes, the chance to freeze is depending on your characters chance to freeze and not as you may think on your chance to shock.

This makes skill choices and passives a bit harder because for the best effect you want to have max lightning damage and max chance to freeze which means you would have to branch out to freeze and lightning wheels in the tree.

The decision to not go crit makes it even harder! Why? Well, even if you have 30% chance to freeze and use a skill like Ball Lightning which ticks very, very often, you will not freeze if you deal little to no damage. The Wiki says: "Base freeze duration is 10.00 seconds times the proportion of the target's effective maximum life dealt. The base duration is capped at a third of this value (3.33 seconds). If the duration would be below 0.3 seconds, the freeze effect is not applied"

This is exactly the reason why lightning is better for freezing than cold damage, because you can reach a higher top end damage. But since we're non-crit we have to find a way to get our damage up high through other means than just crit multi.

I'm achieving this through scaling of spell damage, elemental damage, cast speed and lightning penetration. But with my shitty gear that's not enough. Celestial Punishment grants 25% damage agains frozen enemies but I have to get them frozen first.

So let's add another 50% increased damage through shock, shall we? Well - for shock we need FIRE damage (see Three Dragons again). Originally I thought of using a fireball trap with chance to ignite but of course I don't need ignite chance I need shock chance!

But here's the thing: since Herald of Ash doesn't do a thing for casters, I instead used Herald of Ice. This would deal cold damage. Then I use the unique ring Pyre to convert all the cold damage to fire damage (which can now shock). In addition to that I link Herald of Ice to a 20 quality Added Lightning damage - the quality provides 10% chance to shock. The 13–238 lightning damage cannot shock but freeze, so it's just the added 10% shock chance that's important. I have another 25% chance to shock from the tree which brings the total chance to shock up to 35%.

It should be noted that it's not the added fire damage from Herald of Ice on my Ball Lightning that can apply the shock! Since Ball Lightning has only a damage effectiveness of 30% the fire damage is only around 50 per cast and again this is not enough to go over the shock duration threshold of any mob.

It is actually only the Herald of Ice explosion of a shattered enemy that triggers a shock. That being said, when the first mob of a map you encounter is a rare devourer or an exile, you're screwed :) But if it's any generic white or blue mob, it will get frozen by your lightning damage. Then it will shatter. Herald of Ice will trigger. The ice exlosion will be 100% converted to fire and will have a 35% to shock.

And guess what: to increase freeze duration I use Herald of Thunder with Lightning Penetration. The Herald of Thunder buff goes off if I kill a shocked enemy (so basically on every white mob). Once it's running, the lightning strikes from above will then again have a chance to freeze (because it's lightning damage) and the Penetration will dramatically increase the freeze duration because the mob takes way more damage this way.

And as icing on the cake we're dual cursing with Elemental Weakness and Temporal Chains - which makes the freeze/shock lasting even longer. Basically forever.

This mechanic is so strong that if you have only packs of white mobs you can stop casting Ball Lightning. Herald of Thunder and Herald of Ice will self sustain each another. You just need to run and watch everything shatter :D

This is the first char where Devourer maps are fun - because they are frozen when they pop up, unable to deal even their intial pop-up damage ;)

tl;dr

With this build and Three Dragons, Ball Lightning has 30% chance to freeze and it does through high spell/lightning damage, Elemental Weakness and Lightning Penetration. Herald of Ice linked with 20q added lightning and Pyre will make the frozen enemy explode in 100% pure fire damage which has 35% to shock. Herald of Thunder with Lightning Penetration will trigger by that and provide more freezing through the lightning strikes. Temporal Chains keeps them frozen forever.

Passives

This progression is a general advice. Based on your feedback I will switch routes a bit. My leveling tree looked drastically different (since the build evolved during leveling resulting in spending tons of regrets to fix things) and this allowed me to go Three Dragons at around level 55. With the guide below I advise to switch to Three Dragons around level 60 and go dual cursing around 76 which is a bit later than what I did but it should be fine.

Leveling Process

32 Points (Normal) - Go to Heart and Soul, then left to Lightning Walker. Pick EB, Dex and Written in Blood.

51 Points (Cruel) - Continue in the Shadow area until Coordination, then go left to Cruel Preparation and Deep Thoughts

68 Points (Merciless) - Pick Dex, Purity of Flesh and go into Templar to get Elementalist

Late Game

78 Points - (Level 60) - Get Discipline and Training, then go left over Devotion to Celestial Punishment - now you can switch to Three Dragons.

90 Points - (Level 72) - Get more life around Discipline and Training, then improve your freeze chance by picking Fingers of Frost and Breath of Rime.

103 Points (Level 85) - Get Whispers of Doom for dual cursing, then grab Sanctity and Retribution, continue with Amplify and finally get Breath of Lightning.

108 Points (Level 90) - Celestial Judgement and Storm Weaver finish the build.

Here's a graphical representation of how the leveling process looks like:

And for all who want to try this build in Softcore or have the budget to immunize themselves against reflect, here's a crit version of the finished tree:

Crit Tree

Level 90, 109 points spent on crit stuff

To make use of the Power Charges I suggest to exchange Faster Casting with Power Charge on Crit - not optimal but definitively better than using Assassin's Mark over Elemental Weakness. Using a Voll's Protector would also be an option, although you'd take a hit in terms of mana regeneration and survivability.

Bandit Choices

Normal: Kill Oak for the HP or kill all for an extra skill point on Softcore
Cruel: Kill Alira for 4% cast speed.
Merc: Kill all for an extra skill point

Gems

Except for Herald of Ice, Arctic Armour and the Cast when Damage Taken setup we're only utilizing blue gems. This means a lot of INT gear which is good since it fuels our mana pool twice (thanks to Eldritch Battery).

I should also note that this build is incredibly gem slot hungry. Your heralds and stuff will take up so many slots that there is barely room for any support skills or even a dedicated single target skill. Definitively a downside to this build.

AOE Main skill progression setup

Preferred link colors: BBBBB(R)

1. Start of with Lightning Tendrils, link it with Added Lightning and Lightning Pen when you can
2. Switch to Arc as soon as you get it
3. Add Spell Echo and swap Added Lightning with Faster Casting
4. When you have your Three Dragons, switch to Ball Lightning in a 5 link using:

Ball Lightning + Spell Echo + Faster Casting + Increased Area of Effect + Lightning Penetration

All support gems are incredibly beneficial for Ball Lightning since none of them are affected by the harsh 30% damage effectiveness penalty. Don't use added lightning, cold, chaos or whatever, it's just not worth it. Also don't use LMP/GMP - since a mob can only be hit every 200ms by a ball of one cast it's just terrible.

Spell Echo bypasses this restriction and mobs will be hit very, very often.

Faster Casting makes it even more ridiculous. And gives you mobility since your casts finish earlier.

Increased AoE makes it EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS - it basically turns Ball Lightning into Glacial Cascade^^

And finally Lightning Penetration is a massive boost in damage. Don't be fooled by the tooltip DPS not changing. Resistance penetration does not just lower the actual resists of mobs but also their max resist they can have.

If you can get your hands on a six link (I still dream of it) add Iron Will! You only have ~150 Strength from the tree but this alone will give you 30% increased spell damage which is a net gain of ~8% damage overall. The red socket is also useful to swap in a Life Leech gem in reflect maps.

Single Target setup

Erm, single target? There is no room for a single target skill - all your gem slots will be occupied to fuel the supercombo that gives you the shock/freeze dream combo.

In the early game you should use spark, position right in front of a mob and shotgun it with all three projectiles.

But at some point there will be no socket left, yet alone a four link to have a high damage spark or Vaal Stormcall. So face it, you have to AOE bosses down ;)

Auras and Buffs

Preferred link colors: BBR + GBR + BBR

Usually I have all of my Auras and Buffs in one 4 Link. Unfortunately for this build we need three 3L slots to make it work. And you also need 3 Reduced Mana gems. What a waste, I know. But it will be worth it.

Survivability (BBR) = Purity of Lightning + Clarity + Reduced Mana
This one is to make you less susceptible to reflect and fuels your Arctic Armor (which is one of the two defensive mechanisms you have versus physical damage)

The Shock Proc (GBR) = Herald of Ice + 20q Added Lightning Damage + Reduced Mana
Forget about the added damage to your Ball Lightning, what matters here is the explosion damage which will be 100% converted to fire thanks to Pyre which can then shock. The 20q Added Lightning brings the total shock chance up to 35%.

The Freeze Sustain (BBR) = Herald of Thunder + Lightning Penetration + Reduced Mana
Damage from Herald of Thunder gets quite high which makes Lightning Penetration the best support here. A 20q added cold would add 10% additional freeze chance but it's totally unnecessary. I also tried Elemental Proliferation and it works wonders for trash to proliferate to bosses but since trash shatters in a fraction of a second and shattered mobs don't leave a corpse, prolif becomes quite useless.

Curse setup

Preferred link colors: B

That was easy, right? Yes, we're not using Curse on Hit because we simply don't have the sockets to pull it off. We're old school manually casting Elemental Weakness. The 151 mana cost hurt but I tested it: it's better for overall socket usage to not go Ball Lightning + GMP + Curse on Hit + Elemental Weakness (which is your BBBG alternative to my B suggestion).

Temporal Chains does not need to be cast. This will be granted on hit by the gloves Asenath's Gentle Touch.

You can corrupt your Asenath's to hope for getting Elemental Weakness on Hit as implicit. With this you would have dual curse on hit but that's a rather rare corruption.

Alternatively you can use any other gloves and use Arc + Curse on Hit + Temporal Chains + Elemental Weakness but then you won't have enough sockets left for Arctic Armour, Lightning Warp etc...

Cast when damage taken setup

Preferred link colors: RRRR

As usual go for Cast when Damage Taken + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Increased Duration. This build has no physical mitigation apart from Arctic Armour and a Granite flask so the occasional phys immunity on incoming damage spikes helps a lot to stay alive.

Missing Links (additional gems)

We usually have ~4 open slots to fill and we need at least three of them:

Arctic Armour - we use Eldritch Battery and have a lot of mana regeneration. Since we don't have any other Armour it's a good idea to run this.

Lightning Warp - because we like to get around quickly

Smoke Mine - in my opinion a must for Strongboxes. Maybe it's just me but Lightning Warp is just too unreliable. Smoke Mine works always and blinds all mobs in addition to your safe escape.

The last open slot can be for a Vaal Gem. I currently use Vaal Haste for extra cast speed when fighting high HP mobs. Another option would be Vaal Storm Call but I haven't tried that yet. Since you don't have slots to support your Vaal skill it's kind of lackluster...

Quality Gems

If you have some spare currency or if you find a gemcutters box with quality, here's a list of gems for this build where quality is really good, medium good or not worth it. The order is from most to least important in my opinion:

Very usefull

Added Lightning Damage - 0.5% increased shock chance per 1% quality and when linked to Herald of Ice your character's chance to shock will go up from 25% to 35%. It's quite expensive to buy a 20q Added Lightning but it's noticably worth it.

Increased Area of Effect - 0.5% increased AoE per 1% quality - this means 43% instead of 33% increased AoE at 20/20 - huge boost!

Elemental Weakness - Cursed Enemies lose 0.4% Elemental Resistance per 1% quality - this is 8% reduction and brings the total reduction from 39% to 47% at 20/20q - an incredible damage booster!

Ball Lightning - 1% increased lightning damage (local) per 1% quality - scaling your base damage by 20% is a thing, pretty huge!

Faster Casting - 0.5% increased Cast Speed per 1% quality. This brings up the total cast speed increase from 39% to 49% at 20/20q - also very strong!

Herald of Thunder - 0.75% Increased Lightning Damage per 1% quality. This is 15% on 20q which is more than most passive points can offer. Since HoT has a very high damage it is well worth it!

Immortal Call - 0.2s increased duration per endurance charge (0.01 per 1% quality) (8q0 = 0.59s - this is 2,9s with 0q opposed to 3,9s with 20q using 3 charges and a lvl20 increased duration) - this is a massive qol improvment and survivability boost

Arctic Armour - 0.35% move speed per 1% quality, gives you 7% movespeed at 20q. Mobility is survivability!

Usefull but not mindblowing

Lightning Warp - 1.5% increased Cast Speed per 1% quality, so a 30% increase at 20q which helps to get around quicker. Since we don't have gemslots for reduced duration and faster casting it might be worth it.

Spell Echo - 0.5% increased Spell Damage per 1% quality so 10% increased at 20q which doesn't make up for the 10% less Spell Damage that the support suffers from. Since you can get this for a passive point it's not mindblowing.

Lightning Penetration - 0.5% increased Lightning Damage per 1% quality so 10% increased at 20q. Since you can get this for a passive point it's not mindblowing.

Herald of Ice - 0.75% Increased Cold Damage per 1% quality. This is 15% on 20q which is more than most passive points can offer. But since we deal mostly Lightning Damage we don't really need it but for increasing our shock duration by a little bit.

Enduring Cry - 10% increased area radius (0.5 per 1% quality)

Increased Duration - 10% increased duration (0.5 per 1% quality) (20q0 = 64% - this is 3.9s with 0q opposed to 4.1s with 20q using 3 charges and a lvl8q20 immortal call)

Not usefull at all

This build does not benefit from the quality of Reduced Mana, Clarity and Purity of Lightning and Cast When Damage Taken at all...

Quest Rewards - Gem picking

This build is pretty budget but still some gems have to be bought. Minimum requirement is the 20q Added Lightning Damage which costs around an exalt. If you have Gemcutter Prisms laying in your stash you can also buy a lower quality one (16-18) and do the rest with your GCPs.

Same costs apply for a 20q Increased Area of Effect gem which improves the clearspeed massively.

Quest Reward Gems

• Norm A1 Strand - Fire Ball
  • Norm A1 Hillock - Lightning Tendrils
  • Norm A1 Hailrake - Spark
  • Norm A1 Breaking Eggs - any
  • Norm A1 Brutus - Clarity
  • Norm A1 Merveil - Added Lightning Damage
  • Norm A2 Fidelitas - Arc
  • Norm A2 Weaver - any
  • Norm A3 Tolman - Herald of Thunder
  • Norm A3 General - Lightning Penetration
  • Norm A3 Library - Purity of Lightning
  • Cruel A1 Hillock - Ball Lightning
  • Cruel A1 Hailrake - Lightning Penetration
  • Cruel A1 Brutus - Lightning Warp
  • Cruel A1 Merveil - Reduced Mana
  • Cruel A2 Fidelitas - Faster Casting
  • Cruel A3 Tolman - Arctic Armor
  • Cruel A3 General - Reduced Mana
  • Cruel A3 Library - Elemental Weakness
  • Merc A1 Hailrake - Increased Area of Effect
  • Merc A1 Brutus - any
  • Merc A1 Merveil - Increased Duration
  • Merc A3 Library - Spell Echo

• Gems to look for in gemcutters boxes, to buy from poe.trade, trade chat or your masters:

[spoiler="Gems to purchase"]

• a third Reduced Mana
    • Herald of Ice
    • 20% quality Added Lightning Damage
    • Enduring Cry
    • Immortal Call
    • Cast when damage taken
    • Bone or Flesh Offering (totally optional)
    • Smoke Mine (totally optional)
    • Vaal Haste

[/spoiler]

[hr]

Gear

The following section is about general gearing advices. This section is also under construction, sorry - will update it as soon as I can!

[spoiler="Main hand"]
    Wand:
    Cast Speed, Spell damage, Mana, Mana regen. Open prefix for "1% of Lightning Damage Leeched as Life" (get it from Catarina level 6)

If you're rich unlike me, get a Doryani's Catalyst, this provides free Prolif for Herald of Thunder and also gives you 1% elemental leech wich is superior to just 1% lightning leech. This let's you leech off the Herald of Ice explosions as well.

A unique option for going crit is Divinarius - it synergizes very well with this build since it also offers AoE - but you sacrifice mana, mana regeneration and (most importantly!) lightning leech.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="Offhand"]
    ES Shield with Life, Resist, ES, Mana, Mana Regen.

If you can afford it and your resists are already overcapped, go for a Rathpith Globe.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="Belt"]
    Leather Belt with Life, Resist, ES.

If you're rich unlike me, get a Doryani's Invitation with Lightning Leech.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="Chestpiece"]
    5L or 6L high ES chest with Life, Resist, ES% and flat ES
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="Helmet"]
    The Three Dragons
    Gives you solid all resist and makes this build possible.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="Gloves"]
    Asenath's Gentle Touch
    Gives you temp chains on hit.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="Boots"]
    ES boots with 30% move speed, life, resists and ES if possible
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="The One Ring"]
    Pyre
    Gives good cold and fire resist and makes shocking with Herald of Ice and Three Dragons possible.
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler="Other Jewellery (Rings & Amulet)"]
    Go for Life, Resists, Cast Speed, Mana, Mana Regen and ES.
    [/spoiler]

Final notes about gear:

Through using Asenath's, Three Dragons and Pyre we sacrifice three gear pieces where we could get up to 100 max life on. This is a very, very harsh sacrifice and requires all other gear pieces to have life rolls as high as possible to even get close to 4k HP. The tree currently has 140% increased max life which is basically enough for HC but the real problem is the missing life rolls on all three uniques. But you know how it is: with great power comes great responsibility ;) play safe, exile!

[hr]

Flasks

This is a separate section from gear since flasks are incredibly important and need to have their own spot in this guide. Without the correct flasks this build is only half as good. Make constant use of them!

The flasks I'm using for leveling (meaning until I can equip Divine and Eternal flasks) are:

a) any Life Flask of Heat: to dispell freeze
    b) any Life Flask of Staunching: to remove bleed
    c) any Quicksilver of Warding: to dispell and be immune to curses
    d) any Granite of Iron Skin: to have evasion rating up as high as possible
    e) any Bubbling Life Flask of Grounding: as instant heal and to dispell shocks

In the endgame setup I try to have 20% quality of the following:

a) Saturated Eternal Life Flask of Heat: high, short duration heal, dispells freeze
    b) Ample Divine Life Flask of Adrenaline: even higher, long duration heal, many charges, some movespeed boost
    c) Ample Topaz of Warding: situational curse removal and reflect counter
    d) Ample Granite of Staunching: gives some physical mitigation makes you immune to Corrupting Blood
    e) Bubbling Divine Life Flask of Grounding: as instant heal and to dispell shocks

[hr]

Reflect

Since we're running a non-crit build we don't suffer from the reflect-one-shot-death-threat but we still want to take reflect seriously.

Elemental Reflect Rares
    Are not a problem since our leech can keep up with the reflected damage when there's no more than 10 or so mobs around. If it's more mobs you will see your health going down quite quickly. Depending on the number of additional mobs you hit you have between 2 and 3 seconds to react. Usually popping the Topaz helps to completely mitigate the threat. If you accidentally crit, you might have to pop a life flask as well.

Elemental Reflect Maps and Double Reflect
    I tried a low level reflect map once and noped out of it after the first two packs. Running ele reflect maps might be possible when you have 100% Topaz uptime but otherwise it's just to tense. That being said, I didn't even had the chance to test double reflect but it probably is very, very painful :D

Lightning Thorns
    This is similar to encountering an ele reflect rare, but with the danger multiplied by four. So your health goes down really quickly and your reaction time is between 0.5 to 0.75s or you're dead. Until now I only had occasions where one mob had LT, I guess if more mobs get the aura and you hit them with the same cast, you'll die instantly.

[hr]

Archenemies

This build, even though it carried me to 85 in HC (Bloodlines), is a bit squishy still and I had a lot of respect for a lot of mobs. Only cool thing: Devourers are an absolute joke! When you know you are in a Devourer map, just spam a ball while walking, so you're always walking "on top" of one of your balls. Devos will be insta-frozen the moment they pop up and they will never be able to deal damage to you. Also leaping Goatmen and Arctic Leapers are a joke since they will be frozen in the air before they can hit you.

But here come the real threats:

Anything that flickers - If you aggro a flicker mob he will be able to reach you before one of your balls can reach him. And since he blinks into your face you have no chance of freezing him before he hits you. And because we don't have much evasion he will hit us most likely. Biggest mega-threat here are Undying Grapplers with their Discharge skill. Bosses that flicker are also a big threat.

Anything that uses physical spells and casts - Here we have Undying Evangelists, EK users and bear trappers. Those spells and casts hit very hard and our Arctic Armor is pretty useless against it.

Anything that charges - Our lovely Rhoas and shield charging Blackguards. They are less dangerous than the two mob types above since they have a longer travel time and there's the chance that we can freeze them but IF one of them gets through, it can be lethal because we have physical mitigation only against small hits and no evasion whatsoever.

[hr]

Map Mods

I ran mostly blue maps with this character and I must admit that I spend more Alterations on maps than I wished for to get rid of "unpleasant" mods. There are a couple of them that are quite dangerous for this character. But overall mapping is super fun and the character had no problems to climb up all the way to 76 maps (I didn't get further because I reached 85).

Blood magic
    Nope, we need Mana for Arctic Armor, without we're just too squishy. We also need mana for our two Heralds, without them the character just doesn't work at all.

Phys Reflect
    We deal no physical damage. This mod is free quantity.

Ele Reflect
    Run only if you have a 6L and a 20q life leech gem. Even then watch out for double reflect and keep your Topaz up all the time if possible (maybe bring two and chain them).

No regen
    Nope, we need Mana Regen for Arctic Armor without we're just too squishy. We also have no other means of getting mana but killing mobs so most of the time we would just auto-attacking.

Half regen
    Again nope, because of Arctic Armor missing.

Fracture
    Very funny and totally safe. Also not really slower. Herald of Ice and Fracture go very well together.

Temporal Chains
    You can do it if you don't mind the slowness of everything. Can be lethal if you have leaper or charger, your reduced cast speed might result in not freezing them in time.

Enfeeble
    Annoying but manageable.

Vulnerability
    Dangerous but possible.

Elemental Weakness
    Depends on your overcapness. Dangerous but possible. Very dangerous when you encounter reflect!

Inhabitation
    Easy with everything, we love Devourers with this build.

Multiproj and chain
    Dangerous, especially with Porcupine explosions.

Monster Life, Monster Resists
    Annoying and noticeably slower to clear to since we won't freeze/shock that often as the larger effective health pool reduces our potential shock and freeze duration.

Ground effects
    Chilled is annoying since it has an impact on the cast speed, the rest is ok.

Poison on Hit
    This is as always dangerous when you encounter hard hitting mobs like Powerful Crit Whipping Miscreations, other than that it's manageable.

Beyond
    Yeah, more possible map drops :D

[hr]

Map Bosses

Also here I have to admit that I skipped quite a lot of bosses since it's impossible to freeze them due to their high life pool. The rule of thumb in HC for me was: can I kite and shoot? If yes, then kill. If no, then pussy out.

I found the following bosses especially dangerous for this build:

Jungle Valley Spider (and all other spiders that use either EK or flicker),
    Coves and Gorge bosses (The Kraityn guy, too much HP and too much flicker),
    Graveyard and Necropolis (Mr. Evil is Mr. Evil is Mr. Evil ... add on GMP and have fun dying)
    Maze (the lazer is a joke but the rocks can kill)
    Temple and Shrine (I know we have overcapped lightning res, but still ... it hurts too much)
    Crematorium (Arctic Armor doesn't help us here anymore)
    Precinct (manageable but very dangerous - one whip with her vulnerability can instagib you)
    Residence and Palace (the problem here is not so much the damage but the insane amount of time it takes to kill Dom)

Map bosses I haven't tried but I also consider dangerous are:
    Museum, Academy, Torture Chamber, Labyrinth and Villa

I know, this is quite a list. This pretty much shows how bad our single target is...

[hr]

Video URLs

[hr]

The End?

If you read this far: congratulations! This was a lot of ground to cover. It was certainly as fun to put this guide together as it was playing it. I will continue to work on this guide whenever new patches hit that will affect the build in any way.

If you want to see similar budget builds and PoE content, please check out my youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/r4wb1rdGaming/videos

If you want to see me playing live, head over to http://www.twitch.tv/r4wb1rd and hit the follow button to get notify when I'm going live. I'm a casual player, so don't expect me playing 8h a day, although I wish to do so ;)

Stay safe, exiles!
    r4wb1rd
  • ### r4wb1rd ###
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/r4wb1rd
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/r4wb1rdGaming/
    Babel PoE: https://github.com/rowolff/babel-poe/releases
    Last edited by r4wb1rd on Feb 12, 2015, 11:58:40 AM
    Frequently Asked Questions

Is this build HC viable

Yes. I played it in Bloodlines and had great fun. Since you don't have strong defenses such as dodge, evasion, block, spellblock or even armor your success lies in your reaction time, a strong offense and the ability to freeze everything. If you can't freeze a dangerous mob, run or portal out!

Can you show your gear?

Sure, it's really bad in my case but even this trash gear carried me all the way to level 85:

### r4wb1rd ###
    Last edited by r4wb1rd on Feb 12, 2015, 11:48:18 AM
    reserved
    ### r4wb1rd ###
    Nice build and very nice guide. Much appreciated :)

Moonsorrow might be a nice budget wand for this build. The blind on hit would add even more survivability :)
    "Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
    So we turned Gorge into a red map"
    Last edited by qwertz on Jan 24, 2015, 11:17:02 AM
    The build is neat, but the "final" tree has several mistakes.

Better version with more damage and survivability:

Spoiler
    http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QIHpf6zAuNXK0myvYIsnG0ZEFgI9HYRwFTk7GpDMjQfAgQHg9tVxjpYrJh0VffXEQ9fKpuhfq9MLXgvj0a1hY0ZF1QUsBhqHRTvUOASnwGCHnzl-tLBtNlf0eSIQtsLWAdmnhZvLX3djI2CwcXAGiSq42pT1H_G7BhxhRo4Nul-WRGWN4HMt5BVDkgHHlKy5OvVdScvXfLjhJUu41axQuw4fjM2PfDV2rmCm6SRnapJUUbXmjsTnmKsbIzhc-08jDaiANWmVUvwHwSzYeLAZiaVFr9o8g==

Anyways, I wouldn't call this build hardcore viable, when it has 160% increased maximum life and no way to use a cloak of defiance.
    Last edited by H4NS on Jan 24, 2015, 4:26:20 PM
    Your leveling tree is broken.
    Very interesting. Might try this out.
    Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
    Remove 4 points! 3x 10int & 1x 10str. Now you can get Coldhearted Calculation!

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMEswceB6UI9A5IEFgRDxGWE54UsBZvFr8XVBhqGjgabBvxJKomlScvLJwtfTbpN4E6WEbXSVFJskwtUrJT1FVLVcZXK1gHXfJh4mjyakNrF20ZcYV2EXgvfA58S3zlfjN-WX6vfsd_xoIQgh6Cm4PbiEKMNo2Cj0aQVZUglS6WdJo7m6Gdrp8BogCkkacIrJixQrWFvOq9gsAawFTAZsG0wcXB88y30eTVddWm2rna3dsL34rfsOFz41bjauQi5Ovli-kC7BjsOO0871DwH_DV99f-sw==

Unless you rly rly rly need that 10str node... lol

p.s. I also saved you a node over in the templar tree.
    Last edited by IVIrPorter on Jan 25, 2015, 6:34:46 AM
    "
    IVIrPorter wrote:
    Remove 4 points! 3x 10int & 1x 10str. Now you can get Coldhearted Calculation!

[...]

Unless you rly rly rly need that 10str node... lol

p.s. I also saved you a node over in the templar tree.

That are very good suggestions ... I will see what I can do in terms of regrets. Also, what about this (following your ideas):

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQ6QIHpf6zAuNXK0myvYIsnG0ZEFgI9HYRwFRqQ7zqaxeVIMHzgh4UsIhC2wtMLcHFF1QRD3_G7BifAX6vrJh-WRGWN4HR5LWF99c6WA5IBx5SsuTrjYLvUJuhVcZd8pUu41ZT1MG0eC-PRoPbfjPw1S19GGqnCKSRSVF85drdna4TnlgHGmzli4w2NunkIhvxVUskqtWmfsdh4hZv7TwmleNqmjsWv-FzgpuiAOw48B8EsycvaPLAZpBVGjjAGnGFzLfVdbFC2rlG13RVXyo8Be98
    ### r4wb1rd ###
    Last edited by r4wb1rd on Jan 25, 2015, 8:49:31 AM
    Your leveling tree is still broken, could you provide a fix please? <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info