[NO REFUND] Dyadian Dawn returns!

Latest Update:
Alright you handsome / pretty people. Was told that no refund would be allowed (understandably). Thanks to Chris' help (he apparently had addressed it even before seeing this forum thread), I finally managed some good progress on the unique.

Had an IM chat with Rory for about 90 minutes earlier this week and we agreed on the following:

Dyadian Dawn
Heavy Belt
Ignites from attacks burn x% faster
x% life leech against chilled enemies
x - y% fire res
x - y% cold res
x-y life
You cannot deal Physical Damage

Points to note:
- We took only 90 minutes because most of it was already agreed on beforehand with over a year of haggling and headscratching
- This has gone to balance and may change slightly / drastically / not at all.
- The first affix may be replaced with something else as there's a risk it might be too powerful with Charan's Goddess Scorned, etc
- The original downside of enemies under ignite / chill being able to cause that ailment on you was canned because it was viewed as more of an upside when paired with stuff like Mokou's Embrace (and other upcoming uniques)
- I MIGHT ask for the current downside to apply to attacks only, so that the belt could be used for, say, Glacial Cascade or EK+Hatred casters. Not too fussed about it though and wouldn't demand for that if it required me nerfing the other affixes

Those new to the thread can see the whole story below.

Spoiler

As some of you might know, I'm the creator of Dyadus. I do come on to the forums every once in a blue moon and have a thread on my unique in the signature below.

I had been working on a sequel to Dyadus for a while now, Dyadian Dawn (name credit goes to my awesome guildies). Description of Dyadian Dawn can be found in the video link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unM_U-4D4_o#t=11m16s
EDIT: realised I linked to the wrong time marker. Fixed it.

To those who were looking forward to it, (maybe there aren't many but what the hey) here's an update. This morning, I sent to GGG the following email.

Guys, actually, is it possible to just get a refund on the unique design? You guys are clearly inundated. it's been almost a year and a half of just chasing for updates from my side, which I feel bad about each time I send, and I still feel like I've made zero headway in the unique. I'm not enjoying the process anymore. I believe I had a separate payment for the unique so getting that back would be great. I know you guys did put in some effort into the unique so if you feel like you need to reduce the refund somewhat, that would be cool as well.

I probably am being a little bit of a prima donna so I apologize to the whole GGG crew for that. I know you guys are crazy busy and what I'm asking for probably isn't fair to you. The best way forward is probably just for me to get a partial refund and we all go our own happy separate ways :)

You kind readers do deserve some form of context behind my refund request so I'll try to summarise my experience with Dyadian Dawn. Note it's my view of events and I definitely don't have the full picture so apologies to anyone involved if I've misconstrued anything.

Attempt 1

- Being incredibly happy with my experience in creating Dyadus (yes, it's not the super unique everyone wants, but flavour-wise it's exactly what I wanted), I got myself another pack and unique. This was on November 2013

- I send a note out with my initial idea of a helm that does lots more melee damage but adds a short less damage stackable debuff per hit (ie: supports big slow hits as fast hits would stack too much damage debuffs). As a downside, the item would also cause you to deal no damage through auras (from both you and your party's auras

- GGG replies saying they like the idea but can't do the aura bit as there's another upcoming unique with that. As for the damage buff/debuff, they suggested having it as a new Support Gem and the unique has the gem as an affix.

- This of course hypes me to no end. We communicate a bit and I give it tonnes of thought including some calculations and come up with ideas around the support gem affix unique (with a helm option and a chest option) by mid December

Attempt 2

- January. No luck. GGG doesn't want stackable buffs on support gems. They suggest a Scold's Bridle type effect (high damage buff but you cause damage to yourself). While I liked it, it wasn't the flavour i wanted of having big hits (as can be seen with Scold's Bridle builds not caring about attack/cast speeds anyway)

- I say ok to their suggestion regardless, and also ask if they can consider having the melee damage buff on the item but limit APS as a downside (instead of just taking damage) as an alternative.

Attempt 3

- No luck again. GGG now says there's a skill gem coming up that rewards slow big hits already so they don't want any too powerful bonuses. And they don't want to limit APS due to too many horrible implications. They now suggest an item that just applies a new DOT debuff similar to ignite.

- I say nope no thanks that's not the "big heavy hits" thing I've been looking for.

- GGG says how about a counterattack with socketed gems mechanic

- I say nope no thanks that's not the "big heavy hits" thing I've been looking for. It's clear to me that idea ain't working (despite earlier assurances otherwise) so I said I'll rethink the whole thing and come back to them.

Attempt 4

- February. I suggest a unique that reduces elemental resistances of both your character AND enemies near your character. Big damage boost for ele melee characters but will need to be built around due to the downside

- I send a few chasers as the correspondence from GGG dropped significantly (perhaps they were as tired of my unique as I was. heh!)

Attempt 5

- 31 March, I give up waiting and send yet another idea that I thought would be easy and simple. I take what's essentially Doryani's Invitation and put it on a helm. To add a little more Dyadian flavour, I have it such that Endurance Charges gives fire damage and leech while Frenzy charges give cold damage and leech.

- GGG replies stating they like the Endurance / Frenzy charges item. They'd rather have it as a belt as they have too many helms. On the old idea of reduced elemental resistances, idea is far too powerful and would rather have it as Elemental Weakness applied on hit or as an aura.

- I'm ok to go with the belt idea.

- Cue chasers.

- End April, GGG tweaks it a little to shorten the affixes (by removing the charge requirement from leech)

- I'm ok with their suggestion. And also give instructions on art.

- Cue more chasers. (Yes, I know, I'm an annoying twat)

- JULY. They come back asking if I want is as a Leather Belt or a Heavy Belt. I say leather belt's fine. YAY! Concept art options! I choose the one that I like.

- By this point, I've just given up on chasers.

- SEPTEMBER, finally caving in, I send a chaser and send flavour text suggestions (Thanks again to BLOW!)

- Mid Sep, GGG replies saying they're concerned my item is too much like Doryani's invitation... and want me to relook at it by maybe nerfing some parts. (but wait! wasn't it they who asked for it to be a belt at first?)

Attempt 6

- End Sep. Fine. Tired as hell, I'll take one last go at this. I rethink the thing and ask for a belt that faster burning damage and gives block against chilled enemies (ie: fire gets an offense boost while cold gets a defensive boost)

- End October. More concept art. GGG says they like the idea but it's too powerful. They give ideas to nerf it such as replacing block with leech or - x physical damage taken per attack from chilled enemies.

- November. Refusing to let my item be nerfed (a mistake I learnt from Dyadus), I instead suggest adding downsides to counter balance. These were "ignited enemies have a chance to ignite you" and "chilled enemies have a chance to chill you".

Huh?!

- Early November GGG says someone else has taken over designing my unique and they'll get back to me

- Early December, still no news from the person taking over. I send a chaser and ask if the new person needs an update of what has occurred so far.

- New person then replies saying he's not looking into my unique, and it should still be the old guy handling it. They'll rush through 1.3.0 and they'll check who I should be working with and get back to me.

- End Jan 2015. Still no news. I haven't sent any chasers. Just sent the email above. I'll check my email when I'm home tonight. Will see what they say then.

Happy to hear your views!

Was I being a twat? (Yes, I can take the abuse if you have any to dish)
If you have a unique in line, are you being treated similarly? Better? Or worse?
Should I ask for a refund?
Should I persevere?
Or just give up on the item?
Perhaps I should donate it to someone more deserving? If it's a guildie, I'd immediately say Sayya. If it's a streamer (who probably will get much more attention on their unique), then maybe Pohx?

Last edited by Support on Jan 25, 2015, 1:18:31 AM
Bummer. =-[.]-=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
You really gave it your all, what else could you do at this point. Totally understandable. :(
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

I don't think asking for a refund is unreasonable. I have no idea if they will even consider doing that (as a company it would probably just make sense for them to have a "no" policy on that) but I certainly don't think you're being unreasonable.

Even if they came through for you now, it doesn't sound like you'd be getting the item you had a vision of in the first place anyways.

best of luck.
+1 Shavs Project -----> /1075009
+1 Acuity Project ----> /990159
#1 6 t1 Wand FOE BITE (5 perfect mods) SOLD /1031745
The Tale of Foe Bite --->>> http://tinyurl.com/o6ox7an
Last edited by JakeAlmighty on Jan 19, 2015, 10:25:18 PM
Over an entire year waiting is unacceptable in my opinion. I fully support GGG and believe in them, but this sounds like really bad customer service.
GGG is in the process of folding. It's clear to me, as I've seen other companies pretty much acting the same way. Pity.
Not happy about this.

I liked the idea to reward slow big hit and the charges leech idea... why did they have to be removed...

Wonder what gem are they talking about... and why couldnt the helm just be supported by a LvL X of such gem. The part about them not wanting the belt to be like doryani belt when they are the ones that suggested is really...

Guess they must be so busy they end up forgetting part of the conversation
Oblivious
Darn
To Do List:
-Add Better Minion Supports
-Add More Permanent Minions
GoreFleshSummoner | Low Life Zombie n' Specter Summoner
Summoner Gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1633760
They didn't officially promise any "deadline" for when the uniques would be implemented. They have thus honored their part of the contract.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
What GGG is doing is silly. They have enough players who understand the dynamics of the games in order to take in "interns" who can handle things like helping people design their supporter uniques.

It's just bad organization on their part. It doesn't have to cost them any money to get this done. People like Ziggy D would probably love to make "Watch us Design a PoE Unique" part of their streams.

They could get this work done through crowd sourcing, for free. And streamers would get streaming money from people watching who want to be a part of it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info