[NO REFUND] Dyadian Dawn returns!

"
I know at least one diamond designer was being considered for a job, but couldn't move to NZ.

That's the key. I think quite a few of us would work for GGG (some wouldn't even need to be paid) if not for the physical distance.

Expansion is one of the company's biggest problems.

Recently we've had better luck with hiring people and there are a lot of new faces who are learning how things work and getting up to speed. This is both vital for the Act Four push and for getting through supporter Uniques.

I've been trying to put more resources towards the Unique guys, but they're still really swamped. The unique discussed in this thread is an unfortunate example of one where the process hasn't gone quickly. We had a meeting about it today and I'm pretty optimistic about it now. The ideas are very cool, like his original one that was added to the game.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Jan 19, 2015, 11:03:16 PM
"
xSyK0TiC wrote:
"
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
GGG is in the process of folding. It's clear to me, as I've seen other companies pretty much acting the same way. Pity.

I think it's slow enough a decay that we can't call it folding yet.

Act 4 will be their last chance to get back to stride though. Firmly believe that.

If this is true or close to reality then I am saddened. I love PoE, what it was, what it is (somewhat), and what it could be.

I'm saddened to read that too - especially because I don't really know what it refers to. We're trying very hard to make everyone happy with the supporter uniques, and for each case of someone being disappointed there are dozens of successful ones that people are happy with (and many more that are almost finished).

One thing to note before drawing conclusions about the company or future of the game is that a majority of our development output since late 2013 has been on an expansion that we haven't even begun to tease yet. It's coming soon and it's big! While most people understand that the periods of quietness aren't stagnation (just hard work on secret future expansions), it's very interesting to see a few community members switch from saying "They don't make content anymore!" to "Where did all this content come from?" as we announce/release something large.

Edit: this reply is beginning to sound defensive. I'm sorry - my main point of replies in this thread is that we're putting more resources towards the Uniques process so that problems like the one discussed here don't happen!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Jan 19, 2015, 11:59:50 PM
"
I hugged the op meanie! :P

We all thought it was aimed at us :(
dlrr: thanks for the feedback!

I'll have another meeting with the guys and we'll try to go for more transparency with the timelines in the process.

One thing I really wanted to do was email every past Unique-designing supporter to see how things are going, but our concern is that'll create an overwhelming flood of people suddenly taking interest in making their item now (having been prodded by such contact - many are happily waiting for inspiration to strike). Do you have a suggestion for how we can handle following up with people without causing this problem?
"
I don't want to be "Captain Hindsight" here, but I don't quite understand why we didn't just go in order of who purchased their pack first. Granted, this would probably take a lot longer to get through the process, but I do think these scenarios where people feel they were not getting the full attention they deserved would not have occurred.

Very frequently, supporters stop answering emails for many months and then want to resume later. This is absolutely no problem for us, but does prevent us strictly finishing them in the order they were ordered. Also, sometimes people go through the entire process in a matter of days and their item gets into the game in the next patch. It basically depends on what balance/implementation boundaries it pushes.

"

Do I regret purchasing the pack? No. I am happy with the end result, and I was happy to have the opportunity to support GGG (though if I'm being honest, I'm not so sure how much profit they're -really- making off these packs due to the amount of time that has to be dedicated to each one). Do I wish it had been a smoother process? Absolutely.

The packs weren't really about profit - most of the uniques cost us far more to make than the packs made us (not even counting the other physical goods, large quantity of microtransaction points, etc). However, they are still incredibly useful because they allow users to make their mark on the game and to feel invested in its design. We have to add uniques anyway, so having them make supporters feel good is even better! This is why it's critically important for us to get this process to be as good as possible. The feedback in this and similar threads is very useful!

I feel sorry for the designers working on the uniques because they're working as hard as they can to get through them. It's my fault in terms of resource allocation, but this is improving as we get people trained.

As a side note, the Grandmaster process appears vastly superior - while the map isn't released so you don't yet know how many we've processed, the designers working on Grandmasters have a much easier time because most of the supporters' "design" work is done in the game client setting up the character, rather than by a chain of emails with varying expectations.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Would you mind telling us Chris? Do the number of supporter uniques already exceed the the amount that can be released within one human lifespan? Assuming human lifespan to be 60 years, in others words most of us would not live to get to see all the supporter uniques released.

We're generally not selling any new ones (ruled out for Act Four supporter packs also), so we'll get through them pretty soon we hope.
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
"
jujuman wrote:
I still don't even have my Unique from the Diamond Supporter pack, after about 6 or so emails I just gave up trying to get the item made. Was really disappointed with my avatar also, they refused to give me a full size version like the other supporters were given. I was told that they dont give out a full size version of the image.

Maybe one day...

Only a few got a full size version of their Avatar. And I think, that is because at the time, the Artists didn't check with their superiors whether it is Ok or not.

And I am sorry to say this, but the Image you chose isn't really fit for a small frame.
It might be cool on a full size version, but the goal should have been to make something fit for an Avatar.

The full size images were a task of good will, and a fresh face, which ended up very old after a few months on the task. We were so into the idea of custom content that we kinda lost track of what it would mean to carry on in a high performance fashion and how much time we would sink into each individual item. Full size avatar images are pretty much a medium size digital painting, if executed at a high level would take far more time than a diamond unique.
Apologies from the team on that. We now advise to keep avatars quite simple and bold as to not clutter an image, and have a clear avatar that is legible at the size we have.

Like the diamond/supporter uniques we wanted to bring you, the players, a great product, and something intimate in terms of video game purchases. I don't think we, the artists understood the massive success PoE would have then and continuing up until now. As Chris has already said, its not about profit, we can spend a huge amount of time on a lot of custom content.

I can vouch for the art team in saying that we're dedicated to bringing you the best version of PoE/Wraeclast we can, and you're all gonna love act 4. Apologies for any broken expectations many have experienced, but bare with us as we sort it out.

I look forward to doing many more uniques in the future! :D
Last edited by CamGGG on Jan 20, 2015, 5:25:18 AM
Hi guys,

This thread has been locked by request of the dlrr. If you have any questions or concerns about this please feel free to email support@grindinggear.com.

Thanks,
Rob
Need help with something? Feel free to email support@grindinggear.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info