[2.4] The Dy'Ness Tank

"

That looks awesome! I may have to try out a duelist next time. I figured the guardian had some nice extra benefits for what I was looking at. And you didnt hijack anything. Thanks to everyone who is keeping this thread alive. Come 3.0 I will get the front page updated.

Thanks! The gladiator is definitely worth a shot, particularly in temporary leagues. You can gear it up quite cheaply.

While my computer is fried and I can't play any games, I figure I may as well keep posting. Below is a build proposal for the original CI regen tank idea. I've been running this for a long time now (pre-ascendancy, but don't exactly remember which patch). I posted something about this maybe a year ago, but it got buried. Given the better state of poe.planner and other tools, it's easier to explain now.

Some Build Math
Consider the following build:
Spoiler
http://poeplanner.com/AAcAAPsAAAB72E2UoNpiaHQYVvnoQYe3Pv4K8kU64aZXTeP-jzWStfJuqkrIiq-QEXvDeA3AGm87qW534wHchNlHfr02ZKNhIYTv2sEuU9NvdO0FLXlowQRfP_ZIxFiDzDwtg1_Grgthr2xo8nwOp1VboAxfHKdTpYLHKPpXyQ186rq0DMrTvoqhL5Mn74j5N9fPSbF_xhGWDki3MOhaJohsCyL0bRnZWxslS67pAhFQNbmnK8HF7BgsvxXXhq5WY7iTHNyPGuvumuBFnVNSpwiPRpuh99eESFxrw23i9wFvi3odFPrS98Fwu9kTL28XLySwgKRd8isKES80CjdmAAAAAAA=

I'm going to assume that all 7 jewel slots in the tree have 12% energy from within jewels. This is absurdly expensive right now (and only available in the permanent leagues) but I have them equipped, so that's what I'm going with (obviously feel free to adjust the math below if you don't have legacy gems).

Let's do some math on this build:
Spoiler

Using poe.planner, we can see that we have 290 intelligence and 232% increased maximum energy shield from the tree. We also have 7 energy from within jewels, each of which, by themselves, provide 12% increased energy shield.

But wait! We have 106% increased life from the tree as well, most of which is converted into energy shield. The only two nodes that we do not convert are the Nullification node (by the shadow, with 5% increased maximum life) and the "armor and life" node adjacent to the Warrior's Blood node (4% increased maximum life).

However, all except one of the nodes on the scion life wheel get covered by two energy from within jewels, meaning that they provide 10% increased maximum energy shield and 5% reduced maximum life (the node we miss double-dipping on is the one at 11:00, two nodes clockwise from the Constitution notable).

This means, from life alone, we get:
106% (initial value)
-5% (Nullification)
-4% (armor and life)
+ 6*5% (counting double-dipping on 6/7 life nodes in the scion life wheel)
------------------------
127% increased energy shield.

Now if we sum up our increased energy shield:
232% (base)
+ (290/5) = 58% (from intelligence)
+ (7*12) = 84% (from energy from withins)
+ 127% (from life calculation)
------------------------
502% increased energy shield.

This obviously does not include the CI 15% more bonus.

Modulo my math on energy shield being accurate (please double-check me), this build has 502% increased energy shield (before the CI 15% more bonus, but counting intelligence and jewels), 14% energy shield regen from the tree (life regen with ZO), and... well, that's about it. There's very little in terms of damage, but you're clearly in the wrong place if you're reading this thread and you want DPS.

While Dy'Ness has not posted his 2.6 build, I generated what I thought it would be based upon his 2.4 build. This is just my best guess--please feel free to chime in if you think I missed the mark here:

Spoiler

http://poeplanner.com/AAcAAPsAAAB72E2UoNpiaHQYVvnogsco-lfJDXw3g6brLKbqujQKN2a0DMrTvoqhL5Mn74j5N9fPSbF_xsHF7BgsvxXXhq5WY4_68NVJURGWDki3MOhaJohd8isKES9sCyL0bRkRUDW5pyvZWxslS67pAriTHNyPGuvumuBFnVNSpwiPRh0U-tL3wZuh99eESFxrw23i9wFvi3pwu9kTL28XLySwgKRmnrcxjHaePClP7DiCm-0gtoZ8S2jyfA6nVVugr2wLYcauDF9TpRynxPYn7QYO1HwJ9hku2WFXDfGsKS58uBo-Xz_2SMRYxBWWbJHOu-3zm2hlQ2M8LYNfAAAAAAA=

We can also do the math on the increased energy shield from this build. I'll assume 12% energy from within jewels in all jewel slots (even though this would be a suboptimal option on at least two, possibly three of the jewel slots) to get an upper bound on the increased energy shield.

Spoiler

Using poe.planner, we can see that we have 340 intelligence and 284% increased maximum energy shield from the tree. We also have 5 energy from within jewels, each of which, by themselves, provide 12% increased energy shield.

Let's move on to the life. This time we have 55% increased life from the tree as well, most of which is converted into energy shield. Once again the only two nodes that we do not convert are the Nullification node (by the shadow, with 5% increased maximum life) and the "armor and life" node adjacent to the Warrior's Blood node (4% increased maximum life). Note that the Combat Stamina node might not be converted in practice as well.

This means, from life alone, we get:
55% (initial value)
-5% (Nullification)
-4% (armor and life)
------------------------
46% increased energy shield.

Now if we sum up our increased energy shield:
284% (base)
+ (340/5) = 68% (from intelligence)
+ (5*12) = 60% (from energy from withins)
+ 46% (from life calculation)
------------------------
458% increased energy shield.

This obviously does not include the CI 15% more bonus.

Looking at the math, we have an upper bound of 458% increased energy shield (again before the CI 15% more bonus, but after intelligence and jewels have been factored in). We also get 12.9% increased ES regen (when counting ZO) through the tree as well.

However, we get a couple of other things that the previous build does not. The +1 endurance charge and .2% regen/endurance charge is probably the biggest thing, but, even with full endurance charges, this still puts us below the previous build in terms of regen. This build also picks up 40% increased fire damage, 18% increased elemental damage, and 5% chance to freeze, ignite, and shock, that the first build does not.

Summary
Depending on your preferences (and how rich you are--you really need legacy energy from withins to make this worthwhile) you can trade off some DPS for even more ES and regen (at least 44% increased ES before 15% more multiplier if you are rich, and 1.1/.3 regen without/with endurance charges up). Again, let me know if I've screwed some of the math up somewhere. If you want the most survivable build possible, this might be it.

Ascendancies
I commented on this in a recent post, so I won't say too much here. The skeleton of this tree comes close to all of the classes except the ranger, so we can be really flexible in terms of ascendancy. The best three ascendancies seem to be the trickster, occultist, and guardian, but which one is best depends on the primary skill chosen. You'll have almost exactly the same number of useful skill points if you go witch, and lose one skill point if you go templar compared to the witch or scion, so the math and build viability aren't affected much by the choice of starting class. The shadow will cost you four skill points compared to the witch or scion, but you make up for that with some incredible bonuses if you choose trickster.

Thanks!
If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Let me know if you spot any mistakes or see any more ways to optimize for more energy shield/regen. Thanks!
Hmmm will Give it a try
Pis farme ta yeul.
Last edited by Dieselboy777 on Sep 21, 2017, 3:26:08 AM
"
Dieselboy777 wrote:
Hmmm will Give it a try

Unless you want to play in standard with access to legacy gear, I suggest you use my Scionic Flametank rather than the Dy'Ness tank until such time as Dy'Ness updates the original ES regeneration tank for the new era.

My flametank started out as a variant build of Dy'Ness tank several years ago and has been updated for 3.0, making good use of the new game mechanics available and overcoming to a large degree the severe ES nerf - though it will never reach the ES heights of pre-3.0 except in standard.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Guys, some update for the 3.0/3.1?

In standard, with the three pre-3.0, i have lost around 6000ES....
My PGs
Crystal_Cooper (Standard League) Corrie_Swanson (Standard League) Hermione_Granger (Standard League) Daenerys_Targaryen_ (Standard League) Randy_Warlord (Standard League)
I have fix but is expensive, standard only, u can't kill shaper, low dps, low armour.

It's never been tested.
https://pastebin.com/MDi1BQF5

"
3lenis wrote:
I have fix but is expensive, standard only, u can't kill shaper, low dps, low armour.

It's never been tested.
https://pastebin.com/MDi1BQF5

Ok tnx ;)
My PGs
Crystal_Cooper (Standard League) Corrie_Swanson (Standard League) Hermione_Granger (Standard League) Daenerys_Targaryen_ (Standard League) Randy_Warlord (Standard League)
Last edited by Randy_TheStalker on Dec 29, 2017, 1:05:26 PM
@BeerPact
Anybody tried resurrecting this build with Discipline/Clarity Watcher's Eyes?

With 10-ish jewel slots you could theoretically hit 15-20K ES with 5K regen without investing in any regen nodes, Shav's Revelation, or legacy gear... would take a whole lotta currency though :x

Unoptimized sample POB:
https://pastebin.com/CTmsm3L3

(ignore the main skill/gems, was just messing with a tree for a different build)
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Jul 27, 2018, 8:46:20 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info