Mechanics thread

There is an unofficial DPS spreadsheet now that uses all the combat mechanics discussed in this and other threads. If you are interested, you can use it to see all those combat calculations in action.
"
Raghin wrote:
i thought shock was triggered only if light damage was dealt in the attack? why would it matter how much is in the damage?

Because the Shock debuff is really powerful, and shouldn't be extremely easy to get.
Its duration is based on how much damage is dealt versus the target's max Life. if it's below a certain threshold/duration, it will simply not apply at all.
I'm still a bit confused with Shock damage after reading this:

"

Lightning damage
If you land a critical strike with an attack or spell that deals lightning damage, the enemy becomes Shocked. This can be stacked up to three times on one target. In this state, monsters or players take 40% additional damage per instance of Shock. Shock stacks additively with itself, for a maximum of 120% with a stack of three. The damage multiplier itself applies multiplicatively with your final damage, since it it increasing the damage the enemy takes, rather than the damage you deal.

Does landing a critical strike with a lightning spell give a 100% chance to shock the enemy?

But you can still shock them without a critical strike correct? I'm trying to understand this.
Last edited by PhreEkGarden on Jan 13, 2013, 11:33:54 AM
all status effects are 100% on crit. duration of shock and freeze and chill are based on damage dealt and must be over .25 seconds. chance to happen without crits are by mods and passives of skills or the grid tree.
If I take the Point Blank key stone, would the damage for the skill I use in a ranged attack totem benefit from Point Blank?
point blank calculates from source of projectile attack. range totem uses projectile attacks for you from itself using your stats (and currently equiped bow) as benefit. so yes it benefits as the conditions are both true.

currently same goes for fork and each step in chaining, using the split or redirection as new source for calculating point blank. there was word to change this.
"
Malice wrote:
The regeneration rate of life gained from life leech is capped at 20% of maximum life per second. If you have 1000 maximum life, and leech 600 life with a single attack, it will take three seconds for that life to be applied to your current life. You always get the full amount of life leeched, it is only the rate at which it regenerates that is capped - if you leech a large amount of life during a battle, you may find that the regeneration continues long after the battle is over. Similar to flasks, the regeneration from leech will stop if you reach maximum life.

I've got a question. Let's say your attack deals damage such that you leech 10% of your maximum life back. Which of the following happens?
1) You instantly regain 10% of your maximum life
2) You gain 10% of your maximum life over 0.5 seconds

If it's the latter, then each percent of life leech could be explained as providing a regeneration effect, set at 20% of your maximum life per second, with a duration of
damage/(20*maxHP)
seconds, with additional durations queued to follow any preexisting durations. A change to leech rate (such as from a quality Life Leech support gem) would alter both the regeneration rate and the duration, keeping overall leech amount the same.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 13, 2013, 5:48:19 PM
idk if it'll help explain but based on ground slam and a marader with low life (no gear with life boost but still has "some" passives). tons of small damage can add up together to reach cap of per second. usually ending up to be longer than 2 seconds as it was AoE after all.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
If it's the latter, then each percent of life leech could be explained as providing a regeneration effect, set at 20% of your maximum life per second, with a duration of
damage/(20*maxHP) seconds, with additional durations queued to follow any preexisting durations. A change to leech rate (such as from a quality Life Leech support gem) would alter both the regeneration rate and the duration, keeping overall leech amount the same.

That is exactly how it works. As such, the 20% Life/sec isn't actually a cap (Malice described it as a cap in the quote). :)
Hey guys, I've two questions:
1. Carnage Heart has "25% reduced maximum life". Does that mean it reduces your life the same way that health nodes increase it(from your base life), or does it reduce your total life after all health bonuses have been calculated?

2. The life leech on claws doesn't quite make much sense to me. From what I understand, you can't life leech more than 20% of your maximum life per second. Considering that the claw passives are near the shadow and shadows mostly use energy shield, I don't understand how you can make use of that much life leech(6% per claw on some), especially taking into account that there are also passives that grant life leech with claws. Am I completely missing something here?
IGN: infested
Last edited by infested_ on Jan 17, 2013, 1:07:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info