Mechanics thread

no crit comes with the chance-to-cause-status effects.

In terms of "which is better", crit weakness is kind of a tar baby. Unless you're built a very specific way, CW won't add much in the way of DPS. It should have a certain niche to fill, but I never really achieved the goal I wanted with it.

On top of that, chance to freeze/burn/shock stuff is entirely random on a per-hit basis. That is, if you do some AoE and it hits 10 monsters, each monster individually has a chance to ignite. Not so with crit: it's either all of them, or none. Usually.

Plain no-crit statuses are definitely good for being more reliable and spread out. Crits with status effects are very powerful but they aren't predictable.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Dec 14, 2012, 4:40:26 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
no crit comes with the chance-to-cause-status effects.

In terms of "which is better", crit weakness is kind of a tar baby. Unless you're built a very specific way, CW won't add much in the way of DPS. It should have a certain niche to fill, but I never really achieved the goal I wanted with it.

On top of that, chance to freeze/burn/shock stuff is entirely random on a per-hit basis. That is, if you do some AoE and it hits 10 monsters, each monster individually has a chance to ignite. Not so with crit: it's either all of them, or none. Usually.

Plain no-crit statuses are definitely good for being more reliable and spread out. Crits with status effects are very powerful but they aren't predictable.

hmm, interesting.....doing something like chance to x on hit with elemental proliferation would be pretty reliable than.
ign = ultrahiangle
How is added fire support gem (and hatred aura) calculated?

For example if...

added fire support gem = +30% phys added as fire

base weapon phys = 5-10

increased phys = 100%

increased fire = 100%

and no other modifiers... what is my total fire damage from the gem?
5 *0.3 = 1.5 *2 = 3
10 *0.3 = 3 *2 = 6

fire damage is 3-6 while physical with given information is 10-20.
added % damage instead of convert % damage.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
5 *0.3 = 1.5 *2 = 3
10 *0.3 = 3 *2 = 6

fire damage is 3-6 while physical with given information is 10-20.
added % damage instead of convert % damage.

You forgot a +100%

5*(1+100%+100%)*0.3 = 4.5 rounded to 5
10*(1+100%+100%)*0.3 = 9

This is true only if the 100% increased physical damage are not on the weapon.
"
Kissan wrote:

You forgot a +100%

5*(1+100%+100%)*0.3 = 4.5 rounded to 5
10*(1+100%+100%)*0.3 = 9

This is true only if the 100% increased physical damage are not on the weapon.

He did forget the 100% phys but what you wrote is wrong; increased fire is applied after the conversion:

5*(1+100%)*0.3*(1+100%) = 6
10*(1+100%)*0.3*(1+100%) = 12
IGN: RagingShien
"
Shien wrote:

He did forget the 100% phys but what you wrote is wrong; increased fire is applied after the conversion:

5*(1+100%)*0.3*(1+100%) = 6
10*(1+100%)*0.3*(1+100%) = 12

No. Mod with "increased" are additive (except for buff with inner force but that's not the case).

You make them multiplicative with your formula. You would have reason if the mod was 100% More fire damage.

"
Kissan wrote:
No. Mod with "increased" are additive (except for buff with inner force but that's not the case).

You make them multiplicative with your formula. You would have reason if the mod was 100% More fire damage.

Yes, mods with increased are additive however one is physical and the other is fire so they do not mix. The 100% increased to physical is applied to the 5-10 base physical damage and 30% of that is added as fire damage which the 100% increased to fire is applied to.
I will quote Mark's ealier answer in this thread :
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
raic000 wrote:
That's the way it is.

Say you have 10-20 physical damage weapon and passives that increase your weapon damage by total of 100%, you'll do
20-40 physical damage

Now, if you start using infernal blow that converts 50% damage to fire that will be
10-20 physical
10-20 fire

If you have fire damage and/or fire damage on weapons bonus of, say a grand total of 50% you'll do
10-20 physical
15-30 fire

So fire portion of the damage got increased twice, and not additively but multiplicatively, which would mean that half of your weapon damage first got increased by 100% and then that total was again increased by 50% which would sum it up as not a 150% increase, but 200% (probably the main reason why those weapon elemental damage nodes were nerfed).
This is false. Additive increases are never made multiplicative by conversion.

In the above example, you have 10-20 base physical damage, half of which is converted to fire.
Thus you have 5-10 base physical damage, affected by a total 100% increase, give 10-20 total physical damage.
You also have 5-10 base fire damage converted from physical, affected by the 100% increase and the 50% increase, so a total increase of 150%. This gives a total of 13 - 25 fire damage.

Additive increases are never applied multiplicatively. That would make them broken.

Added Fire damage works in the same way (it doesn't reduce you physical damage but it's the only difference in the mechanism).
Last edited by Kissan on Dec 16, 2012, 8:19:57 AM
"
Kissan wrote:
I will quote Mark's ealier answer in this thread :
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
raic000 wrote:
That's the way it is.

Say you have 10-20 physical damage weapon and passives that increase your weapon damage by total of 100%, you'll do
20-40 physical damage

Now, if you start using infernal blow that converts 50% damage to fire that will be
10-20 physical
10-20 fire

If you have fire damage and/or fire damage on weapons bonus of, say a grand total of 50% you'll do
10-20 physical
15-30 fire

So fire portion of the damage got increased twice, and not additively but multiplicatively, which would mean that half of your weapon damage first got increased by 100% and then that total was again increased by 50% which would sum it up as not a 150% increase, but 200% (probably the main reason why those weapon elemental damage nodes were nerfed).
This is false. Additive increases are never made multiplicative by conversion.

In the above example, you have 10-20 base physical damage, half of which is converted to fire.
Thus you have 5-10 base physical damage, affected by a total 100% increase, give 10-20 total physical damage.
You also have 5-10 base fire damage converted from physical, affected by the 100% increase and the 50% increase, so a total increase of 150%. This gives a total of 13 - 25 fire damage.

Additive increases are never applied multiplicatively. That would make them broken.

Added Fire damage works in the same way (it doesn't reduce you physical damage but it's the only difference in the mechanism).

Interesting. I checked the damage calculation of one of my characters only yesterday and it worked out to be multiplicative. Guess I'll have to check it again.

Edit: Re-checked with a different weapon and skill combo and it is indeed additive. My original setup just happened to yield the same result when rounded.
Last edited by Shien on Dec 16, 2012, 9:46:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info