Mechanics thread

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
taekvideo wrote:

Is this relative to max hp of the target like stuns?
I would think it is since my level 48 maurader with nearly 1k hp seems to be pretty much immune to these effects.
Even phase 2 merciless merveil's cold wave thing rarely chilled me, and it only lasted for a split second when it did.
Yes, it's based on max HP.

Why? What does having more health have to do with status effects? Beefy bodybuilders should have no less chance of being burned than a slender girl. That is a huge advantage for people who stack health vs people who go a different route. You shouldnt HAVE to stack health to be effective vs status ailments. Yes I'm aware there are passives you can pick up. Why should someone who takes an HP node get extra life, status resistance, and stun resistance all from one node while someone else has to waste an entire point just to get one of those bonuses? Shock, burn, ignite, and freeze should be completely based on damage vs mitigation and resistances and not be linked to health.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Dec 11, 2011, 9:35:11 PM
"
FaceLicker wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
taekvideo wrote:

Is this relative to max hp of the target like stuns?
I would think it is since my level 48 maurader with nearly 1k hp seems to be pretty much immune to these effects.
Even phase 2 merciless merveil's cold wave thing rarely chilled me, and it only lasted for a split second when it did.
Yes, it's based on max HP.

Why? What does having more health have to do with status effects? Beefy bodybuilders should have no less chance of being burned than a slender girl. That is a huge advantage for people who stack health vs people who go a different route. You shouldnt HAVE to stack health to be effective vs status ailments. Yes I'm aware there are passives you can pick up. Why should someone who takes an HP node get extra life, status resistance, and stun resistance all from one node while someone else has to waste an entire point just to get one of those bonuses? Shock, burn, ignite, and freeze should be completely based on damage vs mitigation and resistances and not be linked to health.
Because taking half your life as cold damage intuitively should do more freezing than taking a twentieth.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Because taking half your life as cold damage intuitively should do more freezing than taking a twentieth.
Even if it's the same amount? So a character who has 100hp deserves to be frozen with 50 points of cold damage, while a someone else with 1000hp who is dealt the same 50 damage, shouldnt be? If you touch boiling water is not just as hot as if Arnold Schwarzenegger touched it? Or let's say you touch a live wire.. will you not be electrocuted just the same as anyone else? Your health vs someone else's makes no difference. You can always wear rubber gloves.. in which case that be like wearing armor in PoE. The rubber glove 'evades' the electrocution effect. Or stick your hand with the rubber glove in boiling water. It's still wet, it's still hot, but you don't get burned. Or at least not as much depending on how thick the glove(armor) is.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Dec 11, 2011, 10:20:09 PM
The train of thought is that 50 damage to 5000 hp is "1%" of damage, while 50 damage to 100 hp is "50%". Schwarzenegger is burnt only 1/20'th as much as a weaker person.
I can see how size plays into that, but not health pool. If I pour a liter of acid on you, will it not burn the same amount as if I poured it on someone else? Your body size may be relevant to the exact percentage of your body being burned, but your state of health is not relevant. Your state of health only determines how quickly you die or recover not your resistance to being burned by the acid.

Even as I write this, I can see some 'loopholes' in my argument. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with the mechanics and feel the reasoning is validated.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Dec 11, 2011, 10:45:45 PM
Think of it like this:

If person A is very strong/healthy/in good shape, and they get burned, they'll heal a lot faster than someone who's weak/unhealthy/in bad shape. The only difference compared to the game is that recovery times are much accelerated (in seconds rather than weeks), and if you recover in less than 300ms they just round it to 0.

Oh another example. You punch a scrawny weak kid with all your might, he's probably going to flinch/fall-down/cry/etc (stunned).. but punching a pro athlete that's built like a truck is not likely to phase him very much (more hp = stun resistance).

But anyways, comparing it to real life really isn't necessary. It's a game and in this game having status effects and stuns being based on damage as a percentage of max hp makes hp much more valuable... and so maybe we'll actually have people playing tanking roles (as they won't need quite as many defensive points to be effective) rather than everyone using glass cannons.

Next time around I'm probably going to take some +45 hp bonuses on my ranger rather than all skill points, though that will sacrifice a bit of damage I think it's worth it.
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
Power Charges - the +1-13 Lightning damage passive.

It adds damage to both spells and weapon attacks, right? So it is affect by both +Spell Damage and +Weapon Elemental Damage, correct?
"
konfeta wrote:
Power Charges - the +1-13 Lightning damage passive.

It adds damage to both spells and weapon attacks, right? So it is affect by both +Spell Damage and +Weapon Elemental Damage, correct?

Right.
Cool.

Does Minion Explode passive get affected by +Fire or +Spell damage?
What about the Burning damage : If i aply a "burn crit" that last for 4 sec, will it stack with another "burn crit"? - and what if the second burn crit aplication has a lower damage than the first. will it overwrite the first? or wise versa?? Is it wasted if i crit with fire damage 4 times within 4 sec on the same target or how is that??

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info