Melee is the worst bullshit ever in poe

"
Peterlerock wrote:
Lol. How would you know how often my chars die?
And even if I died all day, that would tell more about my playing skills and items/builds, than about the state of melee.

So how about answering to my post instead of stupid "you have no HC95+ char, you don't talk here"?

Seriously, you haven't leveled a melee toon (or any toon for that matter) to a point where you are surviving end game maps long enough to progress. I see a lot of guys hit 90-93 and then stop progressing because they can't survive end game maps long enough to level further. Melee was at a disadvantage before and now we are at an even greater disadvantage with the block nerf. I have managed to salvage my block build but I had to sacrifice armor and life to do it. I have survived several life nerfs since closed beta. I have also survived a nerf that cost me my pentacurse build. Whatever... I keep playing melee because it's what I WANT to play. But with each patch of nerfs; with each step they take to further streamline the passive skill tree; with each build they decide to toss into the dumpster in the name of "balance," I come closer and closer to just saying fuck this game. Melee IS trash and I don't feel like playing any other type of class at this time. In the past, I have played every class to about your average level of characters, and I have deleted them all. In the end, I wanted to just play "my main." And that guy was my tank. He has literally been driven into the ground by GGG's "balance" team.
"
Peterlerock wrote:

There's a couple other scenarios that get you killed super quick,
The rest of dangerous stuff is dangerous to ranged chars as well.
There's a lot of shit that only applies to melee
You can try to build a "tank everything" character, but usually this won't work in every scenario, so you have to find other strategies to beat certain scenarios.

Underlined some important bits because you seem to understand just fine, but want to act like you don't understand. I can't address everything, but your post is filled with contradictions and half-truths. Knowing full well that there are plenty of scenarios that kill you instantly without warning and then acting as if they aren't a big deal when melee has to facetank them to clear content. Didn't even mention desync's effect on melee survivability.

For example, you say "stuff that affects only melee" then leave out blind mobs. When you lose the ability to leech from dangerous mobs as melee you will die. Chaos resist not everyone can stack, and poison clouds can easily kill you, which ranged easily avoids completely. I have a video of nearly ripping to this and the damage happens fucking fast. It's not like chaos resist is something easily accessible to everyone and it's their fault for not stacking it.

You also say "dangerous stuff also applies to ranged chars", which isn't even close to being true. Ranged characters avoid 99% of the game's mechanics just by existing at range.

The list goes on, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Looks like SC mentality to me tbh. It's fine if you enjoy SC, but not everyone plays there where the occasional death doesn't matter as long as the build clears the majority. In HC this shit matters.

Bottom line, make a duelist and get to the top of the bloodlines ladder or your point is irrelevant. All of this is anecdotal.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Dec 29, 2014, 10:52:43 AM
Just my personal experience, doesn't mean it's general nor global :

I chose to play a nerfed spec in Bloodlines just to see how it would be doing, that is a melee evasion acrobatics (it also means "no block" now) ranger using reave with a dagger (crit was nerfed too). I am doing really well and been up to level 74 maps so far. I'm level 85 and I clean as fast if not even faster than with my Beyond character (crit split chain with Elreon crafted 350 pDPS crit Harbinger Bow that I played till 91). I don't feel squishy at all and I'm not skipping any content/bloodline mod/boss. Otherworldy extra damage devourers blue pack ? Come at me bros !

It's just my experience of it but once you reach 85+ in an HC league with early-league-just-decent gear solo, there is no miracle involved. You can't make gold out of shit. So it at least means that Melee is not "the worst bullshit ever in PoE". I did everything solo so far and I'm surely not raining in mirror worthy gear (see spoiler). My dagger costed me 7-8 chaos equiv to craft (flaring within 60-ish alts, aug, regal, Vagan craft). Most expensive piece is my unlinked Carcass that costed me 1 ex a week ago.

Now it's more than clear when you check the competitive side of the game that melee is under ranged. People should also take in consideration the massive amount of FotM mechanics that are involved in PoE community. If the BL top 5 all want to play Flameblast, good for them. I'm pretty sure there are as competitive specs as FB early league out there. But "Sheep" mentality + Twitch = FotM. Good example is Tornado Shot vs. Split Arrow. Crit Split Arrow Chain is as strong as it has ever been. I leveled as Tornado Shot during Beyond and switched to Crit Split at 80+ because it was crystal clear Split Chain was still better to AoE down big packs (Puncture as single target), with the ability to offscreen (which TS doesn't have) and not having to aim for shotguns effects etc. But TS was new, ZiggyD played it and the FotM train was on the rails. Now I read here and there that Split sucks and that TS needs to get nerfed... It really makes me laugh.

Spoiler
IGN : @Morgoth
Try Diablo III. The melee build is somehow strong enough.
How?

And here the elemental resist is weak. The ability to avoid strikes is weak (only flicker does it somehow). The damage nodes are not good enough.
It's broken.
"
Martinezz123 wrote:
Try Diablo III. The melee build is somehow strong enough.
How?

Melee has strong innate defenses in D3. It's still way more risky to play than ranged though. And melee can be 'strong enough' in PoE too :)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Melee is strong in D3 because they got a 30% dmg reduction just for being a melee class.
Thats not possible here when all classes share talent tree.

But stuff could be done to improve melee.

A. Talents at the end of melee nodes could give a small dmg reduction or a bonus to max res.

B. More Melee end game uniques. Atm so few two-handers and one handers to pick from.

C. More skills for melee, maybe something vs elemental dmg?

Still Melee isn't completly shitty, but it needs something more so its a more viable option. Especially in HC.
"
Gemdraco wrote:
I see a lot of guys hit 90-93 and then stop progressing because they can't survive end game maps long enough to level further.

I personally stop levelling not because of survival issues, but because I get bored. I want to try something new, I want to reroll something else.
Once I'm hitting ~lvl 90, I have to invest too much to progress any further. I don't want to spend muliple exalts for every gearslot, so item upgrades are not available. And I don't want to play the same two maps over and over, so levels take too long. Once a build works and proved his worth in all endgame maps, I drop it and start another.

You seem to enjoy the xp grind from 90 to 100, I don't.
But that's all that is to it: repeat playing the same maps over and over.
That's not an achievement, it's just time-consuming.

"
Legatus1982 wrote:
"
Peterlerock wrote:

There's a couple other scenarios that get you killed super quick,
The rest of dangerous stuff is dangerous to ranged chars as well.
There's a lot of shit that only applies to melee
You can try to build a "tank everything" character, but usually this won't work in every scenario, so you have to find other strategies to beat certain scenarios.

Underlined some important bits because you seem to understand just fine, but want to act like you don't understand. I can't address everything, but your post is filled with contradictions and half-truths. Knowing full well that there are plenty of scenarios that kill you instantly without warning and then acting as if they aren't a big deal when melee has to facetank them to clear content. Didn't even mention desync's effect on melee survivability.

I did mention those scenarios, but there's a solution to all of them.
And no, you don't have to facetank everything.
And Desync... Shit happens. What should I say about this? Doesn't happen too often to me, but yeah, it's annoying.

"

For example, you say "stuff that affects only melee" then leave out blind mobs. When you lose the ability to leech from dangerous mobs as melee you will die.

Blind got nerfed to the ground. I can attack right through it and still don't miss attacks.

"

You also say "dangerous stuff also applies to ranged chars", which isn't even close to being true. Ranged characters avoid 99% of the game's mechanics just by existing at range.

Yeah, that's what I wrote.
But of those 99%, only like 10% are really dangerous.
I'm not trying to say that Melee is as good as Ranged, it obviously isn't. But for everything the game throws at me (including desync), there's counters available to me.

Every single death I ever had was avoidable (and not by AltF4), I died because I didn't care, yoloed in like a madman, because I wasn't prepared, because I didn't look what I was fighting, because I didn't use my skills, because I went places i shouldn't have went, because I was too slow to react... Never because the situation was impossible to beat.

Yes, Ranged avoids a lot of thse situations.
But Melee can beat these situations, too.
And I feel much more pride and joy when I beat the game as a melee.

"

Bottom line, make a duelist and get to the top of the bloodlines ladder or your point is irrelevant. All of this is anecdotal.

My bloodlines Marauder is 77 now. I will never compete in ladder because of the absurd time investment needed. I will still post in the forums.

And it's just cheap and bullshit to tell someone he isn't allowed to discuss because he doesn't fulfill requirement xyz.
"Your opinion doesn't mean shit because you don't have a lvl 100 hardcore shieldcharge duelist. Bla bla bla, I'll ignore everything you write."
Yeah, sounds legit. Not.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"

I personally stop levelling not because of survival issues, but because I get bored. I want to try something new, I want to reroll something else.
Once I'm hitting ~lvl 90, I have to invest too much to progress any further. I don't want to spend muliple exalts for every gearslot, so item upgrades are not available. And I don't want to play the same two maps over and over, so levels take too long. Once a build works and proved his worth in all endgame maps, I drop it and start another.

Those extra 10 points are suppose to be what makes your build go from very strong to borderline op and undefeatable.

"
You seem to enjoy the xp grind from 90 to 100, I don't.
But that's all that is to it: repeat playing the same maps over and over.
That's not an achievement, it's just time-consuming.

Thats all fine and understandable, except getting to level 100 is an achievement, it might be the same 2-5 maps over and over again, but hell all the game is is killing stuff over and over again, the layouts shouldn't really matter.

"
Underlined some important bits because you seem to understand just fine, but want to act like you don't understand. I can't address everything, but your post is filled with contradictions and half-truths. Knowing full well that there are plenty of scenarios that kill you instantly without warning and then acting as if they aren't a big deal when melee has to facetank them to clear content. Didn't even mention desync's effect on melee survivability

Well desync isn't as big of an issue as people make it out to be, you can protect yourself for it and plan for it, using it as an excuse to me just means a poor\unplanned character. Yes you can die to quite a few things in a seconds notice, but you have to understand the risks ahead of time.

"
Blind got nerfed to the ground. I can attack right through it and still don't miss attacks.

Tell me you are RT, cause that would just be funny :)

"
I'm not trying to say that Melee is as good as Ranged, it obviously isn't. But for everything the game throws at me (including desync), there's counters available to me.

Basically sums up melee in a bunch. I don't know what people want from melee in PoE or any ARPG game because all I hear are complains and NO solutions. They added new skills designed for meleee, which is nice, but I don't know what else they can do to make people happy.

"

My bloodlines Marauder is 77 now. I will never compete in ladder because of the absurd time investment needed. I will still post in the forums.

Lol like you have to be on top of the ladder in order to make a judgement on melee. If you played or have played it in the past everyone knows its subpar, but still quite good enough to play.

"
And it's just cheap and bullshit to tell someone he isn't allowed to discuss because he doesn't fulfill requirement xyz.
"Your opinion doesn't mean shit because you don't have a lvl 100 hardcore shieldcharge duelist. Bla bla bla, I'll ignore everything you write."
Yeah, sounds legit. Not.

Lol I know right, its like people aren't allowed to have an opionion unless they've maxed out a character.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"

Those extra 10 points are suppose to be what makes your build go from very strong to borderline op and undefeatable.

I know, but the "time vs reward" to get there doesn't feel right for me (only speaking for myself).
I will not do it. I don't judge people who enjoy it (though I think they are doing something very boring and stupid), but I expect not to be judged as well.

"

"

Tell me you are RT, cause that would just be funny :)

Obviously I'm not speaking about RT (though my current dude has it).

"

"

Basically sums up melee in a bunch. I don't know what people want from melee in PoE or any ARPG game because all I hear are complains and NO solutions. They added new skills designed for meleee, which is nice, but I don't know what else they can do to make people happy.

You could give melee more tank.
You could cut the attacks per second on bows in half.
You could cut spell damage in half.
You could limit tankability on ranged dudes.
You could add more monsters that blind/silence/freeze/stunlock casters and bow users.

So that a spellcaster/ranger needs the support of a melee dude who tanks shit up front, while he is safe and does the DpS.
But that's MMORPG shit, not really a good idea in an ARPG.

I like melee. I don't like ranged.
Mostly because it doesn't matter what monsters you approach, they are all the same.

Voidbearers - shoot them up.
Avian Retches - shoot them up.
Heavy hitters like Bone giants - shoot them up.

What's the point of this?
What reward do you get for playing?
Do you think you deserve your levels? Do you think you played well?

When I play Melee and fight certain mobs and beat them, I feel rewarded.
When I play Ranged, I don't give a fuck. And I get annoyed super fast by stuff I don't really notice as melee (repetition of the same stuff), because it isn't all the same. Suddenly there's a world of a difference between "multiple projectiles" or not, between "powerful crits" or not, etc.
The game is actually pretty good, if you decide to fight it.
If you don't (play from range), it is a boring grindfest.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Dec 29, 2014, 2:27:11 PM
"
I know, but the "time vs reward" to get there doesn't feel right for me (only speaking for myself).
I will not do it. I don't judge people who enjoy it (though I think they are doing something very boring and stupid), but I expect not to be judged as well.

Understandable.

"
Obviously I'm not speaking about RT (though my current dude has it).

Oks

"
You could give melee more tank.

How, this game doesn't lock down users to being ranged or melee, this isn't D3 where the classes limit the skills.

"
You could cut the attacks per second on bows in half.

So nerf the hell out of another build\weapon? Does anyone remember open beta where everyone was melee except for the rare lightning arrow users. Bow users are a new thing, not something that has been prominent throughout all of poe.

"
You could cut spell damage in half.

So nerf another build again, do you want everyone to be melee again?

"
You could limit tankability on ranged dudes.

How? There isn't a distinction between melee and ranged in terms of classes to set this.

"
You could add more monsters that blind/silence/freeze/stunlock casters and bow users.

Would they only blind\silence\freeze\stunlock casters and bow users? They added the projectile reducing things, bubble minions, added farshot to firedogs, quite a few things were done to make ranged less desirable.

"
So that a spellcaster/ranger need the support of a melee dude who tanks shit up front, while he is save and does the DpS.

If they added followers to tank some of the stuff sure, but I don't want to be a super squishy ranged character unable to do most content.

"
But that's MMORPG shit, not really a good idea in an ARPG.

Exactly, I mean this game can be played in parties, but I also like to play solo. I dont want to be forced to play with others in order to do maps.

"
I like melee. I don't like ranged.
Mostly because it doesn't matter what monsters you approach, they are all the same.

Something good about melee is smashing faces in.

"
Voidbearers - shoot them up.
Avian Retches - shoot them up.
Heavy hitters like Bone giants - shoot them up.

Lol, yes you kill mobs.

"
What's the point of this?
What reward do you get for playing?
Do you think you deserve your levels? Do you think you played well?

Ranged builds actually start off fairly weak compared to melee, (spells on the other hand are more fluctuated) The point is to kill monsters and get loot, if you do it while in melee or if I do it while at ranged, we both accomplish the same thing.

"

When I play Melee and fight certain mobs and beat them, I feel rewarded.

Exactly, while playing at ranged you should feel more like dodging things.

"
When I play Ranged, I don't give a fuck. And I get annoyed super fast by stuff I don't really notice as melee (repetition of the same stuff), because it isn't all the same.

That is just like your opinion man. Either way you are killing mobs, don't see how this is that big of a deal.

Quick question if I use this am I melee or ranged?

https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info